Considering Elective Induction?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2013, 08:09 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I know that this can be a very heated debatable subject and I am not looking for that. So I will start with saying.....

I am a firm believer that baby will come when baby and my body is ready. That even if you have an induction date and get started it doesn't always work if your body is not ready. And I know full well that an elective induction has a higher risk of a c-section.

So all that being said. IF BoJangles will get head down and stay head down I am seriously considering begging my doctors to do an elective induction on a date of my choice.

My reasons....

#1 reason.... I kind of need this planned so that I can be sure I have coverage for all my kids. I will have 5 kids spread over 3 different schools. 3 of the kids will be doing school sports at different locations. With the amount of children we have, you can't just fit them all in a regular car. Someone would have to use our 12 passenger van or have several people to get different kids from certain schools/locations and get them home. Not an easy thing to ask people. If I have a date planned, I can make sure my mother can be off for that day and the day after, we can use her car and she can keep our van and the kids will not miss school or their practices.

#2 reason.... they will not let me go past 39 weeks. 39 weeks exactly is October 5th which is Sophies birthday. She does not like little kids or babies. Is honestly afraid of babies. Messing with her birthday, having the baby born ON her birthday or me missing her birthday cuz im in the hospital would not be a good, and be very hard for her to cope with.

If I could pic, I would say bring me in for induction Sept 30th, its a monday. If they started it the night before, chances are the baby would come that monday. I would be home sometimes on tuesday, have DH home wednesday, thursday he would go back to work, I would get back to the routine of getting all the kids to and from, saturday would be Sophies birthday and soccer games. And we would be on track. The following weekend DH I will split, he will go with one kid to MD for an over night tournament, and I would stay here with the other kids and go to the more local tournament about 45 minutes from here on sat and sunday. baby would be almost a week old.

Of course that would all be in a perfect world if everything went as planned.

Baby could come early on its own, I could end up with a csec cuz baby doesn't filp, or they could make me wait till October 6/7th before inducing.

So what would you do?

August 22nd, 2013, 08:19 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I can totally understand all of your reasons for wanting to do an elective induction. It is really hard to try to plan for a baby coming when you have other kids at home. I also have 3 kids in 3 different schools. Thankfully they will all be getting off the bus at my grandma's house which they already do anyway. If my dh is at the hospital with me long then I will as either my brother or my aunt to come and help out with the kids until someone can get home to be with them.

I like the thought of an induction, but also at the same time this is my last baby and I kind of want her DD to be a surprise. I had inductions due to health reasons the last two times and although it was nice to know their arrival dates I also like the surprise too.

good luck in your decisions.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
August 22nd, 2013, 09:03 AM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
I'm planning one if baby boy doesn't come by 39 1/2 weeks & my body is ready. My husband works in Alaska & we live in PA. He works 2 weeks at a time & has off for two weeks. He will be home at 39 weeks on the nose & leave at 41 weeks on the nose. Well I guess it could give or take a day or two based on when his company books his flights. Anyway, I asked one of the midwives how far they let women go now & she said 1 week overdue which would be the day my husband is leaving. She saw the look on my face & asked me why & I explained it to her. She said they have induced before based on daddy's work schedule & as long as my body is ready (ready being key), she would have no problem inducing after 39 weeks. Everything is still a crap shoot but I'm hoping this baby doesn't mind schedules! I had a great experience with my first which was a medically necessary induction. But reading how people are soooo against inductions has scared me into not wanting a second. That being said, if that is the only way to ensure DH is here, that's what we'll do. Hope body & baby cooperates ! DH does qualify for FMLA but after being laid off for 3 months over the summer, we are still playing catch up so losing any money at this time, especially with me taking 3 months off is not feasible. Not to mention if we have to book a same day flight from Alaska & have to pay for it ourselves, I'm guessing it will be $2000-$3000....no thanks!
August 22nd, 2013, 09:06 AM
Heidijens1's Avatar Super Mommy
I have had an induction with all my other kids. But this time unless there is absolute proof that I need one there is no way I am going to even though it would be much easier with figuring out child care and our schedules
My 1st birth I had major problems with, that I now know is linked to being induced. My 4th was induced just a few days early and had to be forced to start breathing on his own, I strongly feel that If I would have just let be and let him bake till his dd or beyond he would have been fine. I'm sure you already know all the risks so I won't post them here.
Also Most hospitals are starting to refuse to do an elective induction untill 39 weeks and the hospital here is starting to push 40 weeks, So there is a chance your hospital won't let you be induced before you are 39 weeks.
August 22nd, 2013, 09:06 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I had an elective induction 4 days early last time. Loved my experience, like to be able to plan.

