Guests asking about bringing children when rsvp to my baby shower?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By QL1516

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 18th, 2013, 08:41 AM
SouthernBelle86's Avatar Rachelle
Most of you may remember all the baby shower drama that I have gone through when my sister started causing issues. My mother winded up being the rsvp contact on the shower invitations.

When we sent out the invitations a couple weeks ago we put a rsvp date by August 16th which is a couple weeks before shower. The shower invitations state "You are invited to a Ladies Tea in honor of mother-to-be. Here is the link to invite: Baby Shower Invitations - Beautiful Birdcage: Lapis by Tiny Prints

Well anyway people are starting to ask if kids are allowed, my mother is just telling them as far as her knowledge no one else is planning on bringing children yet who has rsvp as it's for ladies. so she is trying to highly discourage in a nice way that it's for a ladies tea like the invite stated. Any tips she could use on how to handle the kids topic when ladies rsvp to her? If my mom allowed every person to bring kids to the shower you would have more children than ladies. lol. I don't really want kids there at all but preparing myself for a few people to show up with 2 or 3 last minute and just praying they won't disrupt the formal ladies tea baby shower.

10 Weeks-9/12/12

5 Weeks-12/12/12
July 18th, 2013, 08:52 AM
estherm's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think you mom is doing good by saying what she is saying..

And I agree expect a few to show up... Cause that just happens.. But hopefully if the kids are causing problems they leave cause they feel silly

Es

Thank you Jaidensmum!

July 18th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Leah
I'd maybe say something like the room/food/whatever is only planned for so many people, so we would need several people to decline to have any room for kids/any additional people, but I'll let you know if room becomes available.
Wren and jamieshalon2 like this.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
July 18th, 2013, 09:29 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
That is a really good idea. I hadn't thought of that. Very good wording in a nice way!

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 18th, 2013, 09:35 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Your mom is nailing it. And as a 3rd trimester mama who has done a really good job politely communicating that it is adults only, you're entitled to just answer "No." when they ask if their kid is invited. I mean come on - asking you in person is like trying to sniff out weakness. Those invites are pretty clear.
July 18th, 2013, 10:16 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think your mom is doing a good job responding. If there is a particularly rowdy kid that is possibly coming then I would say no.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
July 18th, 2013, 10:33 AM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would have no problem saying no, it's an adult tea party, but I think your mom is nailing it! And if a couple kids do show up hopefully those mommas are going to feel so awkward they will keep the kids on a tight leash.

July 19th, 2013, 07:39 AM
SouthernBelle86's Avatar Rachelle
Thanks for the advice, I think my mom is doing a pretty great job with the rsvp calls. I'm so greatful she offered to step in when my sister didn't want the rsvp responsibility because she refused to tell people that kids were not really welcome and it was geared toward adult ladies.

I'll just hope that the few people that do wind up bringing children with them keep them on a tight leash and won't stay long if the kids start to act up. I want this to be enjoyable for my entire family as they have all put so much money and time invested in this and I would feel terrible if it turned into a daycare circus event because of a few kids running around playing and screaming. My mom is already worried and stressed and me, my husband and mother in law are going to help as much as we can. Baby Showers are so expensive and stressful to plan, I remember last year when I hosted my sister's it was so stressful and we spent "My husband and I" over $500 on the shower between food, supplies and gifts and it was at our house. Now that it's my shower we are looking at the same cost or more due to the fact we are paying a venue price this time and invited 40 ladies but only expect around 20 or so to show up. I just pray that it's stress free as possible and worth all the time and money that's been invested in this shower for me and baby and we get our security deposit back after shower. We are so nervous that some of those kids that were at my house last year for my sister's shower will be at mine and ruin the venue with dropping food on floor and smearing food on walls and tearing into the gifts like that did at my home last year "the mother's of the kids were like awww so cute and would laugh. My mother and I were like OMG, she turned to me and said I will not allow you to raise my grandkids like that, I said don't worry! lol. Say a prayer for us! lol

My hubby said after that event he would never let me host another party like that with kids at our home ever again. Thank God for paint and carpet shampoo machine! It's a blessing we own our home and didn't rent because a landlord would have had a cow. I think we are going to be venue people for all future children parties that alot of wild kids are invited too. lol

10 Weeks-9/12/12

5 Weeks-12/12/12
July 19th, 2013, 08:55 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think your mom is handling it perfectly.

And I can't believe that those kids acted that way at your sister's shower, I would have honestly said something to the mom's. Mean or not it's your house they were ruining! I do not understand people who think that kind of stuff is cute. Dd knows if she acted like that we would be out of there faster than she could blink and she would have serious consequences. Whatever happened to teaching kids respect for others stuff?

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

July 23rd, 2013, 07:46 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Sounds like she is doing what she needs to do.

And adding in there will not be any entertainment or kid friendly food might help too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search