Really wish I was told this bit of gold! A post for first timers.

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By Spyctre
  • 1 Post By Loni
  • 2 Post By Daisee37
  • 1 Post By Rosiegirl7
  • 2 Post By jamieshalon2
  • 1 Post By slmehaffey
  • 1 Post By anothermother

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2013, 01:05 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
There are a bunch of things, tiny things, that may gross you out, shock you, or keep you up at night when you bring home a new baby. No one ever thinks to mention them. It's always about the baby being awake, colic, or other "normal" things. So here is a few things I will tell you about. Other BTDT moms, please add to the list!

1. Sometimes a baby will hack stuff up, "chew" it, and swallow it back down. Don't be alarmed. Totally normal!

2. They will make you feed that baby ever 3-4 hours in the hospital, but it's not always a good thing to get baby on an eating schedule. Let baby eat when he or she gets hungry, not just because it's been 3 hours. I wish someone told me this with DD1. I went home feeding her on a schedule, and she eventually decided that every 2-3 hours she WOULD be fed!

They made me do this with DD2. She ended up with a belly ache from eating too much.

3. Babies will make sounds when they sleep. Might be a soft cry or a moan. It's just them waking up a little and going back to sleep. You do not need to lose sleep over this. They don't need to be fed at the time. Wait for real crying before you get up.

4. You may find a tiny smear of blood in a girl baby's diaper. Just your hormones wearing off.

5. Your girl or boy baby may have milk come from their nipples. Again, hormones.

6. Any type of pain will make your baby want to suck. Sometimes you might need a paci. Don't feel bad if you get one.

7. Breastfeeding moms especially: Explosive poop. Don't drop the baby when it happens! lol

July 31st, 2013, 04:50 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Explosive poop isn't just bf'ing mommas, lol. Each one of mine have covered my leg or arm at one point or another. It is rather funny after it happens, but not too funny during.

Plus if you have a little boy, odds are that you are going to get pee in your face at some point. They have a tendency to pee straight up in the air. My mom actually got it in the mouth one time, lol. She was cooing to the baby while changing his diaper and wham.... pee stream right in the mouth, lol. Those little boogers can shoot it pretty far up in the air too

Don't feel like you are annoying your doc when you call the for what you may think are little things. Even us BTDT moms do that at times. I know at least once during each pregnancy I have made a surprise visit to the doc because I wonder or have a gut feeling that something is wrong. they expect things like that, that is what they are there for.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 31st, 2013, 06:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
These are great so far.

I third the explosive poop thing. It WILL happen. Jackson did it so many times in the first 6 months or so that I had to just toss out a lot of his onesies. The poop sometimes will literally go up their back and almost (or does) reach the back of their neck. It's THAT explosive. It's really not as gross as it sounds though, especially if you BF. It's pretty odorless.

2 things I freaked out about the first couple of days home:
The first night I noticed tiny pink-ish crystals in his diaper. I thought it was blood (somehow) and freaked and called the Dr without googling. He said it was a sign that Jackson was a touch dehydrated but pretty normal for the 3rd day of life and to just nurse him again and call back if it happened the next day. It didn't, he was fine. I guess the crystals turn pink when they react to something in the diaper?

Also, my son was a huge spitter, as in spit-up all the time. He didn't have reflux and it didn't hurt him, but he spit up all the time. The first time it happened it looked like a lot to me and I thought he was sick and I called my Mom freaking out at 2AM. She said I used to do the same and he was most likely fine. Their stomachs are just SO small when they are newborns. This goes back to what Spyctre said, feed them when they are hungry and not just on a schedule. Sometimes I would wait 4-5 hours to feed Jackson if he wasn't hungry, and sometimes he would nurse again after only an hour.
& Henry Joseph- born 10/15/13
8 lbs 10 oz and 22" long

July 31st, 2013, 06:37 AM
Loni's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The best piece of advice I was give was to let the baby sleep however it wants, where ever it wants the first few months. I know alot of people who have put the carseat in the crib because the only place their baby would sleep was in the car seat. There were several nights that my oldest slept in her swing because every time we took her out she would wake up screaming. So let your baby sleep in the car seat, swing, bouncy seat, boppy, where ever, and catch a few z's yourself!
Spyctre likes this.
July 31st, 2013, 06:43 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Very good advice coming in here. I almost feel like I am starting all over again. It is hard to remember what I did 13, 9 and 6 years ago, lol.

