OT - sick kitty (or kitties?)

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2013, 08:39 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
My kitties are my current babies so I am always very concerned about them.. but since I haven't been cleaning the litter box, only cleaning the house, it took DH and I a little while to notice our cats were getting sick. Friday last week I said to DH that I had been finding little pieces of poo around when I was cleaning, and he said that he noticed that the cat's stool looked loose. Since he doesn't clean and I don't do the box any more, we missed it. So, we got some new food this weekend, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I ordered some Fortiflora powder to sprinkle on their food to see if that helps, but it doesn't arrive until tomorrow. Today my little guy seems needy and wants to cuddle me - he has had to get a partial bath already. I think I'm going to keep them watered but have them fast a little bit today, or boil some chicken for them to eat. I also might give them a spoon of yogurt. Anyway, just an OT post - if you have any suggestions for today, I'm all ears.
August 1st, 2013, 09:30 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I am sorry. I wish I did have some advice, but I don't have any cats. I hope your kitties are feeling better soon though.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
August 1st, 2013, 10:36 AM
"Shay-see"
Do you know if it's one or both?

OHH there was a big catfood recall for salmonella. I would look that up as a potential source (what was the food they were on when it started? What are they eating now?)

monitor their water intake since dehydration is usually the biggest concern when their stools go runny.

If your chicken and yogurt thing doesn't help restore some balance, I would suggest taking them in (or maybe taking one in and seeing if you can duplicate treatment in the second one without paying for two exams - not sure how viable that is.)

August 1st, 2013, 10:52 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
I think it may be both, but one cat more than the other (he's been more of a mess). I checked online and it doesn't seem to be their food involved in the recall (Hills Science Diet - Light, and this weekend, the Hills Natural Balance - Mature). Do you think canned chicken is alright or should I boil some? Both cats are sleeping right now (and all day) but what else is new? It's not abnormal fatigue. No other bad symptoms yet.. Fingers crossed after a little fasting and light eating tonight things get better. Thanks for your reply!
August 1st, 2013, 11:37 AM
"Shay-see"
I would boil the chicken unless the canned variety has a very short ingredients list (like chicken, salt, water) or something like that.

The change in food sometimes takes a little getting used to, so you might not see immediate improvement even if it is working. That said, both of the varieties you've tried are from the same company, yes? If it's a company-wide problem you've discovered, changing the food wouldn't have helped.

If they both have a problem, I would expect it's something wrong with the food or else they got into something that made them sick (you don't have rat poison or antifreeze out or anything they could have gotten into, right?) since they're unlikely to simultaneously develop spontaneous allergies.

The big question is how urgent do you feel about it, based on their symptoms (that's why monitoring food/water intake/lethargy etc. is so important). Having them adjust to new foods and get stable on them takes time and depending on the situation, time isn't always on your side. I know one of my cats is so sensitive to food changes that even switching to chicken and yogurt would make things worse for him for a while. I once had a cat get out and get poisoned without my knowing she'd gotten into antifreeze, and she didn't eat/drink anything up until the point that she passed away only a day later. If I had been more observant, I might have been able to save her. Then again; perhaps not.

At the vet they could do a fecal smear and make sure they're not sick with anything really bad, but it's hard to always know when that's necessary. I wish I could say something more useful than "trust your gut" and slather the thread with anecdotes of varying relevance. I'm the type to feel extremely frustrated when I pay for a doc visit only to have them give me really basic advice like trying a new food or whatever, so I DIY my own and my pet's healthcare whenever I can.

Good luck - I hope it sorts out easily.

August 1st, 2013, 01:54 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awe, poor kitties! New food could give them runny stools too, did you recently switch? I'd take them to the vet if they don't perk up soon.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search