What Else Do I Need?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2013, 05:19 PM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I'm lost in the sauce on what else I am going to need for this baby come arrival day. I am walking distance from a Target which is AHHmazing but I really want to have everything prepared if possible.

So far I have:
Stroller
Car Seat (infant and regular)
Pack N Play & Crib
Changing Table
Diapers, Wipes, Rash Cream
Onesies in all sizes
Bathtub
Ergo Carrier
Nursing Bra, getting the pump soon
Nursing pads
Bouncer
Diaper Bag
Tons of Clothes and Toys
Bottles, Paci's
baby lotion, shampoo, wash
Swaddlers
Blankets

Are there any MUST haves that I'm missing? Or do you think I'm off to a good start?

THANKS ALL!
August 21st, 2013, 05:43 PM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
burp cloths or recieving blankets (to be used at burp cloths) otherwise looks like you got everything!
jamieshalon2 likes this.

August 21st, 2013, 07:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ooh, I thought of something. Baby Tylenol. Baby fingernail clippers? Nursing pillow? Mirror/car seat toys? Nursing covers are nice.
Fortroseberry likes this.

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]
August 21st, 2013, 07:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
There was another thread here recently that was helpful. I'm a FTM so don't know for sure, but have also been told I MUST have a swing.

A couple things I can think of, but again, what do I know?
- extra linens for the change pad and wherever your baby is sleeping at birth
- post birth items for you (maternity pads, something to pour water over your nether regions while you pee so it doesn't burn) Also, I bought arnica and a natural healing product with witch hazel in it for post-birth.
- Nursing tops if you feel like using them.
- nipple creams
- special baby detergent for washing if you plan to use it
- pail with lid for diapers

I'm just thinking of the things on my list, don't know how many of these are "must haves".
jamieshalon2 likes this.
August 21st, 2013, 07:58 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Definitely lanolin nipple cream if you are planning on nursing. That is something it is super helpful to have the first couple days, although the hospital may give you a small tube. Also for yourself if you are planning on nursing, get some nightgowns or pjs that you can unbutton. Just lots of easy-access tops, which don't necessarily have to be "nursing" tops that you buy.
August 21st, 2013, 09:17 PM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
I'm with Wren on the Lanolin cream! Also, you may consider a swing. Nothing extravagant, like a little travel swing. They can be lifesavers when you need to take a shower or do the dishes. Burp cloths!
Fortroseberry likes this.
August 22nd, 2013, 04:12 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I am going to try coconut oil instead of lanolin cream. Not only did I hear about it on here, but other places as well, plus I read that ingesting a tsp a day can help with milk production which I may need.
I agree on pads for yourself, nursing pads, make sure you have very comfy clothes to wear for at least a week or 2, tylenol for yourself in case your lady parts are in pain. thin blankets and burp cloths. I would have a few pacifiers on hand just in case you decide to use them at some point.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
August 22nd, 2013, 06:56 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I have heard so many people say all you NEED for when baby comes right away is diapers, boobs, an infant carseat, and some sleepers. The rest can be gotten eventually.

August 22nd, 2013, 07:01 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto on the burp rags! I have been told that is something I definitely want to have LOTS of! I started stockpiling yesterday.

I have been trying to buy SOMETHING baby-related on each grocery trip, so that I don't spend a billion dollars all at once. I was stocking up on diapers and wipes, but now I'm switching to things like burp rags, bibs, etc.

Just waiting to have our 2nd baby shower so hubby and I can make a big shopping trip to buy the rest of what we need! (I'm actually kind of excited about that, can you tell?!)

I do also need to get stuff for me, as far as nursing supplies, and post-delivery care.
August 22nd, 2013, 07:02 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizza411 View Post
There was another thread here recently that was helpful. I'm a FTM so don't know for sure, but have also been told I MUST have a swing.

