Anyone else alone in your area?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rosiegirl7

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2013, 11:31 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I had several good friends here at one time, but after we all "grew up," I was the only one to stay. One is 3-4 states away, one is teaching English in a third world country, one is in Washington state, 2 are about 4 hours north, and my nearest is a 45 minute drive. With gas as high as it is, we don't get to see each other too often.

My dad was a Southern Baptist Minister of Music most of my life. That translates to he was constantly getting ticked at the church after a year of being there, moving to where "God sent him," and repeating the process. I moved about 14 times with my parents growing up. Didn't really make for many deep and meaningful relations with people.

DH's family is 3 hours south. I feel so alone here sometimes. Just no one to hang out with anymore. I talk on the phone a lot, but it gets old walking around this house with my phone on speaker tucked into my bra.

I need a hobby group or something, but most of the women that go to those don't have the same interests as me. I like crafts and sci-fi. Read too many comics. People like me act like regular nerds and stay anti-social. Can't even do the town band thing anymore cause everyone got too old to come to practice. Except for me, the weird 31 year old digging the town band.

So anyone else living alone in your area? What do you do for fun?
July 23rd, 2013, 11:45 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yep! Pretty well alone here too, I don't really hang out with anyone and DH is my only friend at this point. I have 2 other good friends but they live far away. It sucks, always so bored, days are so long. Not much here to do for fun but take the kids for walks honestly.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

July 23rd, 2013, 11:50 AM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
Alone here too. Anyone we knew got out of the Army like we did and went back to where they were from, all over the U.S. My parents and brother now live 2 hours from me but haven't visited yet due to DH's daughter being here. (She doesn't want to see the stress she has put me under.) I don't have any friends and DH is gone 4 days a week now, so alone A LOT!
July 23rd, 2013, 11:50 AM
Loni's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our closest relatives are 300 miles away. We each have friends but we don't go out much because we are both homebodies. Our kids are our life but we are happy like that. We have 9 acres of land that we bought last year so that keeps us busy plus all the kids activities. I'd love to be closer to family but we have no family drama to deal with because they are so far away.
July 23rd, 2013, 11:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How about finding friends through your kiddos? My current closest "girlfriends" are all becuase of my 3.5 year old. We dont have the most in common, but that ok...we have enough in common. Having the same age kiddos always gives us a reason to hang out and at least one thing to start conversation with (at least in the begining). I think the lack of social interaction is why I could never be a SAHM. Im not out-going enough to make socilization a priority in my life and I would go crazy talking to little people day in and day out!

July 23rd, 2013, 11:55 AM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are alone now, but soon I will be moving back to my hometown. There's nothing like being able to go for a coffee with a girlfriend and chat. I really miss that. I'm hoping to make new friends too. I'm not sure if your area has it but check out Meetup.com and search for things you are interested in. I agree it gets old talking on the phone!
Spyctre likes this.
July 23rd, 2013, 12:31 PM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm alone period. I don't even have a mom and dad to support me or help me through it. I have a friend who lives about an hour and a half away but she has fibro so meeting with her is tough too. I feel your pain, lady. I am too socially awkward and have too many children to venture out into the world to try to make new friends. Plus I don't trust very easily. All in all it makes for a recipe of being alone. I wish I could figure out how to meet new people. If I ever figure it out, I'll let you know Same goes for you though, please?

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
July 23rd, 2013, 03:38 PM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermansWife4 View Post
I'm alone period. I don't even have a mom and dad to support me or help me through it. I have a friend who lives about an hour and a half away but she has fibro so meeting with her is tough too. I feel your pain, lady. I am too socially awkward and have too many children to venture out into the world to try to make new friends. Plus I don't trust very easily. All in all it makes for a recipe of being alone. I wish I could figure out how to meet new people. If I ever figure it out, I'll let you know Same goes for you though, please?
I swear i could have wrote most of your post!! I know exactly how you feel, I don't have a mom or dad either, and no other family. Its just me DH and our kids basically! I'm super socially awkward, so I find it hard getting out there at all!!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

July 23rd, 2013, 04:42 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
Yep!
I'm around family for right now but with working part time and school and general preggo tiredness I dont see anyone. I live with my mom for now, but as far as friends go? I really dont have any. I have one gf who I've known forever, but she goes to school a thousand miles away and so I only saw her last week and probably wont see her again for another year, if that.
Dh is gone and we skype, but I wish I had more friends that I actually am FRIENDS with instead of work friends/family who I'm not super close with.
Right now I suppose I'm lucky since there are technically people near me, but once DH comes back and we move again I will not be moving home if he deploys/goes TDY (TDI? idk lol)

OH.
And the whole time we were away for the year I moved down there we got exactly 1 visit from his aunt and grandma and that was only because he was deploying..and it was only for like 1.5 days lol. So I doubt unless we make the plans that anyone will really visit us once we move, let alone my family since they dont travel and his family is obsessed with him and sometimes I feel could honestly care less about me. lol
July 23rd, 2013, 06:57 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are alone here too. All of our family is half an ocean and half a country away, and our only close friends here on the island are moving next month.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

July 24th, 2013, 07:35 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
pretty much on my own here.

My mom does live in the same time, but isn't someone that I can call on cuz of her job, and my mom and I don't have a lets just hang out relationship.

A year ago I would say I have tons of friends, but go through something major and you will find who your real friends are.

I wished so bad I could find a BFF to just talk with throughout the day and hang with and all. I miss that.

I am kinda trying to not panic, but right now I don't have anyone lined up to watch the kids when I am giving birth. Of course it all depends on the day of the week and time of the day, but I don't really have anyone that would be there at any time or day. Most that are willing to help work too.

July 24th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am definitely alone where I am too. I left my home town years ago, and have moved to a couple of different states ever since, so half of my long-term friends are still there, then the other half have moved even father away. I have no family, and I mean absolutely none (long story there ), so for many years now I've only had my husband who has not only been my partner in life, but my best friend. We will be divorcing soon, so then it will just me me and the kids...living in a very rural area with nothing much to do. This should be interesting. :/
July 24th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Pretty much. I've moved a lot since college and all my good friends are at least 2 hours away. Closest relatives are 3.5 hours away. We have been here 2 years and this town is much friendlier than our last town. I've met a bunch of people I am friendly with through my daughter. However, I still don't have anyone I am totally comfortable calling up to meet for coffee, being pretty shy. I also don't have anyone lined up to watch my daughter when I go into labor. My parents are going to be traveling until the end of September, so I hope they will be up here in time. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would be willing to step up, but no one I would feel actually comfortable calling at 3 am or whatever.
July 24th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Sometimes it's nice not to have a lot of social stuff. A year ago I went out of my way to become super involved with my moms club. I even became VP and thought it would help my social anxiety. It was a nightmare.

I'm not like most moms at all. At the end of the day I'd rather stay home and be myself than go out to dinner with a group of ladies who I have nothing in common with.

I only really have one friend here. I know some of the moms club ladies think we're friends but they don't really know me and its a so superficial.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search