Gently used clothes

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jamieshalon2
  • 1 Post By JeCaLe
  • 1 Post By MrsPea

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2013, 05:07 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I have to say that I just love shopping at the Goodwill. I tend to be a total penny pincher and I find so many great things there.

I took 2 huge boxes of kids clothes to the store on Saturday and of course I had to go in and see if they had anything I wanted. Spent $20 and got about 15 outfits for Sophia. I was so happy to go home and wash them. I also picked up a cute maternity shirt for myself and some cute Halloween decorations, since Halloween is my favorite day of the year, lol. I just love finding deals like that!
Spyctre likes this.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 8th, 2013, 05:52 AM
JeCaLe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yay for good deals.

We have bought a few at several of our Goodwills (we stop at all of them occasionally) and several on clearance at our consignment Once Upon a Child.
jamieshalon2 likes this.

July 8th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I never shop at our Goodwill because it's too expensive! lol The last time I went in there, I had just finished shopping at Target and Toys R Us. I found no less than 5 things I had just seen at the regular stores that they were charging for more than the new item! Stuff like a beat up doll house you could get $10 cheaper new in the box and a stroller they were charging $120 for when the new one was regular price $90 at Target. They had nick nacks for the same price that Walmart sold them for new, and their clothes section was so tiny.

I'm glad you seem to have brighter people running yours! All of our donations go to Teen Challenge now. I wish I could donate to Salvation Army, but ours closed.
July 8th, 2013, 06:16 AM
JeCaLe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyctre View Post
I never shop at our Goodwill because it's too expensive! lol The last time I went in there, I had just finished shopping at Target and Toys R Us. I found no less than 5 things I had just seen at the regular stores that they were charging for more than the new item! Stuff like a beat up doll house you could get $10 cheaper new in the box and a stroller they were charging $120 for when the new one was regular price $90 at Target. They had nick nacks for the same price that Walmart sold them for new, and their clothes section was so tiny.

I'm glad you seem to have brighter people running yours! All of our donations go to Teen Challenge now. I wish I could donate to Salvation Army, but ours closed.
That is insane.

July 8th, 2013, 07:34 AM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I found the same type of thing, Arwen. I did hit up the children's resale store a couple weeks ago when they had their sale, but I found that I could pay $2 for a onesie that was pretty used or just watch sales and get a 5 pack for $5 (which I did at Walmart not long after that).

Yard sales are where it's at though... if you find a good one. I'm hoping I can get down to our outlet plaza soon. They have a Carter's and I've heard they have good sales right now.

July 8th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Oh wow, I can't believe your goodwill is like that. Ours charges $1 for baby clothes. Either the outfit is $1, or the sleeper, onesie is $1. Maternity shirts are $3 and pants are $4. Dresses are also $4. Baby/kid shoes are $2 and adult shoes are $3.50.

Unfortunately our yard sales around here suck. Mostly it is old people items like dishes, antiques, dresses your grandma probably wore back in her day, lol. Very little baby clothes, but if they do have baby clothes they are very expensive. I see people trying to charge like $5 per outfit or sleeper. I can get them in the stores for cheaper than that, lol. I saw a used Graco car seat go for $95 at a yard sale. I paid less than that for my brand new one, lol.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
July 8th, 2013, 07:53 AM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's great you were able to find something there though!! Perhaps most places all over the country are one or the other. Our goodwill is also very used stuff, so even if sale items are $1-2 more it's worth the extra vs. buying something that stinks and stained.

July 8th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Oh that stinks (literally sometimes I guess, lol). Most of the stuff I came across was very gently used. I even found some that still had the tags on it. Nothing I bought was stretched or stained at all. Most of it was Old Navy and Baby Gap. We used to be a very small town, with very small town ways, but in the past few years we have had huge growth here. I think we have a lot more commuters from the Washington DC area moving here now and they are more high end than the people that used to live here. Unfortunately it has done terrible things to our taxes and districting. I would love for things to go back the way they were, lol.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
July 8th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I can always find good things at thrift stores around here. I got two pairs of motherhod maternity jeans yesterday for $5! No stains, tears....belly band was still tight but stretchy!

July 8th, 2013, 10:06 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love good deals, I usually keep watching stuff on ebay! Our only thrift store here isn't that great either! I also watch the Children's place clearance section a lot too and gets lots of good deals!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

July 8th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our Goodwill is crap for kids clothes.
But we have an amazing consignment place. I have gotten most of our nb stuff there, since I know we will only use them for a few weeks.
July 8th, 2013, 12:11 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've gotten a ton of gently used clothing for my little guy, but all from nicer consignment shops. I actually have to stop shopping for clothes for him, since I know I will get a ton more at the baby shower. I think it's a great way to go since they will out grow them so fast, or you may even have to cut some off.
jamieshalon2 likes this.

July 8th, 2013, 12:30 PM
I am the same way. I have already filled up 3 of the 4 drawers on her dresser and a good portion of her closet. I am sure I will get tons of stuff at the baby shower. Everyone keeps telling me to stop shopping, but darn, it's just so fun, lol.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
July 9th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to swozze3 Send a message via Yahoo to swozze3
I hit up our local consignment store once upon a child a couple of months ago an they had a 70% off sale for clearance stuff. I found some stuff for baby but I found major stuff for my almost 2 year old an older kids. I spent like $70 bucks and got $200 something worth of clothes

July 9th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've only been in our goodwill once and didn't buy anything. The store had a gross smell.

When we were military I love the used store on base. It was called the Airmanship Attic and I found all kinds of neat castoffs people donated before moving (PCS).
July 10th, 2013, 06:50 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Thats awesome! I have never been to our goodwills, I have not heard great things about them here.... plus my kids in that cramped area would not be a treat. They will tolerate Target for just enough time LOL

July 10th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Our Goodwill here is HUGE. they don't have a whole lot for older kids, but for this baby and Brady it is wonderful. I stocked up on his summer wardrobe this past fall and he loves all the little tee shirts that I got him.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search