Working Moms - Return to Work Plans/Advice?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Leah
A couple months ago, my bosses mentioned working remotely after the baby was born to help with childcare and all. They're a married couple with kids, so as she said BTDT. Now time is sneaking up and the topic came up today because she's discovered she's unexpectedly pregnant. So I'd like to get my plans in place ASAP to help ease their stress level a bit. So my questions are:

- pregnant, stressed bossong do you plan on being out?
- Is it feasible to work remotely earlier? How early?
- What are some unexpected roadblocks/surprises that popped up for BTDT moms?

I could start part time remotely sooner, I'm thinking and they're hoping. I've heard a lot of BTDT moms say that they're gonna sleep, you'll have some down time. I'm sure I'd have flexibility on actual times, but with my job if I'm committing to deadlines, it's important to stick to them. We're a small business and there's not any redundancy in my position. My backup is my newly pregnant, stressed boss.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
July 8th, 2013, 04:49 PM
JeCaLe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For me, I think it would be possible to work remotely earlier. I will never actually put down all work, even though I will probably take 10 weeks off. Meeting deadlines might be hard though as you never know what might come up. I was able to type okay while breastfeeding or just holding baby, so it might be doable, especially if you want it to be.

July 8th, 2013, 05:23 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would be hesitant to work remotely earlier if you were working with deadlines...babies are totally unpredictable! Maybe if your husband comes home at a decent time of day and you could count on having some evening hours to get work done if you didn't get it done earlier?

As a btdt, I was caught off guard with how overwhelmingly hard it was to go back to work. I was home for 16 or 17 weeks and being away from my baby hit me like a ton of bricks. Though if you have the opportunity to work remotely, you may not experience that.

July 9th, 2013, 04:33 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I am not sure what to tell you. My kids all slept a lot, but again, that was my kids. You could end up with a colicky baby that cries a lot, or one that just doesn't sleep as well, and if you are dealing with deadlines all the time it may not work out too well for you or your bosses.

I could feasibly do about 80% of my job from home, BUT I also know how I am, and I would lack the motivation to do it in my home enviroment. How are you will that aspect of it?

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 9th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Leah
I think I'd be motivated. Not as much as normal, but that might be balanced out by the lack of in-office distractions and "emergencies" for other people. Motivation also comes from the fact that if it's not me, not my boss, it'll be this chick who hasn't mastered simple tasks in 3+ months. I definitely don't want to come back to a mess of epic proportions. And there's the money motivation; I'm not sure they'll be able to afford to be as generous as they'd like with their own unplanned, uninsured bundle coming.

I think working some evening hours if daytime doesn't work is possible. SO has some flexibility and is willing to help however. He was a stay at home dad with his older two for awhile, so he's thinking old hat.

I'm thinking I'll plan a little bit out. I'd rather come back early instead of later.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
July 9th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Not that this is the same thing-

When I had #4 I was homeschooling my older two. I was very organized with our daily tasks. For the first month it was doable because the baby sleeps so much. When he was 2 months old I had to send the kids back to public school because he was sleeping less and my then 4 yr old was having behavior issues because he wasn't getting enough attention. If I didn't have the 4 yr old I could have easily continued homeschooling. So I think working from home is doable. In fact when all of mine are babies I find I spend more time on the computer because of the breastfeeding.
July 9th, 2013, 11:00 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think with one baby it is possible - with two or more, no way.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
July 10th, 2013, 06:56 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
If you can do it remotely you probably could start up pretty quick depending on exactly what you do. Can it be done with baby in your arm or in a carrier?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search