Baby Registry Etiquette

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jennyrae03
  • 1 Post By Rosiegirl7

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OK so I think I mentioned before that I wasn't doing a big baby shower thing just a small BBQ with some friends. But I have lots of friends and family that will be traveling, or have other engagements during the time of my baby shower but I want them to still feel included (i.e. buy me some baby stuff, lol),

Anyways, what is the etiquette on sending your registry around? Is it just to the people that are invited to the shower? Is it weird to email it with my maternity photos? My mom said don't send it to anyone unless asked.

Wondered if anyone had some insight..worse case I will just buy the stuff I need but I kinda want to know how this whole thing works.

Thanks ladies!
July 8th, 2013, 10:27 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Personally, I think the ONLY times that are okay to tell someone where you are registered at is in a baby shower invitation or if the person personally asks you.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
July 8th, 2013, 10:33 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think what I would do is send an invitation to everybody that you want to come/be included, even if they have already told you they can't make it. That way you have informed everybody of your registry and haven't offended anybody
Allisonjuly likes this.
July 8th, 2013, 10:40 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I agree with Jenny. I would send them an invitation even if you know that they can't come. That is what I am doing with DH's family in North Carolina. I want them to still feel included and that way they also have the registry information.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 8th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Ok cool, great idea!
July 8th, 2013, 02:35 PM
SouthernBelle86's Avatar Rachelle
Send a baby shower invite to only those you want at shower with the registry info on there. That's what I did.

10 Weeks-9/12/12

5 Weeks-12/12/12
July 8th, 2013, 02:41 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom sent out our baby shower invites and in it said where we were registered. We sent the invites to people that we knew couldn't make it, but if they were a friend or family member they got an invite so they at least know where we are registered at.

I've already had two people get things from the registry -one box was mailed to us from Babies R Us and we had an in-store pick up for the BOB Stroller from my brother that can't make the shower
July 8th, 2013, 03:44 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
I think the invite idea is a good one. I am not having a formal shower so I don't know what the deal is with telling people about my registry. I have it to keep track of what I need to buy, and it's on Amazon. It's public, so you could find it if you searched for DH and I. I think it's a good frame of reference for what stuff we have already and what we still need, but I feel like it's tacky to share the URL because I'm not having a shower. If I have an informal shower, they want to do it in another city when a big group is meeting up, but I think I'm going to skip the outing all together because it's Labor Day, 5 hours away, so I guess I'm skipping my baby shower that isn't formally planned so the whole thing is pretty awkward.

Sorry..
July 8th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think if the invitation is coming from the person who is arranging the shower (like your mom) instead of you it is okay to include the registry information. I think officially you aren't supposed to provide it unless asked, but since showers are all about presents, whereas a wedding invitation is not supposed to be about presents, it is more accepted to provide registry information in a shower invite.
July 8th, 2013, 04:41 PM
So weird but I have a public Amazon registry I went on there today and things are being purchased! I haven't given it out to anyone.....I think my mom is being sneaky. So you're right I think she would know best since she is sending out the invites..
jennyrae03 likes this.
July 8th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My invite went out today without registry info, thought I wasn't supposed to include it. Oh well!
July 9th, 2013, 04:24 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
All of the baby shower invitations that I have made in the past (when I had my own small graphic design "business") had the registry information on them. Bridal shower ones did too. Wedding invitations did not. I just thought it was the norm to put your registry information on them since everyone always requested it when they sent me their information.

How else would people in other cities/states/countries, where ever your friends and family may be located, know where you are registered?

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
July 9th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Good point! I gave it to my friend who sent out the invite assuming if anyone needed/wanted to know that she could share. I sort of wish I had included it now because I was very picky about what went on there (I'm very practical and want only a limited number of things), but I will be happy with anything that is provided, of course!
July 9th, 2013, 07:41 AM
I can understand that. I don't want ANY newborn size clothes. I have so many already that she will never be able to wear them. I told my mom to tell anyone that asks her what they should get for her.
I am also not really big on character clothing until the child reaches an age that she/he picks it themselves. I prefer to steer clear of it as long as I can, lol.
Plus I want everyone to see on the registry that the car seat, PNP, and diaper bag have all been bought already. I really don't want the hassle of having to explain why I like my car seat/pnp/diaper bag better than the one they picked out, lol.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
July 10th, 2013, 06:48 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
could you just say for those interested here is the link to our registry, but no pressure.

Make it light hearted.

Even a FB post saying I know I have had several people ask, so I don't forget anyone here it is....??

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search