Dates.

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MrsHoot
  • 1 Post By Laurenj915

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2013, 05:33 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was looking up energy ball recipes for some easy snacks to take to work, and theni found a recipe that called for dates. This jogged my memory- I remember reading an article or two in the past that talked about pregnant women eating dates in late pregnancy and having a "better" birth. I just googled really quickly and found a small abstract on a small study of women that ate dates during the last 4 weeks of pregnancy.

Here's a link: The effect of late pregnancy consumption o... [J Obstet Gynaecol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Or here's the abstract:

We set out to investigate the effect of date fruit (Phoenix dactylifera) consumption on labour parameters and delivery outcomes. Between 1 February 2007 and 31 January 2008 at Jordan University of Science and Technology, a prospective study was carried out on 69 women who consumed six date fruits per day for 4 weeks prior to their estimated date of delivery, compared with 45 women who consumed none. There was no significant difference in gestational age, age and parity between the two groups. The women who consumed date fruit had significantly higher mean cervical dilatation upon admission compared with the non-date fruit consumers (3.52 cm vs 2.02 cm, p < 0.0005), and a significantly higher proportion of intact membranes (83% vs 60%, p = 0.007). Spontaneous labour occurred in 96% of those who consumed dates, compared with 79% women in the non-date fruit consumers (p = 0.024). Use of prostin/oxytocin was significantly lower in women who consumed dates (28%), compared with the non-date fruit consumers (47%) (p = 0.036). The mean latent phase of the first stage of labour was shorter in women who consumed date fruit compared with the non-date fruit consumers (510 min vs 906 min, p = 0.044). It is concluded that the consumption of date fruit in the last 4 weeks before labour significantly reduced the need for induction and augmentation of labour, and produced a more favourable, but non-significant, delivery outcome. The results warrant a randomised controlled trial.

I thought this was interesting and seems worth a try. I've never eaten a date though...they don't really sound that great! However, the energy ball recipe I found that wa made with dates is supposed to taste like the Girl Scout samoas....and I definitely like those!!
Seasaidh likes this.

August 21st, 2013, 05:47 PM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Interesting...you know what is really tasty? A Date shake! Look it up, you pit the dates, mix with cocoa powder and ice cream or milk and its yummy!
August 21st, 2013, 06:16 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lara bars are almost all dates and they are awesome!
SierraWinter likes this.

August 21st, 2013, 06:56 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Omg Lara bars are yummy!
I eat dates in my oatmeal. There are some delicious raw food dishes made with dates too.
August 22nd, 2013, 05:20 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Coconut Lara bars and I are good friends!
August 22nd, 2013, 05:28 AM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Dates are delicious! You need to eat like 6 of these a day to make this work, but no worries, they're pretty small. Something to do with them in a pinch - press a pecan into the side and roll in sugar. Yummy!

And btw, if I wasn't having a c-section, I'd be eating like 12 of these a day. Anything to shorten labor!
August 22nd, 2013, 06:08 AM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's a very small study group but hey it's worth a shot! Thanks for sharing.

August 22nd, 2013, 07:16 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I have never tried a date.

August 22nd, 2013, 07:27 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Dates are really yummy. I love them dried... mmmm.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
August 22nd, 2013, 09:51 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think I have had dates before. Maybe I will try them.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search