A couple things I can think of, but again, what do I know?
- extra linens for the change pad and wherever your baby is sleeping at birth
- post birth items for you (maternity pads, something to pour water over your nether regions while you pee so it doesn't burn) Also, I bought arnica and a natural healing product with witch hazel in it for post-birth.
- Nursing tops if you feel like using them.
- nipple creams
- special baby detergent for washing if you plan to use it
- pail with lid for diapers

I'm just thinking of the things on my list, don't know how many of these are "must haves".
A swing was one thing that I really liked to have for my kids, thought not all of them LOVED it, but a few did, so it was a must have.

And we also used the bouncy seats a lot.

For post birth, usually the hospital will give you a bottle thing to fill with water, some give you some numbing cream/spray for down there too. I have a system I got that hooks to the sink spout, and it sprays water in a wand for me. Its heavenly.

I found nursing tops more of a pain in the butt than anything. If you don't want anyone to see your belly if you lift your shirt to nurse layering tank tops is great.

I say don't bother with the baby detergent. Waste of money. The baby will come in contact with your clothes, towels, blankets whatever, its fine to use what you use on your own clothes. If there is sensitive skin issues, EVERYONE would have to change the detergent.

Diaper pails... also another waste of money IMHO, if you are nursing the poops don't stink. They may start to smell once you start solids foods... but wrapping it in a plastic shopping bag and putting it in the regular trash works just as well. I find diaper pails to stink way worse.

Thats all JMHO from my experience.
mizza411 likes this.

August 22nd, 2013, 07:20 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
On detergent - you don't need Dreft or a specific baby detergent, but you can just get regular Tide or generic fragrance-free/sensitive skin detergent if you want to be safe.

On diaper pails - I agree that totally sealed containers stink worse. At some point, when they eat solid food the diaper pail design can outweigh the fermentation (?) issues, but nursing diapers probably do smell better in an open container. I liked my diaper pail for the convenience and the baking soda scented bags, but it is not totally necessary.
August 22nd, 2013, 07:24 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I always just bought a cheap trash can with a lid on it. that seemed to work better for me than the diaper pails. I always got a small sized one and bought scented bags. I figured that the smaller can and bags would force me to take it out to the big garbage can more often, lol.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
August 22nd, 2013, 09:25 AM
Awesome! Thanks ladies!
August 22nd, 2013, 10:07 AM
Fortroseberry's Avatar Veteran
You're off to a GREAT start! What a blessing!

August 22nd, 2013, 12:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Great suggestions on the diaper pails! I'm glad I hadn't bought one yet.

Also, layering tank tops- doh. Of course. Especially since it will be October (ie. cooler) when baby comes, I can easily layer and lift the one. Jenn, you just saved me a ton of money on nursing tops. Thanks!

Hoping for a home birth, so I'm on my own for the creams and water canisters, but they're easy to get and relatively cheap, so not too bad. For those having a hospital birth though, definitely take advantage!
August 22nd, 2013, 01:52 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I saw a tutorial on pinterest for layering tank tops the other day. I bought a bunch of tanks for 2.00 at F21 and am going to make my own, I can't justify 20.00 on a tank lol.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

August 22nd, 2013, 02:25 PM
Yea and this may sound weird but what about tube tops? You can throw a sweater over them, but they can just pull down...maybe I'll get some of those too for cheap.
jamieshalon2 and mizza411 like this.
August 22nd, 2013, 05:15 PM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Definitely get some witch hazel and tucks wipes. (the hospital should supply a squeeze bottle, but if not ask for one!!). It will help bring the swelling down and you will heal faster.

August 22nd, 2013, 10:06 PM
Fortroseberry's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancypants27 View Post
Tucks wipes

YES!!

August 23rd, 2013, 04:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
All the other ladies had excellent advice! I wouldn't add a thing. Reading this reminded me of things I forgot about actually, haha.

My hospital supplied the witch hazel, wipes, pads, and a squeeze bottle for peeing. So I probably wouldn't bother with any of that stuff but that's me. Get some pads for home though of course.
& Henry Joseph- born 10/15/13
8 lbs 10 oz and 22" long

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search