WTH!?!? My tooth broke!

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Druslady96's Avatar Veteran
I was in the middle of eating and felt something hard like a rock and was tripping out that there was something in my food and even more weirded out when I pulled a piece of tooth out of my mouth... it took me a few seconds to realize it was a piece of my tooth! One of molars (which has a filling in it)... but I would say 1/4 of it broke off to the gum. IDK what to do... I mean, I am of course going to call the dentist, but not sure if they are going to have to pull the whole thing out? Or cap it until the baby is born? Or nothing? It broke off on the inside but the location makes me wonder how they would pull the tooth without having to cut into my gums. UGH, I do NOT like the dentist because I'm claustrophobic and can't stand them in my face for that long. Not to mention being pregnant and scared it will affect the baby in some way....Has anyone had dental work while pregnant? Do I need to consult my OB first?

July 8th, 2013, 03:46 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had a tooth that was filled break before, right in half almost. But I wasn't pregnant, they just removed the rest of the tooth. Hope whatever they do isn't too bad, I have a HUGE fear of the dentist as well!!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

July 8th, 2013, 04:28 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Oh no, I have never had that happen, but I do wish you the best of luck.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 8th, 2013, 04:39 AM
fludderbye's Avatar Super Mommy
{{ hugs}}

when i was pregnant with # 2 in 2010 i had a tooth break/chip- almost exactly like you said- i too was scared & did nothing- STUPID- !!

so when i was pregnant with # 3 in 2011- it broke more- but i still did nothing - even more stupid

so now pregnant with # 4- it broke more- finally called the denist due to OMG PAIN !! i was in the 2nd trimester and they were able to pull it fine- the numbed the area with a bunch of shots & seriously once they started to pull it was out in 60 sec- NO LIE

now i tell you this so you DO NOT WAIT LIKE I DID- your dentist will call your ob and check with them reg anything to be done(at least mine did)

you may only need a cap to save your tooth unlike me due to I waited - and now have a molar missing-

dont be like me call !! LOL
July 8th, 2013, 05:46 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm the type that leaves it to the last possible min as well, and it never helps! I have 4 of my molars pulled now, because I won't go in when it just needs a filling, I wait for the whole tooth to be shot!!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

July 8th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
This exact thing happened to me during the Memorial day weekend when we were on our mini vacation at French Lick IN I was so weirded out, worried and upset. The back part of my lower left lateral incisor chipped out leaving me with a very thin sheet of tooth, which I was sure would break off if I so much as accidentally touched it with the upper teeth !! I used some over the counter dental glue type thing to reinforce it,(it was the weekend) but it fell off by Monday. I saw the dentist on Monday afternoon and she put in some sort of semi temporary epoxy filling which can work for a week or a yr or several yrs. The dentist also said my pregnancy had nothing to do with the tooth breaking. I believed her then. But now I am sure it cant be coincidence that so many of us have had this happening during pregnancy!!

I say, see the dentist, they might be able to fill/reinforce it so that you don't have to get it pulled at least until the baby comes.

July 8th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Leah
The second trimester is the safest time to get dental work. Make sure they have a newer xray machine as those use very little radiation. Mine still double vested me though. My OB goes over dental on the first visit - which was good because a filling in a front tooth decided to abandon ship after all my puking.

I did have a tooth yanked a few years ago. I'm a horrible, horrible dental patient. I tense, I freak. I was literally shaking so much they thought I'd pass out. The tooth (a molar) gave them trouble and they had to take more time, but I didn't feel it.

They'll probably recommend getting something that's below the gum to be pulled because of the riskof iinfection, but fillings can usually wait.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
July 8th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I read somewhere that your teeth become looser during pregnancy, maybe that has something to do with it. Anyways, does it hurt?? Hopefully not, and they can just re-fill it. Sorry that had to happen!
July 8th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Jackie1122's Avatar Veteran
Ugh so sorry this happened to you! I have dreams all the time where this exact thing happens to me but have never actually experienced it. I hope you can get it fixed quickly though! I was terrified about having a root canal several years back and my dentist was able to call in a prescription anxiety med for me to take ahead of time. I was so loopy by the time I got to the appointment I didn't even care! I actually fell asleep while they were doing the procedure and they had to wake me up because I was twitching in my sleep . I am not sure if you would be able to take anything similar while pregnant but it might be worth asking your doctor!
July 8th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Veteran
About 3 weeks ago I had part of a filling fall out as well. I've been ignoring it but it has become sensitive to cold and has a general ache now. My midwife assured me x-rays are ok (as long as the are not the kind that the machine swings around your head and does all your teeth at once). I have a dentist appt. tomorrow. I told them over the phone I still didn't want x-rays and that novicane makes my heart race even while not pregnant. He said they had a safe drug alternative for the novicane. I'll let you know how it goes!

July 8th, 2013, 04:09 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh, I had a crown fall out while I was eating at a restaurant I know what you mean about being really freaked out! I wasn't pregnant though. Good luck, I hope they can fix it for you!

July 8th, 2013, 04:20 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
EEEEEKKK! Good luck! I hate teeth stuff!
July 8th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
After my pregnancies my teeth are always a mess. I don't know if its all the vomiting or if the baby is stealing something from from my body but I always need work done.
July 10th, 2013, 06:45 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
oh no!!!

im pretty sure if its something that needs to be fixed right away they will take the precautions they need to for the pregnant momma! Try to not stress too much. Sorry that happened to you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search