Weight Gain

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2013, 08:44 PM
estherm's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am down to be honest.....

Not sure how to get out of the funk...

I started out at 166.. ( or lost down to 166) in the beginning..

Then hovered at 170 for a long time.. But am now over 180. And that is in the last 3 weeks or less!!!

So a ten pound weight gain!!!

I am only 5.2 so I am really feeling and see it...

I am the type of person that the weight gain doesn;t motivate me to watch it ..Instead it makes me give up and eat worse..

Can someone give me a kick in the butt!!

I was doing so well in the beginning ( due to no appetite and being sick ) but now I am just ballooning!

My goal was 185 or 190 for a total weight gain.. Not sure how that is going to happen now with so far to go yet!!

Sorry for the long whine.. but hoping if I hear about others eating habits.. Healthy low cal pregnancy craving busters etc I can get back on track...

Also we are going camping in a few days for a week and that means lots of campfires.. hot dogs.. pancakes.. etc easy foods which will pack on the pounds as well as lots of water retention.. any cheap easy alternatives?

Thanks ladies.. And if all the advice I get is..... a butt kicking.. I welcome it cause I need it

Es

Thank you Jaidensmum!
July 4th, 2013, 07:53 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm totally not good for a butt-kicking or a stern talking-to, because I feel like I am in the same boat as you. But just wanted to let you know that I feel your pain, and can totally understand how you feel right now.

I hope you find a way to feel better about yourself (I hope I do too - pregnancy weight gain SUCKS). *hugs*
July 4th, 2013, 08:17 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
To put it in perspective, ten pounds isn't that much in the grand scheme of things! Esp this far along! Kudos on only gaining 10? I've gained about 18
July 4th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Leah
I'm my highest ever by a long shot, thanks to some I put on over the holidays and with SO cooking versus my single Lean Cuisine days. I see it everywhere. I was like 10 lbs plus off on my estimated prepregnancy weight. The doctors were like, umm, lady, have you really put on 15 pounds in your first 9 weeks?

I don't have many tips, but the few I've got come from a couple years ago when I got on a healthier kick and was probably in my best shape ever.
- Do not cut everything bad out. Give cheat days, cheat meals. I've always figured if you're hardcore craving something, you need it.
- Find healthier alternatives you actually like. I could deal with English muffins with fake spray butter, so it was an easy sub for donuts and bagels.
- Think about drink alternatives too. There's a lot of empty calories and sugar in a lot of drinks.
- If you're a fast food eater like me, check out the nutrition guides to see what's a healthier option on their menu. I found stuff on most menus.
- Walking is awesome exercise. Park further if you can, etc.

That's non pregnant me though. Pregnant me usually parks as close as possible because my hips hurt when I walk. Pregnant me has lots of empty calories because I want, need, those gummi savers now. And Andes mints. Pregnant me gets crazy starving hungry at the drop of a hat and spontaneously drives through the closest place with food. Pregnant me wants a nap, not to walk. Im just going with it within reason, and thinking about afterwards. You just can't make yourself miserable, otherwise you'll never stick to it. And no guilting yourself, either.
iCathy likes this.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
July 4th, 2013, 10:19 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm no help either. Usually I would be but Dh has had a sweet tooth this week and I eat everything he brings me lol. That includes about a dozen homemade chocolate chip cookies

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

July 4th, 2013, 12:41 PM
happywife's Avatar Super Mommy
Im right there with you, I am also 5'2 and I started at 155. I am upto 173 and Ive gone from 166 to 173 in a very short time. I absolutely hate my rear-end. We are celebrating my twins and my DH's bday at MIL & FIL's Saturday and I am dreading wearing a bathing suit....

Married to my bestfriend Graham and proud mommy to Codi - 15, Kevin - 13, DJ - 11, Mylyn & McKynlee - 3 & Graham Jr. ~born on Earth, living in Heaven ~ May 9, 2012
July 4th, 2013, 12:50 PM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You sound just like me lol I'm 5' 4" and started out 155lbs, my last appt at 24 weeks I was up to 171lbs! I was shocked, felt like I was doing so good too!! After that weigh in I've given up trying, so god knows what I've gained these past 4 weeks!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

July 4th, 2013, 02:59 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I'm up 18lbs. Oh well!
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

July 4th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Loni's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm up 19lbs and after my last appt I'm not concerned. I was gaining about a pound a week and asked the dr why I was gaining so fast and she told me I was right on track and wasn't gaining too much or too fast. This is my 3rd baby that I've had with this dr and I trust her so if she isn't too concerned than neither am I. Now I'm going to get some ice cream!!
July 4th, 2013, 05:11 PM
estherm's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies.. I didn't get a butt kicking but I do feel better......

