OT - Kids and Technology

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2013, 06:56 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
My kids really enjoy outside time too. I was just laughing at my younger 2 running through the yard playing cops and Robbers last night. I couldn't let them stay outside for too long at a time though. The heat index here yesterday was 101

Jamie age 37-Single mommy and loving life
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 16th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Veteran
I do not have an issue with kids using technology once they are around the age of 3 or 4. When you really think about it, a tablet is basically just a more convenient way to tote around books, toddler games, flash cards, etc without taking up all the space! There are plenty of educational apps so it is easy to control what they are exposed to.

My main issue is giving something so nice to a child that is not mentally capable of understanding the value of such item. I have a 5 year old neice that has gone through 3 iPhones and 2 iPads. Her grandma ends up taking care of her quite a bit and it is hard for her to keep up with a 5 year old so she tries to keep her entertained with technology. The problem is that she (I can't speak for all 5 year olds here because I am sure there are many that would be capable of taking care of an iPad) is spoiled, and doesn't understand the value of such a nice toy. She doesn't take care of her electronics and throws a HUGE fit when hers won't work or she leaves it somewhere. So what happens, they run out and buy her a new one!

My son is almost 4 and doesn't have any type of phone, tablet, etc. He does get to use mine, but it is an occasional treat mainly when I need him to be entertained such as at the doctors office, etc. If my son decides later on that he wants a tablet, he can take the money from his piggy bank and save up birthday and Christmas money and buy it with his money so that he understands the value and appreciates it.
jennyrae03 likes this.
July 16th, 2013, 07:43 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Jackie, my 5 year old is the same way. There is no way he could keep up with something like that on his own. I TRY to make sure he is within range of me the whole time he is playing on this tablet so that I can keep up with it. It is hard though.

Jamie age 37-Single mommy and loving life
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 16th, 2013, 07:58 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie1122 View Post
My son is almost 4 and doesn't have any type of phone, tablet, etc. He does get to use mine, but it is an occasional treat mainly when I need him to be entertained such as at the doctors office, etc. If my son decides later on that he wants a tablet, he can take the money from his piggy bank and save up birthday and Christmas money and buy it with his money so that he understands the value and appreciates it.
I think this is a GREAT idea. As I said before, I do understand the value of these tools as far as helping to educate children, and I don't plan on my child not ever having access to technology. I just think that for the first several years of his life, it's not something that should be a priority (as far as making sure he has his own, etc). I will certainly let him use my iPad for the educational apps, in a controlled setting and for limited amounts of time - or of course on occasion when we're out somewhere and he's driving me bonkers. However, he probably won't get his own iPad or iPod or anything else along those lines until he is old enough to truly understand their purpose and worth.
July 16th, 2013, 10:29 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
It is crazy how these little kids know how to work ipods and such so well so young.

I am a very anti video game momma. We have a wii, a playstation, and 3 of the kids have ipods, as well as myself, and I have an ipad.

I will not buy my almost 8 and almost 10 year old an ipod... they can use mine or a siblings... My kids are only allowed to have them when I say so, and I am always pushing them to go outside and be active.

Now I HATE young kids/young teens with iphones. My thought is why the heck do they need THAT much on the go?? That being said.... with my daughters overseas trip coming she needed a phone she could use over there so I gave in and let her get an iPhone. She is 13 (it was the 4S, no spending $300 on a flipping phone for her). She is VERY responsible though and I trust her completely. I have it on restrictions, she doesn't have access to the internet on it and I monitor things she uses like facebook and instagram. Now would I let my son who will be 15 in 2 weeks have an iPhone? NOPE. He isn't as responsible.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search