If I had that many children, I would probably want a plan. I was induced with my first 2 so I kind of want to see how it goes not doing it this time. Never had the experience, and this is the last time. I do hate pregnancy, though. I may decide otherwise. I was trying to convince my doctor to get this kid out in 2 weeks yesterday. I am exhausted not being able to sleep.

Anyway, if I had a schedule like yours, I'd want a plan. As it is, I have one kid in school and an ankle biter. Not really a big deal. You sound like you have a better reason than mine for it, impatience! lol

Adding: We have the 39 week law here for elective as well. So only a week early unless something is wrong.

Last edited by Spyctre; August 22nd, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
August 22nd, 2013, 09:25 AM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think in your situation I'd totally do the induction. Plus, aren't your kinda medically warranted to ask for that? I think as long as you get past 38 weeks and have some sort of medical reason (as small as it might be) I'd totally do it.

Plus, the situation with all the kids and stuff... I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask.

For me, I don't want to be induced unless I'm late. I like the thought of it being a surprise especially since we already announce the gender and name. I like to have something surprising at the end. BUT this is the first time I will have a kid in school so it will be interesting. My mom will probably be here about a week before (Oct 12) and I'm *hoping* he won't make us wait too long. I'd rather not have anyone else involved in watching the kids minus maybe a couple hours at the end of my labor. We'll see how that goes though. Last time we just had MIL take Chloe for the day from about 7am-4pm... which was fine... but lately she's been a little preoccupied and I'm not sure asking her to help with this would be a good idea... might be more stressful than I'm willing to handle.

August 22nd, 2013, 09:56 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had two elective inductions. This time I am forced to have an induction for the blood thinners. I think inductions are great. My experience has been that for me, they are easy. My labors were 5 and 6 hours with 5 minutes of pushing. If baby flips, I would just go ahead and plan the induction.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
August 22nd, 2013, 09:59 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I believe they do them at 39 weeks here too.

I'd book one for 39 weeks. I totally see the advantage to being able to plan. I'm a little jealous of planned inductions and csections, just because it would be nice to have plans for my other 2 kids.
August 22nd, 2013, 10:20 AM
Fortroseberry's Avatar Veteran
I would ask. Your Dr. will let you know yes or no. Even if it's not on the exact date you want, to have a date planned out, would help out immensely! I hear ya on planning where everyone is going, and I only have 4!

August 22nd, 2013, 10:56 AM
JeCaLe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Both of my previous have been inductions. The first at 37w1d due to pre-E and the second at 39w5d because my OB really didn't want me going over 40 with other risk factors. This time around we haven't specifically talked about it, but I believe she is wanting to induce at 39 weeks (which is when the hospital allows for elective inductions), as long as I am at least a fingertip dilated. Both inductions went smoothly and I responded so well to them she is worried about how fast I will progress if things happen at home.

I think it really is between you and your OB, regardless of how many people get so heated about it. It really bugs me that people feel they need to bash others for a decision that you and your doctor make (which is different than a doctor forcing something, imo).

August 22nd, 2013, 12:04 PM
"Shay-see"
It's your business and this isn't the sort of thing people have a right to be affronted about, IMO. Yes, it's better to let the LO come out on their own, but your personal autonomy is also a big factor here since you and baby are sharing the same space-time coordinates (sorry nerd moment there) and your needs are important too.

If you can't or seriously don't want to keep him in past a certain time, imho that's your decision to make and people are always going to have an opinion, right?, but this is one of those times where they need to just stuff it. It's not their womb/life/etc. - they can make their own choices how they please.

I don't think it's worth heavy speculation, though, until you get the allowable parameters from your Doc. My practice won't touch me until 39w exactly (after which point they're pretty gung-ho to get him out of there since he's got a high likelihood of being a troublesome delivery). I was interested in a 9/27 birthdate for him which would have been 38&6 and their response was "nope, sorry; too early".

