School supplies advice PLEASE!

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lemon

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Julie
So, I hate going shopping for school supplies. I swear, I just want too scream when someone blocks an aisle and I can't get through to get what I need. Do any of you ladies shop for supplies online? I have three school-age kids so the total will be considerable (might qualify for free shipping?). Any suggestions? Or perhaps it would cost less to just go to the store?

July 30th, 2013, 05:44 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I always go to the store. I find it easier if I can actually look at the item. I also try to go when my state has the tax free weekend (it is this weekend for us here in VA). It really does help to not have to pay tax on items. That reminds me that I need to print off our school supply lists... thanks

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 30th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Go on a weekday in the early morning, if you can. Go soon because it's starting to get busy. I need to find our last few items this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieshalon2 View Post
I always go to the store. I find it easier if I can actually look at the item. I also try to go when my state has the tax free weekend (it is this weekend for us here in VA). It really does help to not have to pay tax on items. That reminds me that I need to print off our school supply lists... thanks
Ours is this weekend too. I'm almost done shopping, but I'm hoping to get their sneakers this weekend.
July 30th, 2013, 06:17 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I always shop in stores too, when they has sales!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

July 30th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I went to rack room shoes last weekend for our sneakers. They had an awesome sale going running, on top of the usual buy one get one 1/2 off deal they always have. I got 4 pairs of Nike high tops and 1 pair of adidas high tops for under $200. I really felt good about that shopping trip, lol. Kids are so funny now days in the bigger grades (middle school here, I have a soon to be 7th grader). If you don't wear Nike brand shoes and black socks with them they call you gay and will beat you up in the restroom. It is TOTALLY insane.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
July 30th, 2013, 09:40 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Holy crap! I'm glad I live in California. People here pretty much can wear whatever they want, well at least where we are.

My kids school have always supplied all the needed stuff for school, but we are switching Sophia's school, so this year I have to buy supplies for the first time. I estimated it will cost me about $75. I plan on just going to Target and getting the items I need.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
July 30th, 2013, 10:04 AM
What really kills me is that we get the list before school, and then once they start most of the time we find out that they didn't actually need some of the stuff we bought and never will need it. I go to the dollar tree a lot of times and get things like notebooks,pencils and paper.

Mindy, it used to be fine here when Tristen was in elementary school. Middle school opened a huge can of worms that I DO NOT like. Even the school board has been notified about what is going on, but they can't seem to get it under control. I am not sure how it is for girls in the middle school, but I know that being a boy there is super hard. It seems to mellow out some in high school from what I hear though. I guess it is all those puberty hormones rearing their ugly heads in middle school.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04

Last edited by jamieshalon2; July 30th, 2013 at 10:06 AM.
July 30th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have gotten Joey Nikes the last 2 years and them have been super cute and lasted. I'm pretty sure I've gotten them at Kohls with a coupon for less than $40. woot.

Sad about kids and their brands. Middle school scares me for sure.
jamieshalon2 likes this.
July 30th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Nike is a very good brand. My kids are super tough on shoes and they seem to stand up to them pretty well.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
July 30th, 2013, 11:16 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sophia ruins shoes. My DH and I laugh about how she can never wear TOMS because they would be trashed after the first wear.

My oldest is going into middle school this year. Her school has both at the same school though so it is not much different than before. I have no idea what we are going to do for Sophia though. I think I will probably try to put her in private. Middle school can be scary!

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
July 31st, 2013, 09:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I always buy in store. I try to start early...like as soon as its out in the stores and the lists are put out. No crowds, no pressure.

I also use this method if I can with Christmas!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search