Furry friends?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Iluvmybabies*
  • 2 Post By MrsHoot

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2013, 03:18 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What is everyone doing to prepare their furry friends for baby's arrival?

I've tried playing clips of babies laughing and crying but it doesn't seem to phase my cats one way or the other. We've also started kicking them out of the bedroom at night this week. Baby will sleep in our room for a while so no kitties allowed while we're sleeping. I read to kick them out early so they don't associate that with the baby. I also plan on lining the crib & PNP with tinfoil once they're set up.

Any other advise?

July 20th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
I didn't do much to prepare my cat hubby just brings home something that smells like baby
soul_donut likes this.
5 time HG survivor , AP Mama to 5 GIRLS
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 9mo 10/10/13

July 20th, 2013, 05:46 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the only thing DH did last time was to bring home one of Sawyer's blankets. Our animals all did really really well. The dogs didn't like Sawyer as a newborn laying on or near them, but now he climbs all over them and pulls their tails and they could care less! I also have an evil cat who I was very pleasantly surprised to see tolerated Sawyer well.
soul_donut and MrsPea like this.

July 20th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our cats & dog are outside animals, so we don't have to do a lot to prepare them. The horses (also outside pets!! ) seem to cope pretty well as long as you don't stick a squalling infant under their nose

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
July 20th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
In the past the cats stay away from baby from day one due to crying
July 21st, 2013, 07:17 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
When DH comes home from the hospital for an hour or so to shower and feed the cats, he'll bring baby's blanket or something that smells like the new guy and leave it for the cats to smell. I think my younger cat will care less, and be happy to have another friend in the house, but the older one will feel a little jealous, because he always follows us around and is by our side. I hope he embraces the new member and doesn't get upset by the lack of attention for a while.
July 21st, 2013, 09:06 AM
Leah
SO will also bring something that smells of the baby while we're still in the hospital. I'm thinking of playing some crying baby sounds too, but I'm not sure that'll faze my girl much. My concern is she's a talker and were trying to work on her talkative barking habits, particularly when she's stressed about someone leaving. She has separation anxiety that's gotten a bit worse since her brother died, and she definitely lets me know. It doesn't bother me personally, but obviously I want the barking toned down once there's a sleeping baby.

Other than that, it's really up to us to make sure that after the baby is home, we still give her time and attention so she's not resentful. She's been my lil girl for almost 12 years, I don't want her associating the baby with a loss of that status. Especially while she's still mourning her brother.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
July 21st, 2013, 09:09 AM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Leah- Sawyer slept through any barking as an infant. I think he got used to it in the womb!! Now, as a 2 year old is when it wakes him up.

July 21st, 2013, 12:05 PM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I have never done anything before, and we have never had any problems in the past.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 23rd, 2013, 07:58 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
nada, our dogs don't seem to care about little babies.... as long as they have food, someone to take them out and other kids to give them attention they are good to go. They didn't even seem to notice sophie when she was little.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search