Alcohol

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2013, 05:51 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
So I just had like 1.75 slices (small) of a cake that I think was soaked in alcohol. At first I thought it was cooked, but then I figured it was probably just soaked in it afterwards. Ugh. Of course I'm freaking, but I figure two tiny slices really can't do much and it's too late anyways.
So it got me to thinking - have you had any alcohol so far? A glass of wine or two? Or deserts with a bunch of alcohol in it?
July 11th, 2013, 06:02 PM
mama2ladybugs's Avatar Super Mommy
I havent. I dont take any chances but if it makes you feel any better, when my grandmother was pregnant with my uncle her dr told her to drink all the beer she wanted. I cant remember why but thats what she was told and he is perfectly fine. I dont think the small amount you had is going to do anything but I wouldnt go making a habit of drinking.

Thank you Babydoll213 for my beautiful siggy

WTTC #3 Fall 2017
July 11th, 2013, 06:20 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doctor is ok with a glass of beer or wine a day. I had some sips of beer a while back because he was ok with it. I haven't had anything in weeks since my asthma and heart palpitations have kicked up, I'm on enough crap at the moment. But if I wasn't I probably would on occasion. The US is one of the few countries that says absolutely no alcohol. Sure you shouldn't get drunk or buzzed since the baby is more sensitive to alcohol, but if was a little and only occasionally I wouldn't worry about it.

I've read that the unfiltered wheat beers are better if your pregnant or breast feeding (suppose to lessen the time of let down - not sure what that means since this is our first). Could be a load of bull, I doubt its been truly studied.

Last edited by SierraWinter; July 11th, 2013 at 06:24 PM.
July 11th, 2013, 06:27 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
It's crazy the polar opposite stance that all the research has! I pretty much found out that unless I'm a binge drinker I shouldn't worry TOO much - although I never drink anyways, even before preggo.
July 11th, 2013, 06:46 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I drank a couple of O'douls over the past few days (they are non-alcoholic, but still have like .5% alcohol in them). I wouldn't worry too much. In Europe they drink wine or whatever while still pregnant.

July 11th, 2013, 07:16 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
I just had a small glass of wine with dinner, actually. I had a glass of wine with dinner in Rome every day. Between now and then I have had a few sips here and there to try new wines that my DH orders at restaurants or picks up at the store. If you're at dessert stage, your belly's full enough that ay alc would have probably been absorbed. Moderation... No worries!
July 11th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh, I wouldn't worry. I've had a few oz of beer here and there and so far so good. I've heard as long as you don't get drunk a glass or two is fine, but it's too ingrained not to drink while pregnant that I don't for the most part. Also, think of those ladies who find out they're pregnant later on and drink? Babies are pretty resilient
July 11th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I have sips of DH's wine coolers when he gets them, and the other day I had 1 oz of Bailey's. I hardly ever drink normally. Maybe once or twice a month. Never been drunk.
July 11th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Veteran
I've had lots of sips of IPAs, and a couple glasses of wine in the past two months (not all at once). I plan to have an occasional glass every few weeks. Just think of ALL those hundreds of years where people drank alcohol over water (they even recommended guinness every day to pregnant women). I'm not saying to start drinking a lot - I think there's enough research to show it has major impacts. But I doubt a dessert could have negative long term effects!
July 11th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Leah
I've had little glasses of wine with dinner every once in awhile. A few sips of beer if SO opens a good IPA (rarely - I'm the beer snob, not him). I've never had enough to feel any effects and I don't worry about it really. The US has a very different idea of stuff like that; I've not seen data that those countries that don't frown on it have a gigantically higher rate of FAS or anything.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
July 11th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
I have eaten some deserts that were soaked in alcohol(tiramisu mmmm)but nothing other then that!!!!
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 10mo 10/10/13

July 11th, 2013, 09:24 PM
"Shay-see"
You're FINE (and so is the bb). I would bet my life savings on it. Seriously, the stress of worrying is probably a greater detriment (still not a big deal, though so don't meta-stress lol).

Relax, pour yourself a small glass of cabernet, and chalk it up as a learning experience!
soul_donut and MrsPea like this.
July 11th, 2013, 09:32 PM
I have had a few episodes of tipsy ness and even a drunk event. I just found out I was pregnant. Of course it woul have never happened had I known but the positive news is my OB believes our baby is doing just fine and will be healthy at birth. I think I had 3-4 episodes of celebratory drinking. She has all her prams functioning. She is active as can be. Most research shows that it takes MANY episodes of binge drinking or 4-5 drinks a night to even put baby at risk. FAS also works off of when the alcohol use happened. First trimester and early second trimester use (again drinking to the point of drunk) is the worst time. FAS happens every 1 in 1000 births. You have a greater odds of twins. Genetics an metabolism are also thought to play a role. Truth is not much is known so in the US we err on the side of caution but from the studies out there it takes a true addict to have an FAS baby. Many countries do not hold the no alcohol view. Breathe easy. I have no doubt your little one is safe.
July 11th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nothing here, but I don't drink.

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
July 12th, 2013, 02:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had a bowl of rum raisin ice cream a couple days ago. Not sure if its actually made with rum or if its a flavoring.

I remember making a cake for a party during my 3rd trimester with my oldest that required a cherry liquor and I was a bit embarrassed at the liqueur store buying it. But boy was that cake good! I'm sure I had two slices as well
sweety_pie and soul_donut like this.
July 12th, 2013, 04:02 AM
fludderbye's Avatar Super Mommy
on my B-day in march I had a couple drinks at the VFW- but seriously only 2 LOL

i was there the other day with my mom and ordered a cup of coffee & a shot of kaluha & she had a COW and cancled the order LOL

so no I do not think a drink or 2 every now & then is going to hurt-
might even help - (US) to relax a little LOL
July 12th, 2013, 04:20 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've only had a sip here or there.
July 12th, 2013, 04:27 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I have had a few sips of dh's beer when we have a BBQ or something, but I am really not a big drinker anyway.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 12th, 2013, 06:21 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allisonjuly View Post
I had a bowl of rum raisin ice cream a couple days ago. Not sure if its actually made with rum or if its a flavoring.

I remember making a cake for a party during my 3rd trimester with my oldest that required a cherry liquor and I was a bit embarrassed at the liqueur store buying it. But boy was that cake good! I'm sure I had two slices as well
In stores, I have had people sampling liquor offer me tons of booze when I'm out shopping - I turn around and then they're horrified, especially if I look like I'm going to take them up on it. I don't think you can tell I'm pregnant until you see the profile or the front. Since I do the shopping, I always end up with beer and wine in my order and because I'm having trouble lifting at Costco, someone helps me load it. It probably looks pretty tacky
Allisonjuly likes this.
July 12th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
No, but I'm not a drinker.

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search