Baby Name Meltdown!

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree20Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2013, 08:13 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I need help. A) I have read through the "100,001+ Best Baby Names" book and have come up with diddly squat for names for our little man. B) I seriously might punch my husband in his wee-wee if he doesn't start helping me think of names!!!

I'm not sure if this is a cry for help with boy names, or if this is a vent about my super non-helpful husband!

Honestly, I have come up with list upon list of baby names, and he hates EVERY name I have suggested. But then when I say "Fine, you come up with names" he says "well I don't know of any names!" Hello! There is a giant *** book of names right in front of you! Pick it up! He keeps referring to our baby as "Wolverine" and will not take me seriously when I say we need to start thinking of names. His excuse: "oh we have time." Really?? Ahhhhhhh!

I am going to pull my hair out.

Anyway...do you have any suggestions on where else to look for baby names? I mean, I have read every single boy name in this giant book, and nothing else is popping out at me. Where else do you go when you have read the biggest book there is?
July 10th, 2013, 08:15 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I swear I could have wrote this post!! We are going through the same thing here!! I don't have advice, I feel like our poor boy will be nameless forever!!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

July 10th, 2013, 08:17 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
What names do you somewhat like?

With #5 we had a list of 12 boys names to make his first and middle name choice (we didn't know the sex and only had one girls name picked out, that was set, but for boy names we were lost)

We took the list with us to the hospital and he was nameless for at least 5 hours. We spent time looking at hime and all, and Thaddeus Philip just fit him! The other names didn't sit right. And while I know that name to most people got kind of a negative reaction, its totally him! and he rocks it.
MrsPea likes this.

July 10th, 2013, 08:19 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
My first and second son's names came from movies.

Tristen from Legends of the fall... heard the name and fell in love
Logan from X-men, dh is a super big fan of wolverine
Brayden came from a girl I knew on a different DDC. she was on my January 04 DDc and when she had her 2nd son in 2005 she named him Brayden Wolfe. I loved the way I sounded so we just changed the middle name and he is Brayden Monroe.

Middle names for us are family names. Tristen's is James after my grandfather who passed away 22 years ago. His name was James Alvin.
Logan's is Boyce after dh's stepfathers dad
Brayden's is Monroe after my great-great grandfather who passed away in the early 1900's.

Maybe try looking up some favorite movies or TV shows and see if any of the names stand out to your or your dh.

Jamie age 37-Married to Widget age 33 for 14 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 10th, 2013, 08:38 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
How frustrating!! I'd just pick a few out and say tough titties and name the kid, if he won't help.

What names are your current likes, despite what DH says? Let's get a list.

I'd look at names from books, music, and locations (though I'm not crazy about a baby named Brooklyn if the parents have never been to NYC for example.. somewhere you know that is special to you). Past presidents or people in history that you admire..
July 10th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are nameless still!

My brother sent me this last night.

http://nameberry.com/blog/boy-names-...of-2013-so-far
July 10th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Julie
Yeah, tough love is the answer here. I had to sit my SO down at one point and be like "ok, I am going to write down 4 names I like, and you will do the same. we then have to see which ones we agree on". He realized he was just being a huge baby and just too picky, so he had to really choose which ones he felt OK about. You may just have to wait if he doesn't like any of your names or if he refuses to look through the book himself yet. He will do it, or else you tell him you are picking the name! I know it's frustrating, but don't worry, it will happen. Does your husband like any kind of names, such as irish, or maybe old english name? maybe you can write down just those ones for him to look through so he doesn't find it so overwhelming.

July 10th, 2013, 08:59 AM
67. Rhys

Rhys Goodman has a nice ring to it.
curlimama05 and jennyrae03 like this.
July 10th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieshalon2 View Post
Logan from X-men, dh is a super big fan of wolverine
Jamie, this is why we call him Wolverine! I like the name Logan (a lot) and he said "You know that's Wolverine's real name, right?" and has called him Wolverine ever since! Of all the names I have picked, that's one of the three that he thinks is decent.

Here is my list of names, and my favorites are in bold.

Reid
Reece
Logan
Drake
Caleb / Kaleb
Chase
Bentley
Cael
Corbin
Sawyer
Henry
Jack
Jacob
Cameron / Kameron
Kellan
Lucas/Lukas
Maddox
Cohen
Liam
Rylan

Of that list, he thinks the following are "okay" but not super great:
Logan
Reece
Cameron / Kameron
July 10th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Solid names! I think that he'll get used to them and be more natural with it. I think it's hard to attach a name to something that's not "here" for some. I think it's easier using Ben when talking about the baby because I know him.. maybe if he were kicking your DH all day he'd be more ready to name your boy!
July 10th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Why not Logan if he likes Wolverine? Ask him to make a list of his favorite characters. DH had Clark and Bruce on our boy list. I wasn't into them, but we were going to compromise by letting me pick out the other name regardless of his liking. lol

Currently we just have one back up boy name just in case the u/s tech was wrong. Darien Lazarus. Darien for the Invisible Man series cause we both loved it so much, and Lazarus for the world's first zombie. Zombie stories are fun.

happywife and QL1516 like this.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven.

http://arwenart.com
July 10th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
James Howlett was Wolverines given name and Logan was his secret name. Maybe go that route. You really do have enough time and when you guys come across it you both will just know. Dont stress...call him your little X-Men for now.

