how do i make her stop???

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By east to west coast

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2013, 05:13 PM
mama2ladybugs's Avatar Super Mommy
ok, so this has been going on for a while but it just got worse a few minutes ago. my daughter will put her fingers in her mouth and make herself gag. i figured before that she probably just didn't realize that that would happen if she stuck her fingers so far back, so we just basically would tell her "no, don't do that". well, i was just in our bedroom putting stuff away, and she kept doing it everytime i would turn my back on her and the last time she did it, she actually spit up a little. so now i'm officially freaked out and i don't know how to make her stop!!! i'm in the living room now, and of course i've noticed she hasn't done it again, so now i feel like she's doing it for attention. it's hard not to react to her doing that though and i even tried swating her on the butt a few times that she did it, but she didn't stop. should i just leave the room when she starts doing it? i don't know if it would really work though because she doesn't only do that when we are at home.

Thank you Babydoll213 for my beautiful siggy

WTTC #3 Fall 2017
August 20th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Veteran
I'm not sure, sorry. Maybe ask your pediatrician about it next time you see him/her.
August 20th, 2013, 07:21 PM
"Shay-see"
How old is she?

August 20th, 2013, 07:31 PM
mama2ladybugs's Avatar Super Mommy
shes a year old. she just had a visit with her pediatrician and isn't due back until november, so i think i'm going to call and ask.

Thank you Babydoll213 for my beautiful siggy

WTTC #3 Fall 2017
August 20th, 2013, 07:32 PM
east to west coast's Avatar ~Melissa~
How old is she?

I think it's really, really common for kids to do this around the age of 1. My daughter did. It's just another way of them exploring their body.

Thank you, MommaDucks, for my lovely siggy
August 20th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My daughter, now 3, went through this phase. I can't remember if it was 1 or 2, but she thought it was hilarious. I would tell her not to do it, but also try to ignore it because she realized quickly it would get her attention.
August 20th, 2013, 10:09 PM
estherm's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would ignore it.. Hard to do that though!

Thank you Jaidensmum!

August 20th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
Yup all 4 of my girls went through that at around 1 I used to just tell them not to and try and not put to much attention on it!
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 1 10/10/13

August 21st, 2013, 03:30 AM
Julie
Try your best to ignore it. I'm not sure how much a one year old can truly understand "no don't do that." But I could be wrong. The worst thing that could happen is she vomits a little and hopefully that will really make her stop doing it.

August 21st, 2013, 08:12 AM
east to west coast's Avatar ~Melissa~
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygreenes.mommy View Post
shes a year old. she just had a visit with her pediatrician and isn't due back until november, so i think i'm going to call and ask.
Oh- if she's 1, like I said, I think it's really, really common for kids to do this around this age. My daughter did, and we just ignored it. I think acknowledging that it's happening and making a big deal of it can make it turn into an attention seeking behavior.
Seasaidh likes this.

Thank you, MommaDucks, for my lovely siggy
August 22nd, 2013, 07:08 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Sounds like she discovered a new trick, and she probably sees it gets a reaction from you. I too would say ignore it.

I had a kid that was a head banger. She would hit her head on the wall, and the doc said ignore it and just don't let her do it on something dangerous, like the sidewalk or in the bathtub.

She stopped when she noticed I didn't pay attention to it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search