Self image is just so hard eh? My hubby is a darling but he was so eager cheering me on in the beginning when I actually lost as well as didn't gain until around 15 weeks or so... I don't think he meant it but now I feel like I need to hide it from him.. What I cheat on etc etc lack of exercise etc... Just because he cheered me on so hard.. I did tell him then that I had to gain eventually.. But he just said eat healthy and walk and it will be fine.. Except.. like above.. I nap when I have time to walk.. and yes I have been know to bake cookies just for cookie dough.. or cake or... or..... And to be honest I am not normally a sweets person so perhaps I just don't know the damage it can doo..

Just can't get out of the rut...

So I am honestly not trying very hard.. And know I should be.. but can't??? sort of.. lol

Thank you Jaidensmum!
July 4th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I started out at 155 and I'm at 170. I'm 5'2 also. I am kind of bummed, but I'll work hard when this is over.
Hugs ladies!!
July 5th, 2013, 03:51 AM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No butt kicking coming from here either - I actually don't think 10lbs is bad at all! I'm up 8lbs, and the only reason is because I'm sick so much of the time, otherwise I'd be one of these women who would have packed on 20 plus lbs by now.

I'm thrilled to have not gained too much, but am not too worried about it either. As someone who always struggles with weight, this is one of the few times where I don't have to be especially concerned with it. If I really need to eat a cookie, I have it without feeling guilty, I don't have to walk around sucking my stomach in for a change, and I don't have to worry about what I wear being cut a certain way to cover whatever pouch I still had from the last 2 babies - this may be the break that I needed to buckle down and really focus afterwards.

Keep in mind that the same way we support each other through our pregnancies, we can support each other through getting in shape too. So FWIW, enjoy your belly for now - the butt kicking can come later.
July 5th, 2013, 04:04 AM
Julie
10 pounds is low! I've gained 14 pounds so far, and I work out every day (except for about 5 weeks inthe first trimester). I HAVE a big sweet tooth and am also not very tall. Since I am not trying to lose weight now of course, I workout to make myself feel better, for mood improvement, and as a way to really get into a good habit of working out now so that I am ready to lose weight once the baby is born. I have days when I say to myself "I don't want to workout, I just want to take a nap" but I push through and just do it and I never regret it, ever. And I sleep well at night because of it. I am also a bored eater, so I try and keep my Kindle full of stuff that I can read so I'm not tempted to eat chocolate because I'm bored. I have never exercised this much even when not pregnant, so I know how you feel. I realized that I'm 32 and if I don't start getting into a good routine now, it's never gonna happen, and no one is going to do it for me. We all have to start somewhere, and once you start it does get easier, I promise! This was my version of a pep talk, so hopefully you took it that way. I don't judge you in any way. I agree pregnancy is super tough and exhausting and emotional and all I want to do is lay on the couch and veg all day. However, doing a little exercise each day helps me feel so much better about myself so I suggest you try it and see if it does the same for you

July 5th, 2013, 05:08 AM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im up about 8 lbs. I gained 70lbs in my 1st pregnancy and vowed that wpuld never happen again. Gained about 15lbs in my 2nd... im aiming for 20-25 this time around.

I dont restrict anything - but I do control portion sizes. If I want a burger.. I eat half of it. I dont polish off a bag of chips in one sitting, instead the bag will last a week. I love salad, so I do tend to eat that at least once a day.

July 5th, 2013, 05:51 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancypants27 View Post
Im up about 8 lbs. I gained 70lbs in my 1st pregnancy and vowed that wpuld never happen again. Gained about 15lbs in my 2nd... im aiming for 20-25 this time around.