Funny story on the explosive poop. When my oldest son was about 2 weeks old I had him at my mom's house. I was sitting on the love seat changing his pee diaper and right at that moment he decided to poop. He squirted it all over my leg, the couch, and his clothes. Since I was a FTM at the time and pretty darn new the whole thing I just sat there wide eyed. I didn't even know that babies could poop like that, lol. My mom just had to laugh at me.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
July 31st, 2013, 07:55 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll add a thing about peeing... it's not just boys that pee during diaper changes. For whatever reason, during the first month or two, the feel of cold air during a diaper change makes a baby pee. Girls and boys. Be prepared. Put something over your boy's parts if you don't want him to pee all over your arm/face/wall. Consider putting something under your girl so that when she pees, it doesn't get all over her.
slmehaffey and jamieshalon2 like this.

August 2012 December 2012
July 31st, 2013, 08:36 AM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
I don't think this is true of all babies, but with my first son, he would eat regardless of if he was full. He would drink double to triple the amount recommended for his age & I would allow him because I thought if he was eating, he was hungry. He would chow down then projectile throw up about 75% of it. Poor baby!
July 31st, 2013, 09:30 AM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Milk coming from their nipples???
MrsPea likes this.
July 31st, 2013, 09:36 AM
Yep Rosie, their little hormones are going crazy right after birth. None of my boys had that, but their nipples were a bit red and swollen. ALSO, their little ball sacks are bright, blood red and swollen. It is totally normal and for my boys it lasted a couple of days. It freaked me out pretty bad when I had my first son. I thought something was seriously wrong with him. His ped kind of laughed and told me that it was totally normal and actually to be expected in most boys.
Spyctre and Rosiegirl7 like this.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
July 31st, 2013, 12:17 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
If you are nursing, foods you would not even think of could give your child reflux. Apples seem to be the worst for many because babies have a hard time digesting the pectin. Or so a pedi once told me.

Yeah, I was told the explosive poop could happen to all, but they said it's more common in BF babies cause they are less likely to have rice in their milk. =) DD1 would have it up her back, and it was LOUD! I almost dropped her a couple times cause it was as loud as a balloon being popped right next to my head. So if you hear an explosion, it's poop. lol

DD2 never had stools like DD1. Not one single explosive poop. I would pump what milk I could and add rice for DD1, still had the explosions. I worry DD2 will have problems when she's older. Some kids are just born constipated no matter what you do. =P

My girls' were swollen down there a bit after birth as well. I know it's a bit fatty for a few years, but after birth it was ridiculous! It did go down really fast.
July 31st, 2013, 12:31 PM
CountryMedic911's Avatar Kerana mama to be in 2013
All this is great advice for all of us! thank you!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for the awesome siggy!
July 31st, 2013, 01:03 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the things mentioned about baby after birth are all pretty good, I don't have one to add, except that after a few days/weeks of no sleep and baby waking and crying, or just not going back to sleep you will probably have thoughts that you would never EVER think if you had gotten enough sleep yourself and don't worry about them unless you have an impulse to act on them.
example... when I brought my son home and he was crying at night a lot, a few different days I was so tired and couldn't get him to stop and just wanted to put a pillow over him, not pressed down, just to muffle the sound... I never did it, but I remember the thought scaring me so badly, talk to people if you are worried about your lack of sleep and try to get help so you can nap during the day if you are able, and if not maybe consider a post partum doula for the nights. and forget about doing dishes and laundry until you get some proper sleep.

and one about birth that I really wish someone had told me... if you water breaks, it may or may not come out all in one huge gush (even if there is a huge gush you are NOT empty of fluid at that point) and there will be more coming soon. I was in hospital for 16 hours with no contractions and feeling as if I pee'd myself every couple of minutes, it was ackward and uncomfortable but baby had plenty of fluid left. with my second the midwife broke my water and it came out in gushes continually with each contraction like a faucet (she had very high fluid and her head wasn't engaged)
Spyctre likes this.