I like Logan James....just a thought!

-Gina

July 10th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like Logan!! Also, like previously mentioned, check out Nameberry.com for some ideas. My boyfriend and I went through the same thing, he was saying "we have time" but I was stressing out about it and wanted to nail something down. You have a solid last name that will go with ANYTHING! I'm sure whichever name you both decide will be great!
July 10th, 2013, 09:18 AM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can understand where you're coming from! DH never comes up with names by himself, but he will shoot down everyone I come up with.

With our girl name, he had ZERO contributions and I am stuck on Eliza. So I pretty much decided that was what we were going with if it's a girl, and he's come around to it. He asked me the other day what middle name I would use for Eliza--Marie (it's mine, my mom's, my gma, and so on and so forth) and he said Eliza Marie is really cute.

Boy names on the other hand, I looked down an online list, read off the ones I liked and stuck with the one he said he kind of liked. I think with men they just don't "love" names off the bat?? I would pick a few you like (or one) and keep reintroducing them or calling the baby that. I think he'll come around. Logan sounds like a choice you both like (of course I love Sawyer from your list too ).

Guys just don't get the impatience or the list checking of the female-ness! I did want to throw out there that I don't think I'm one of those people who can look at the baby and just say "oh his name is xyz". I'm not sure Sawyer looked like a Sawyer as a newborn...but he didn't look like anything else I suppose either. Now, being two, I can't imagine him being anything else and his name totally fits.

Hope you guys can figure something out! There is one website I do like where you put in a list of the names you like, and it comes up with other potential names like them. Let me see if I can find it....ok it's Nymbler - Your Personal Baby Name Assistant

July 10th, 2013, 09:19 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Logan Henry!

LHG - Looks like good initials to me too!

And if it makes you feel any better right now if this baby was born today for me the name with be...

Bo-Jangles Fasha-Cake
jamieshalon2 and jennyrae03 like this.

July 10th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Thanks ladies for your advice and suggestions. Honestly, I feel like Logan is the one. For some reason, when I think of the baby, I just think of him as Logan - I think Joel probably is leaning towards it too, but just hasn't settled on it yet? Whenever I can get him to talk about it, it always seems to come back to that name, but then he's like "Wellllll it's ALRIGHT, but let's see what else we can come up with."

For a middle name, I really would like either Joel or David (husband's name is Joel David, and I'm such a sucker/romantic that I really want baby to have his daddy's name). I think hubby would prefer David over Joel - he says he feels weird if the baby has his first name as a middle name?

Anyway...hopefully we can get this settled. I just hate referring to baby as simply "baby." Although let's face it, I've started calling him Wolverine too. *sigh*
July 10th, 2013, 09:33 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I think by you already thinking of him as a Logan that it may stick with you and Joel may start coming around to it too if you talk to him about already thinking of the baby as Logan. Logan David is a really nice, solid name. I like that a lot. After all the dreams I had about this LO being Sophia that there is no other way we could go. She just feels like a Sophia to me and even though dh was stuck on Charley or Liliana for a girl at first he really started liking Sophia the more we talked about it. I think he is the same way as me now, he can't imagine her being anything else.

Jamie age 37-Married to Widget age 33 for 14 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 10th, 2013, 09:52 AM
~Momma*2011~'s Avatar I love my little girl!!
I really like Logan David it has a nice flow to it. I'm in the same boat we're not sure on names ( DH is like your DH and no help) but I know for a fact that the middle name will have my DH's first name. He may not like it but my daughter has my grandma's first name and I like the idea of passing down names (even if they are middle names). Good Luck on your final decision (but I think you have a good start in figuring it out)
happywife likes this.

July 10th, 2013, 09:55 AM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We were always super horrible coming up with boys names. It's a miracle we did this time. In fact, that's probably why it was a boy this time, because we actually had a name ready

When I was pregnant with Everleigh I went through a similar name book and pulled 90 boy names and MADE Dh pick 10 that he liked. He did but we still weren't settled on a name. I pulled the same list this time and he picked a completely different name that wasn't even on his top 10! So I would just keep handy your DH the same list, maybe something will hit him differently at a different time?

Annnnd, of course, since we picked out Jude's name I've heard about 3 other babies that have since been named that. So he may be going by Gryf more than Jude.

Btw, when you said he liked Wolverine I instantly thought of Logan too and thought it would be a perfect fit

July 10th, 2013, 09:56 AM
happywife's Avatar Super Mommy
I love Logan David! However when I was reading your name list, Logan Maddox popped out at me

Married to my bestfriend Graham and proud mommy to Codi - 15, Kevin - 13, DJ - 11, Mylyn & McKynlee - 3 & Graham Jr. ~born on Earth, living in Heaven ~ May 9, 2012

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search