I dont restrict anything - but I do control portion sizes. If I want a burger.. I eat half of it. I dont polish off a bag of chips in one sitting, instead the bag will last a week. I love salad, so I do tend to eat that at least once a day.
I don't know how you do that! I am legitimately more hungry than usual. I don't just eat half a burger, I eat a whole turkey burger and also eat a chicken sausage. Since I know that I am definitely going to eat more, I pretty much only cook healthier food. No beef, very little pork.. only really poultry, fish, and vegetarian meals and a lot of vegetables. We snack on fresh fruit and veggies (I cut them up on weekends and put in a big bag to eat from for convenience) because I know that at some point I'm gonna be like, OK IT IS TIME TO GO EAT GELATO. Then again I've gained 18 lbs so I guess if the main thing is to not gain weight.. I just figure now's not the time to watch your weight:

Baby: 7.5 pounds
Placenta: 1.5 pounds
Amniotic fluid: 2 pounds
Uterine enlargement: 2 pounds
Maternal breast tissue: 2 pounds
Maternal blood volume: 4 pounds
Fluids in maternal tissue: 4 pounds
Maternal fat stores: 7 pounds
jennyrae03 likes this.
July 5th, 2013, 06:08 AM
fludderbye's Avatar Super Mommy
ok no butt kicking from me either

here is my prego philosophy-

if i am hungry I eat-
if i am in the mood for something i eat it-

i watch my portions, i make sure i still get in fruits & veg,

there are days that i just snakc/pick at food all day- not really eating anything big but then there are days I feel like I cant get full-

your body tells you what it wants- & sometimes it just NEEDS CHOCOLATE!!!LOL

so dont beat yourself up too much your pregnant not FAT!!

try to remember that- trust me i was 180 when i started this and am already at 205 so I get it! oh and i am 5'4"

so I feel huge !! but i know after the baby comes, I know what I have to do to get back to me-

{{HUGS}}

oh and when i am pregnant I cant stand the taste of artifical sweetners & FF stuff- I dont know what it is but as soon as baby comes i love them again LOL
July 8th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Veteran
I started at 127, and gained about 8 pounds 1st semester somehow. I'm now officially 20 pounds heavier, and I had hoped to only gain 20 pounds. But, I can't really stress too much about it - I haven't really eaten much more than normal - if I have, it's because I've been legitimately hungrier, and I haven't changed my diet, which has been healthy in general.

I agree with the others that now isn't really the time to be "watching" your weight - you are SUPPOSED to be gaining weight. Instead of focusing on the scale, I think we should all just focus on eating healthy - fruits instead of cookies, lots of veggies instead of chips....and of course some extra ice cream for that calcium

I have a friend who has gained 50 pounds in each of her pregnancies - she's normally a tiny person and has an incredibly healthy diet - she just happens to pack on the pounds (and then lose it almost immediately), so I think it's one of those things that people respond differently. And I thought it's normal to gain about a pound a week from here on out (which would put you below your target!)?

And last thought - camping to me usually equates to losing weight - just go on some hikes to counteract the easy-to-make camp food. Or bring some pasta or rice dishes that are easy but healthier than hot dogs. Have fun!!
July 8th, 2013, 08:55 PM
iCathy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I feel your pain! I've gained 26 lbs so far! I'm not exercising as much, but my diet is good so I don't know what is going on! It's in my legs, arms, back,ect...so frustrating, especially since I'm growing out of my work clothes! I'm trying not to stress and know it will come off after the baby is born.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my sweet siggy!!

Make a pregnancy ticker
July 9th, 2013, 04:20 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I gained 50 lbs with my previous pregnancies. YES 50!!!
I have gained 11 so far this time and I am over the roof about it. I am so happy that I have gained so little so far.

The best suggestion I have is portion control. If you are really craving something and you try to substitute something for what you are craving it isn't going to satisfy you and you are going to eat and eat because you haven't satisfied that craving. Eat just a little bit of what you really want. It seems to work for me. I also switched to 1% milk from 2% because I have been drinking much more lately. Make sure you eat lots of proteins and good carbs because they help keep you feeling full longer. Little changes like that will honestly make a world of difference in the way you eat.
soul_donut likes this.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 9th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think 10 lbs is great! This thread makes me feel better. Sounds like we're all about even.

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search