What to do...

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JeCaLe

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2013, 01:29 PM
CountryMedic911's Avatar Kerana mama to be in 2013
How do you feel about where you will deliver? Personally I hate the hospital I'm going to but it's the only place my OB has privileges. What would you do?

Thank you Jaidynsmum for the awesome siggy!
August 24th, 2013, 01:44 PM
allysmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have moved over an hour away from my hospital, but I refuse to change Dr's or hospitals at this point. If your comfortable with your Dr., then i'd say stay with that hospital, if you don't care for either, maybe you could switch, but it'd be hard this late in the game, I would think. Tough decision for sure!

August 24th, 2013, 02:45 PM
JeCaLe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Will you for sure get your doctor? Or is there a chance that you will be a hospital that you hate with a doctor that you hate.

IMO, and I know a lot don't necessarily agree, I care more about the nurses than I do who the OB delivers me. They were my advocate and the ones who did just about everything.

DS#1 I delivered at a big university hospital, my doctor was on vacation so I was seen by the department head. Him and his crew (of about 5) barely made it and the chief resident and none of them even had gloves on they were rushing so fast to get in there. Even when we were having issues and they were talking CS, I barely saw the doctor, just the nurse, but I loved her. Once I switched over to PP care I hate the nurses there and didn't care for it.

With DS#2, we had moved a little south and switched hospitals and OBs. My OB was much more hands on and personalized in her care, but its still the nurses who I saw all the time. My OB delivered me and that was nice, but she was in the room all of twice (I went in at 8pm for an induction and delivered shortly after she arrived in the morning at 8am). According to the nurses she called every 30 mins to check on me though. At this hospital though we have all inclusive rooms, so delivery, labor, and pp are all in the same room, and used the same nursing staff, so my l and d nurse was also my pp nurse and I loved that.

This time around I will be at the same hospital as last time and I am looking forward to that. I love my OB, but if she isn't the one to deliver me, I won't really care.
slmehaffey likes this.

August 24th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My hospital sucks too, but I kind of feel stuck in a way at this point. It's the only one around here where my doctor delivers, plus choosing another one would mean a much longer drive, which isn't exactly enticing since the ride home after a c-section is brutal.

What makes you hate this particular hospital?
August 24th, 2013, 06:25 PM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Thankfully our hospital is really great. The nurses are awesome and the facility itself is great.

I dont too much care which doctor delivers me cuz its really the nurses that do the most work and are there during the whole thing.

I am sure there might be some that say well try a home birth, but that isn't always an option or an answer.

What do you not like about the hospital?

August 24th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Leah
Hmmm, that's tough. Have you had any experience with the nurses there? I really liked the nurses at mine when I was on the floor for fluids. I recently toured and had the hospital childbirth class and I'm liking what I hear. There is a chance though, that I'd be delivered by a doctor I'm not a fan of, but he's one of 6 practitioners so.... Have you been able to tour the hospital? Sometimes the environment in L&D can be quite different from elsewhere.

Oh doh, I'm realizing/guessing you know about the hospital from your work. What about a doula?

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
August 24th, 2013, 08:30 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
Military hospital, but its actually the nicest one I've seen. Problem is it's so far that I have only been there once and will only go there one more time if I'm lucky before baby comes. I have no idea who will deliver me and no clue about the nurses, but that's what I get for being lazy and not wanting to switch providers
August 24th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
I actually like my hospital lots its why I am traveling farther then I need to to go to that one lol
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 10mo 10/10/13

August 25th, 2013, 12:38 AM
CountryMedic911's Avatar Kerana mama to be in 2013
I have brought patients to this hospital and have seen them treated very badly, I have done clinicals there as well and it's a pretty gross place. The hospital itself is over 45 min away from my house. Home birth is out of the question, my mom is my only way and she sometimes can't drive. And no I'm not calling an ambulance to take me. I have no guarantee that I will have my OB deliver either

Thank you Jaidynsmum for the awesome siggy!
August 25th, 2013, 03:12 AM
Julie
I would swoitch if you can. I'm moving to a house that's only three minutes from a hospital, but unfortunately I can't find any doctors in my insurance that will deliver there. so if I move before I deliver I will have a thirty minute drive. It sounds like an awful hospital, and it's far. Let us know what you decide.

August 25th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm delivering at a huge university medical center so I don't know how I will like it yet. I delivered DS at a tiny community hospital. The nice thing about being here is it has a top of the line NICU and anything you could ever ask for in case of emergency but it seems like it might be kind of impersonal. I don't really care how often my OB shows up, I just hope the nurses are nice. They do most of the work anyway.
& Henry Joseph- born 10/15/13
8 lbs 10 oz and 22" long

August 25th, 2013, 06:28 AM
east to west coast's Avatar ~Melissa~
I think as long as you're guaranteed to get the dr. you want, I would stick with your original plan. You most likely won't be in the hospital all that long.

I'm planning to have a home birth, so I feel really good about where I'll deliver. But, if I end up having to transfer to the hospital again, I'm perfectly fine with that. The closest hospital is 8 min. from our house and is a little country hospital. They have their own organic garden and cook their own food, and are 100% committed to helping women have natural, drug-free labors and births. They have LC's that come around to every mom at least a couple times while you're a patient to make sure bf'ing is going well. I had a really great experience there when I had my daughter.

Thank you, MommaDucks, for my lovely siggy
August 25th, 2013, 06:53 AM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the nurses are more important than the doctors, but that the doctor may or may not actually stand up for what you've talked about in your appointments. If you feel you have no other options then I'd start bringing goodies to the nurses every week... if you were to bring them say cookies or brownies every week until you deliver at this point it would help them remember you and if they remember you and like you for all the sweetness you've offered them they may also see you more as a person than a patient and be a better advocate for you.
Another option you have if you feel like you don't want to or can't switch providers at this point is to get a doula... even the worst hospitals can become great birthing places when you have someone who isn't in labor helping to remind you of your birth plan and keeping you comfortable in a place you ordinarily wouldn't feel comfortable in.
I'm birthing at home and feel TOTALLY comfortable with it. I love the idea of having my baby and not moving from the place I'm comfortable in, having my own laundry incase whatever I choose to wear after having the baby isn't as comfortable as I imagined it to be, and resting in my own bed!

August 25th, 2013, 07:21 AM
allysmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love the hospital I deliver at and the nurses are phenominal!! Plus, the maternity unit is brand new since my last delivery, which will make it even better. It's quite a drive, but worth it to get the care I want.

August 26th, 2013, 07:23 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
we have a big university hosp here too and although it may be great for serious illness, I have heard horrible things about their maternity. I have always gone to a smaller privately owned hosp in this area. So far I have loved the experience with this hosp. I can have one of four docs this time and to be honest I have never had the same doc deliver any of mine, lol. I have had 3 different docs. I really didn't care though. I don't see the actual doc much, it is mostly the nurses that you see. By the time the doc comes in I am in so much pain and ready to push that I couldn't care less who is performing the actual delivery, lol.

I think if you really do hate that hosp then maybe a switch would be good for you. I know that would be so hard at this point though.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search