BTDT: labor feel like a big charlie horse?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 18th, 2013, 10:59 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Our childbirth class went over labor last night. Our teacher kind of described labor as one big charlie horse - that kind of muscle spasm that you can't control but you have to ride out and figure out how to deal with.

Would any of you agree? Disagree? The class was discussing vaginal delivery w/out drugs, which is what I'm looking for, so I'm looking for that perspective.
July 18th, 2013, 11:27 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would disagree. To me a contraction is like a wave of pain that comes over your body then ends in a really strong braxton hick with immense menstrual pain - I mean immense. Early labor contractions were just like period cramps. Everyone is different though.
Iluvmybabies* likes this.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
July 18th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkerBeeMama View Post
I would disagree. To me a contraction is like a wave of pain that comes over your body then ends in a really strong braxton hick with immense menstrual pain - I mean immense. Early labor contractions were just like period cramps. Everyone is different though.
This sounds like what I remember. I think I've mostly blocked the memories of the pain out though. :/
July 18th, 2013, 11:31 AM
~Momma*2011~'s Avatar I love my little girl!!
Everybody is different. My contractions were intense pain that started out in the my back and then wraps around to my stomach over and over again. It's hard to really explain.

July 18th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't describe it that way as well. To me early labor felt just like much much tighter braxton hicks and then they progressed to taking my breath completely away and then they progressed to being accompanied by crampy pain that moved from my back all the way to the lower belly...kind of like a vise mercilessly tightening you...The pain got manageable or 'rideable' if I stood with my legs apart and bent down at my waist holding on to the back of the couch(our couch was not up against a wall). So did moaning through them.. Laying down made the pain almost unmanageable and it made me very panicky....I was given the epidural when I was abt 5 cm - 24 hrs from the point early labor started. I therefore can't describe the pain after that. My epidural was the best, no numbness, I could move my legs, just didn't feel any more pain. Now when it came time for pushing it felt exactly like I needed to have a bowel movement...like something pushing up against your rectum, and I did exactly what I would do to have a bowel movement - only problem was I was on my back and it didn't feel 'right' to be pushing like that.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by Anitha; July 18th, 2013 at 11:37 AM.
July 18th, 2013, 11:41 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I don't think I would really describe it that way either. I am not really sure how I would describe it though.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 18th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
One of mine was exactly like menstral cramps that kept getting worse. That was the labor that was drug-free because I didn't know contractions could feel like that and didn't go to hospital until just before she was born.

The other two the contractions could be described at a Charlie horse I guess. Super intense, difficult to take mind away from pain.

My last labor I didn't feel any because they gave me the epidural before starting the pitocin
July 18th, 2013, 12:15 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Well.. glad to hear it wasn't charlie horse for everybody. I have had some bad menstrual cramps before, and I could get through them X 100 but the idea of a charlie horse for hours just really put me on edge. I wake up with them sometimes (pre PG) and it's awful, awful, Awful! It's like you're paralyzed! I pictured labor pain as something that I could move through to figure out a position, which sounds like a more universal experience. I learned some cool yoga moves that I think will help. But I'd have to be on the drugs if it was a full day charlie horse.
July 18th, 2013, 12:45 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Would not describe them as Charlie horse pains either! Obviously everyone is different, mine were definitely bearable until 5 cm when they broke my water. After that they were very intense and I was sobbing through them ( I was on pitocin at the highest level they could give :/) but I still would not compare them to a Charlie horse.

July 18th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
This is pretty much what I remember.
July 18th, 2013, 01:41 PM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Charlie horses are exactly how I would describe mine. My whole stomach tenses up but that's only where the pain is. I felt like if I just cut around my stomach I'd be totally pain free. Though the only difference for me is that with my regular Charlie horses my pain from them usually stays around for hours afterwards. With my labors it was just the 30-120 seconds then I felt completely fine. But this is also coming from someone who only went to a 4 before I got the epi.

With the baby we lost it was more that menstrual cramps wrapped around without any break... But I don't know if its just because it was because it was an induction or because I was going through labor before my body should have.

July 18th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is a very different feeling, but I would say my contractions were much worse than a Charlie horse. Early contractions were like bad period cramps. Later contractions were like being stabbed in the back while being trampled by a horse. I was induced and didn't have an epidural though.
WorkerBeeMama likes this.
July 18th, 2013, 02:47 PM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would say mine were like the worst cramps of my life that I just sobbed through! So intense!! With my son I also had the WORST back labour along with those horrible cramps. Moving or changing positions did NOTHING to help!

