Switching provider question...

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2013, 07:37 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, since my post I have found 2 other VBAC friendly practices- ones midwives and they were recommended by my doula. They are 45 minutes away and couldn't get me in until August 12th.

The other, I found through reading my areas baby center boards and I found a lot of recommendations for both Ncb and VBAC. They are only 30 minutes away.

Both need my current pregnancy records before the appt. the second place won't schedule a consultation until they have the records.

Ok-can I. Just ask the office for a copy of my records? And-if I decide to stay with my current practice in the long run, will they be upset about me consulting with other doctors?

I'm probably just being a non confrontational baby here...

July 17th, 2013, 07:43 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
they will most likely charge you if you ask for your records directly. If you want to pay then you don't have to tell them why you want them, just get them copy them and send them to the other places... if you don't want to pay you'll need to get a release form from either your current place or the other two places to get the records released directly to the other practices, which means you probably wont see them at all, but that you also wont have to pay for them.
I would guess it will be around $25 for the records, but each practice is different.
If your current OB has a problem with you getting a second opinion then they are not a good practice to be at anyway... doctors should welcome the opportunity to show that they are 'right'.. and if they don't then perhaps they are not right after all.

July 17th, 2013, 09:07 PM
east to west coast's Avatar ~Melissa~
I've never switched providers, but since I'm planning a home birth and also receive parallel care through a group of nurse midwives/ob-gyns just in case I have to transfer to the hospital. I ask for print-outs of any important records at each appointment (e.g., my u/s results) so I can share them with my midwives and it's never been an issue. Considering that you're wanting a vbac, I would think that your current doctors would be very understanding that you want to "shop around" a bit.

Thank you, MommaDucks, for my lovely siggy
July 18th, 2013, 03:53 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I have never had to do that before, but my friend is going through that right now. I wish you luck.

Jamie age 37-Married to Widget age 33 for 14 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 18th, 2013, 07:57 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Ugh! That stinks. I switched from my OB (I had him for my VBAC in my last pg) to my hb m/w but I didn't need to transfer any records, so I'm really of little help. Your new care provider usually asks your old one for the records. I do suggest going with the midwives, though.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twins!!!

July 18th, 2013, 12:49 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just switched from an OB practice to a birth center, my OB was super awesome and understanding! I just asked for a copy of my records and got them no real questions asked at the check out desk. I didn't pay for them either. The birth center just needed me to bring them to my first appt though. They didn't need them before hand.

You probably don't even have to talk to your OB to get them, just the admin people upfront.

July 18th, 2013, 01:12 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks MrsPea. I think I'm going to call them tomorrow and tell them I need a copy and then hopefully pick them up that same day.

July 23rd, 2013, 07:35 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
The practices here will charge a certain amount per page to make copies. They wouldn't give me my file to take to another doctor till I officially left the practice.

I think it depends on your area and the practice?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search