Your sitch might be different since you've got a different practice and some high-risk factors (iirc), but until you know that having them induce at 38 is an option for you, it's not worth really fretting over whether that's something you should do, you know?

See what's available and then make the choice that feels right based on what you know. You don't really need validation from people who are living different lives than you are, do you? This is your life and you and your family are the ones who have to live with the results of these choices, so optimizing them for your situation is the best you can do regardless of what anyone not-affected thinks.

Last edited by Seasaidh; August 22nd, 2013 at 12:07 PM.
August 22nd, 2013, 03:34 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a medically-indicated induction last time and will again this time. I wish I could let him come naturally, but it is also great to have some certainty. With the number of kids you have I understand wanting to plan.
August 22nd, 2013, 07:42 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think you know your body & your baby best. You understand the potential risks, so at the end of the day it's between you & your Dr, no one else

Quote:
Also Most hospitals are starting to refuse to do an elective induction untill 39 weeks and the hospital here is starting to push 40 weeks, So there is a chance your hospital won't let you be induced before you are 39 weeks.
I had heard that this was pretty much common practice these days for fear of litigation.
My last baby was my first induction, but I was extremely ill & had been contracting for 48 hours whilst also in shock. Not an experience I would ever like to repeat
I was 39 1/2 weeks (which is when most of my babies have come on their own,) & the induction went exceptionally well. Gel in, full blown contractions 10 minutes later, baby born 5 hours later.
I am really hoping that this baby will come on their own this time, but if intervention is needed, I don't fear it.

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
August 22nd, 2013, 11:39 PM
Druslady96's Avatar Veteran
I was induced with DD and will be with this one as well, unless he decides to come early of course. Dr. said 39 week and/or my cervix was at least mostly ready. With the traffic here and the fact that I have to cross the bridge to get to my delivery hospital, I'm terrified of being in labor trying to travel to the hospital. My anxiety will be off the charts. We shall see what happens.

August 23rd, 2013, 03:22 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think in your case I would want to be induced as well, makes it easier for planning. I was induced both times so far though so I only know planned and spontaneous labour kinda freaks me out!! haha I was 41 weeks 3 days and 41 weeks 1 day when induced with both of mine though, they won't induce here until I'm AT LEAST 8 days overdue!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

August 23rd, 2013, 04:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasaidh View Post
It's your business and this isn't the sort of thing people have a right to be affronted about, IMO. Yes, it's better to let the LO come out on their own, but your personal autonomy is also a big factor here since you and baby are sharing the same space-time coordinates (sorry nerd moment there) and your needs are important too.

If you can't or seriously don't want to keep him in past a certain time, imho that's your decision to make and people are always going to have an opinion, right?, but this is one of those times where they need to just stuff it. It's not their womb/life/etc. - they can make their own choices how they please.
This is what I was thinking. No one has the right (besides your Doc) to tell you what you should or should not do with your body and your baby. You do what's right for you. In your situation I think I would be wanting one as well.
& Henry Joseph- born 10/15/13
8 lbs 10 oz and 22" long

August 23rd, 2013, 06:33 AM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a strong opinion against elective inductions and c-sections, but clearly no one even wants to hear it.

Have you ladies seen last weeks study linking induction to higher risks of Autism?
Induced labor linked to higher autism risk

August 23rd, 2013, 06:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I do not know what I would do if I were in your shoes. Honestly you have a right to make any choice - its your body and your baby! I am not for induction without having a medical need. But i am also a never-say-never person, since I have wised up enough to realize that in pregnancy & childbirth, pretty much anything can happen and things are seldom in our control although we would like to feel like we decided everything! So yes, ask your doctors and I hope everything works out for the best for you.

August 23rd, 2013, 07:03 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPea View Post
I have a strong opinion against elective inductions and c-sections, but clearly no one even wants to hear it.

Have you ladies seen last weeks study linking induction to higher risks of Autism?
Induced labor linked to higher autism risk
Having several babies who were induced and even having water break and then needing pit I'm not too worried about that.

My biggest worry is if my body isn't ready it won't work anyway so could be a lot of pain for nothing.

And still if baby doesn't go to head down and stay, no induction will be needed.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search