What have I gotten myself into again?!?
Wren likes this.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

July 18th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
I think Charlie horse is kind of downplaying it. Unfortunately (to me at least ), there is no pain like child birth, especially the pushing. People can describe it to you all they want (pure torture, hell on earth haha) but there is no way of imagining it until you do it. It may not even be that bad for you. I went in expecting it to be the most painful thing I've ever experienced & even with that expectation....wow. That being said....I'm doing it again, which tells you it's worth it.
July 18th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't think it was as painful as a charlie horse. It was the most intense sensation I have ever felt but not in a searing pain kind of way. But maybe that is because my hypnobabies cds told me about 5 thousands times that I would feel only preasure, not pain.

July 18th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Julie
I wouldn't describe it as a charlie horse either. Except for very early labor, its much worse than even bad menstrual cramps. When I went from 6-ten cmintwenty minuteI got on all fours on the bed and started ripping my hospital gown off. I was somehow trying to get out of my own body-may not make sense but that's the best I can describe it. However, many other women do not react like that, so don't take what my experience was and assume anything about your labor since we are all very different. I had spent ten peaceful hours prior to that dealing with the contractions, it was because the doctor turned up the pitocin on me I think.

July 18th, 2013, 06:51 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok I was thinking about this more as I was (trying) to scrape stickers off of my son's race car bed. I decided that for me, it was particularly not like a charlie horse because there is a build up/pattern. With a charlie horse, it is sudden intense pain that you can't stop and breathing through it doesn't help. With a contraction, there is a build up of pain. It wasn't an all the sudden process, the contractions build up, peak, and then gradually subside until the next one starts.

I also had really intense back labor- even the epidural I got last time couldn't cure that pain. That was due to the position he was in though.

Call me crazy, but I'm excited for the labor part again. I'm hopeful for my VBAC and I'm hoping I walk in with better pain management techniques this time!

July 18th, 2013, 07:18 PM
east to west coast's Avatar ~Melissa~
Everyone experiences labor differently. That wasn't my experience; a charlie horse-type pain is pretty intense and sudden in my opinion. My contractions were like a crescendo--starting very dull and getting more intense as the contraction peaked. In general, though, my contractions were very, very manageable until I was put on pitocin and started experiencing back labor.

Thank you, MommaDucks, for my lovely siggy
July 18th, 2013, 07:42 PM
"Shay-see"
Yeah, a charlie horse is gripping, paralyzing pain where your muscles contract fully and continue trying to contract past where they physically can so it's almost a tearing sensation - I don't think I'd describe any part of the laboring process like that. There is contraction, but it's like a very powerful wave of menstrual cramping - I don't remember it ever feeling like I had contracted my uterus muscles fully and that they were solidly stuck like that - it was always in waves and flowing, and it was *going* somewhere you know? In or out; rarely static.

What was scary for me was feeling her descend towards the birth canal and sitting with her head against my pelvis. It was like a bowling ball had nestled itself into my pelvic opening and it was terrifying imagining everything opening to allow it out. I gather the "oh god I can't do this" is a pretty common reaction among women at that stage, but this process has been going on for millennia - it can be done, and if you're determined (and nothing goes awry) it will.

If you're up and about, walking around, squatting, changing positions etc. helps a lot. Laboring on one's back is a pretty dubious human invention and gravity works against you that way. I found heat/hot water to be super helpful for the first 30 hours (the part I did without drugs). IME you sort of go inside yourself and you become this weird animal being that wants to claw, bite, grunt, run around, roll on the floor, scream, and kick - very little of what anyone says to you during the process will be memorable - it's like you've gone from civilized human to primal beast and all the higher functions are muted. It's pretty amazing really. If you can find a birthing team that will just get out of your way and let this process take place, it's much easier to manage the pain than laying in bed doing nothing but FEELING everything, you know?
soul_donut likes this.
July 18th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
My second labor never progressed much further than just bad period cramping. I was trying repeatedly for an epidural cause I had a plan, PAIN FREE! lol Period cramps didn't fit into it. The only thing that hurt with her was pushing her out.

With my first, my doctor had broken my water in a painful way. My cervix got jabbed pretty hard so the rest of the labor I felt like there was a knife in my vagina. No pain anywhere else. It just felt like my cervix was ripped. Highest pitocin drip you can be given didn't help.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search