are the any other homeschool mamas here?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By happywife
  • 1 Post By slmehaffey
  • 2 Post By 2Corinthians10:4
  • 1 Post By 2Corinthians10:4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 29th, 2013, 12:25 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son is going into kindergarten this year and I'm currently preparing his curriculum. I'm excited about it, and it makes it so much easier to make the curriculum now that all the states are joining the same curriculum... I don't have to worry so much about what I am and am not teaching at the right time...
I'm wondering though, have any of you got plans for what to do when baby comes? We will start Kindergarten the beginning of September, but then baby will be here a month and a half to two months later and that is surely going to mess us up for at least a little while... if you have homeschooled before do you have any advice?

July 29th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Loni's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't home school but I have a few friends that do and the one was just posting on FB that she was starting her twins this week with their kindergarten curriculum because she knew that she was going to have a busy fall and was going to want to take some time off to do some things. Maybe start before September if you can that way you can take time off when the baby comes and not fall too far behind. Another one of my friends that homeschools does school 6 days a week so that if she feels like taking time off or the kids are having an off day she can take time off without falling behind.

Like I said I don't homeschool but hopefully this was a little helpful.
July 29th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't homeschool, but am open to it. If I could ever become more organized, I'd love to give it a shot! But anyway, I wanted to mention that there is a homeschooling board here that you could check out if you wanted to. It's not super busy, but active enough that you may get the sort of feedback you're looking for.
July 29th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I used to. My way was to take it week by week. I would hang the schedule up on Monday morning so the kids could see it. As we completed each task for the day I would sharpie it off...again so we could see what we'd accomplished. Whatever didn't get done would be added to next day. Friday was always planned lightly to allow us to finish everything for the week.

I always began the day with what needed to be done each day- math, spelling, reading. And ended the day with extra once a week subjects like art or science so it would be ok to save them for another day if needed.
July 29th, 2013, 06:11 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I grew up homeschooled and hope to homeschool with our kids, at least for a while. My SIL was a teacher and now works as a coordinator for a homeschool group in her area, while homeschooling her four little ones. Sorry I'm not much help with advice! I know my SIL is super organized, and I think does M-Thur with half day on Friday followed by an outing. By being involved with a homeschool group there is a lot of support and lots of others kids for her kids to play with.
July 29th, 2013, 09:12 PM
I can't start earlier than September, we've had a really busy summer and it isn't over yet, I'll be lucky if I'm done preparing for the year before September... and last year because of a few things (including morning sickness) we had to take a lot of time off but still finished before the summer was fully here, so even if I take time off I should be ok... hopefully!
I need to connect with the homeschool group that is one town away and see if they are very active, there are none in my town.
It's fun to see that some of you either have in the past or are considering homeschool in the future.

July 30th, 2013, 01:16 PM
happywife's Avatar Super Mommy
I love homeschooling! I am going to do pre-k3 stuff with my twins this year. It didn't work out with my oldest kids, they have always been in private school. But, if things go my way, I will homeschool my twins and Madison all the way!
slmehaffey likes this.

Married to my bestfriend Graham and proud mommy to Codi - 15, Kevin - 13, DJ - 11, Mylyn & McKynlee - 3 & Graham Jr. ~born on Earth, living in Heaven ~ May 9, 2012
July 30th, 2013, 02:00 PM
going over all that the public schools are teaching and sorting it all out is a little daunting, but then I just finished reading what is actually required by the state I live in and it is pretty easy... they require that I teach spelling, reading, math, science, social studies and English.... up until 10th grade and then add in a few others... but there is no real requirement for what I teach inside of those subjects or when I teach them... I also don't have to register with the state which I originally thought I would have to do... I'm pretty excited, I feel like a bit of the weight of it has been lifted off my shoulders.
SierraWinter likes this.

July 30th, 2013, 11:35 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We homeschool and love it! I don't really pay much attention to what the public school is teaching mainly because the way the public school teaches here is one of the main reasons why I am homeschooling lol. We are using the classical approach right now and loving it.

I do however print off the Texas state standards and try to fit those in as the year goes on, because we will go back there eventually. They aren't hard to do and most are fit in with what we already have planned and others with field trips or storybooks.
slmehaffey and Fortroseberry like this.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

July 31st, 2013, 12:35 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I homeschooled and wanted Alice homeschooled, but I am not equipped to teach her. Might do it with Winter or the new baby. My dad is teaching at a small private school, and I was planning on sending them there, but I've met the principal. Let's just say I don't think half the people there should be in education. The place runs on volunteers and one good teacher, my dad. Think I might stick with public if I decide not to homeschool.

I'm glad Winter is a little too young yet. I would not want to be starting any time soon after this one is born. Need my sleep! I know we'll be teaching colors, shapes, and the alphabet/numbers deal. DH doesn't want any of ours--save Alice--in pre-K.
July 31st, 2013, 10:47 AM
Fortroseberry's Avatar Veteran
We do, and plan on working hard until Caroline arrives, then do workbooks (a la Costco ones) for about 6 weeks after (or less depending on how we're doing) she gets here. That way they will still have some sort of routine.

As far as starting, and then taking a break, I think he will be used to it by the time baby comes, that if you needed to take a break, he'll be ok. Besides it's Kinder, so it's not a high pressure grade. You'll catch up quickly. Good luck with your first year! We have LOVED it so far!

July 31st, 2013, 12:23 PM
Technically we did pre-school last year, and it worked out great so I'm kinda in it for my second year I guess...

I have only been looking at the public schools teachings because I don't know how long we will homeschool.. we are taking it year by year, and if at some point he has to go into public school I want to be sure I've at least gone over the things that they are teaching in public school.. though for religious reasons there will be a few things we teach differently.
I think all in all it is going to be an easy year, mostly games and learning to read and write. He's already been using his alphabet puzzles to try to make words (none are actually words) and a lot of math and science can be done with games and high activity things outside. I'm excited.
The daunting task is just the sorting.... trying to see what it is he should be learning and then once I have the 'list' prepared then putting actual lessons into it will be both fun and easy.

July 31st, 2013, 01:47 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I understand that, that's why we look over the Texas standards to make sure we are getting them all in. Hawaii just has horrible school systems and even the teachers will tell you that, so we choose not do what they do lol.

We are actually in week 3 of our school year now. We started early because not only do we have the baby coming but we also have a big vacation planned from Thanksgiving to Christmas so I would like to have as much of the semester done as possible before then. I think if we are somehow able to get a whole semester in we will start with a 4 week on, 1 week off schedule for the rest of the year.
slmehaffey likes this.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

July 31st, 2013, 05:16 PM
lol.. about Hawaii... I don't know why but I kinda think that makes sense.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search