July 31st, 2013, 01:13 PM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Something to be careful about with feeding though with those first couple weeks be sure to keep an eye on making sure the baby does get enough to eat. Sometimes when they are that young they don't always wake up to eat if they are super sleepy. Low blood sugar could kick in and baby will start losing weight. We had to watch Chloe with that and I had a friend's baby do the same thing.

Also, be aware of growth spurts. Your baby could be happy as a lark one day and the next just as miserable as could be. My girls always followed the 3, 6, 9, 12 weeks growth spurt. Followed by the 6, 9, 12 month growth spurt. It's rough, but it will be over eventually and you will have your happy baby back! Full moons also bothered my girls. Also during these times be aware of cluster feedings, and be prepared to spend a lot doing nothing but that.
Spyctre likes this.

July 31st, 2013, 05:10 PM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
slmehaffey, thank you for sharing how you felt in that example of when your son wouldn't stop crying. Admitting you feel that way or are having similar thoughts can be hard to tell someone else, but if it does, please talk to your doctor or someone you really trust. There is nothing "wrong" with you, its actually pretty normal!! I know I was overwhelmed and had to step back for a minute and leave DH with the baby and go outside to take a few deep breaths!
July 31st, 2013, 05:16 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
that was my first baby and it was hard to admit back then, but now I've got two and this one on the way so I'm more aware of what normal thoughts are... I just think it is so important for others to know that it is ok to have those thoughts, just not to act on them... I was freaking out back then about being a bad mom for thinking it... nope, just a sleep deprived mom.

July 31st, 2013, 06:05 PM
Veteran
This is a great thread, thanks for sharing ladies!
Team Green turned Team Blue, October 25th 2013
July 31st, 2013, 06:37 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Still over the explosive poop stories.

When I was 16 I babysat my baby brother 5-6 days a week while his parents worked. He was such an easy baby the worst he ever did was crap his britches and it went up the shirt into this hair. I thought that was bad

Good to know some of the things that might happen....
July 31st, 2013, 06:56 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmehaffey View Post
I think the things mentioned about baby after birth are all pretty good, I don't have one to add, except that after a few days/weeks of no sleep and baby waking and crying, or just not going back to sleep you will probably have thoughts that you would never EVER think if you had gotten enough sleep yourself and don't worry about them unless you have an impulse to act on them.
example... when I brought my son home and he was crying at night a lot, a few different days I was so tired and couldn't get him to stop and just wanted to put a pillow over him, not pressed down, just to muffle the sound... I never did it, but I remember the thought scaring me so badly, talk to people if you are worried about your lack of sleep and try to get help so you can nap during the day if you are able, and if not maybe consider a post partum doula for the nights. and forget about doing dishes and laundry until you get some proper sleep.
I accidentally got DD1 on a schedule. she was up every 2-3 hours for the first 14 months of her life. Holy crap, I was tired! At one point I just broke down crying in the middle of the night. I don't do well when sleepy. I would want to shake her I would be so upset about having to get up AGAIN. The most I did was a bear hug. If you saw me, I would be stomping across her room, giving her a bear hug, and muttering, "You will take my love, loud mouth, and you will suck on this boob and go right back to sleep." It was hard with her.

Winter Rose is 17.5 months, and she JUST started to sleep through the night about a month or two ago. She was waking up at least once a night till then. Not nearly as bad as Alice, though. 1 time is better than 4.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search