Baby Position Weirdness

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By jennyrae03
  • 2 Post By drewbears
  • 1 Post By Fortroseberry

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2013, 07:52 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At my appointment yesterday, I asked my doctor if she could help me learn how to feel where the baby is, and what body parts I am feeling.

She confirmed exactly what I had been thinking all along - this baby has been head down for weeks! And I mean LOTS OF WEEKS! He was head down at my 20 week appointment, and honestly I don't think he has ever turned upright this entire time.

She showed me how to feel for his back and butt, and they felt exactly like what I thought I was feeling before...which means I have been correct on my guesses prior to her showing me, yes? She also told me that because he is head down in that particular position, that she doesn't think he will move before birth, other than turning from side to side.

His head is dead center in my pelvis, and then he curves himself around so that his back is on one side of my uterus, and then his feet are facing the other side. He does spin himself around sometimes so that his back is on the opposite side. I imagine him in there pretending he is a break dancer doing a head spin.

Now I am paranoid that my baby is going to come out needing one of those special helmets because his head will be misshapen from always being in the same general location! *cross your fingers and pray for me please!*
sweety_pie, Anitha and MrsPea like this.
August 22nd, 2013, 08:24 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
LOL girl, babies head will be fine. Its normal for a baby to be head down the whole time, and even if they drop early, that doesn't make for a cone head either. And if by chance baby has a cone head.... it really does go away quickly.

Usually the cone head comes from when you are in labor and baby is engaged and the pushing part takes pretty long.

None of my kids have had cone heads, even a little. #6 and this baby are my only ones who have not been head down the whole time.
~Momma*2011~ and jamieshalon2 like this.

August 22nd, 2013, 08:26 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I totally agree with Jenn on this. Baby will be perfectly fine. I have had all my boys head down pretty much the whole time and they had perfect little round heads when they came out

Jamie age 37-Single mommy and loving life
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
August 22nd, 2013, 09:07 AM
JeCaLe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Both my boys were head down starting at around 20 weeks. DS2 was definitely buried in my pelvis too, and neither of them came out with cone heads.

August 22nd, 2013, 10:18 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
The cone head is from coming out. lol Baby's head is perfectly round right now. DD1 had a round head when she came out, and DD2 had a funky head when she did. The funk went away within hours.

3 on Earth and 7 in Heaven Hoping to get knocked up in 2016...sometimes.
http://arwenart.com
August 22nd, 2013, 10:22 AM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was worried about the same thing lol
August 22nd, 2013, 10:30 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds exactly like my little man!! Has been the same way for ages now and he usually goes back from side to side, but I always can tell its his bum up top and legs over on the side kinda! His head is right in the middle too!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

August 22nd, 2013, 11:00 AM
Fortroseberry's Avatar Veteran
That's what the hats are for Just kidding, before you know it, hours after birth they are already looking different, head included.
~Momma*2011~ likes this.

August 22nd, 2013, 11:10 AM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It always amazes me how their circulatory system is such that they never have the same effect being upside down as we do. It's just crazy to me!

Hopefully he stays head down! I'm sure his head in your nice round pelvis may be better than next to a rib or something... that would be awkward.

Jude was head down at my last appointment so I'm thinking it's his butt that has been jabbing me in the side for weeks now. Like seriously, I think my ribs are bruised..... my dang short waisted body.

August 22nd, 2013, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermother View Post
It always amazes me how their circulatory system is such that they never have the same effect being upside down as we do. It's just crazy to me!
I JUST said this to DH last night! I think it is so odd that if I were to stand on my head for even 5 minutes, all the blood would rush to my head and I would get a terrible headache and be dizzy. Babies are on their heads for weeks and weeks and it doesn't phase them!

And I'm glad to hear that I am worrying unnecessarily...can you tell I'm a little paranoid? haha
August 22nd, 2013, 04:00 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like he's in the perfect position to me! Good job momma!

August 23rd, 2013, 05:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ditto to everyone else- DS was and this baby has been head down pretty much the entire pregnancies. It's totally fine. The cone-head thing happens when they are coming out. DS had pretty bad cone head actually, he looked like a gnome when he had hats on, lol. It really does go away completely within a coupe of days though.
& Henry Joseph- born 10/15/13
8 lbs 10 oz and 22" long

August 23rd, 2013, 08:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Just means that you have nice and aligned hips, pelvis and uterus that facilitates him to be in the best position Ditto abt the cone head thing. That only happens when they are stuck in the birth canal for a long time during the pushing phase and even then it goes away pretty quickly

August 23rd, 2013, 08:46 AM
Oh, I just was worried about it because a family friend's son had to wear a helmet immediately after birth because while he was in the uterus, he never changed positions. He always stayed in the same spot ( don't think he even turned from side to side), and whatever his head was leaning up against caused him to have a misshapen head! I highly doubt that it happens very often, but I'm always freaked out that it will happen to my child!

I'll stop worrying now and be proud of my baby-bearing hips!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search