Alcohol Breast Milk Test Strips??

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2013, 06:50 PM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I guess its been awhile, cuz I had never heard of them before.

I can see for an occasional drink here or there.... but would someone need to use these on a regular basis?

I know if you are gonna drink and you are nursing you have to pump and dump for so many hours, and I guess the test strips would make it a good thing to be sure.

I cant help but wonder how many rely on and use these way too often. I guess I am picturing nursing moms passed out after having too much to drink or something?? LOL

August 25th, 2013, 11:10 AM
allysmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
lol!! I def need to check into this...not so I can pass out, but b/c I told everyone I want a drink asap after baby is born!!! lol how funny!!

August 25th, 2013, 11:15 AM
CountryMedic911's Avatar Kerana mama to be in 2013
Hmm that's kinda cool! Well not the drinking to passing out part but the occasional drink.

August 25th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Leah
I saw those too. It definitely plays on that concern of how long is long enough. I've joked that I expect SO to smuggle me sushi and a beer (a nice IPA, or maybe some Fat Tire) as soon as I'm done giving birth, so maybe I should consider them. Heck, one strong craft beer might be enough to put me under the table after not drinking for so long.
allysmomma and soul_donut like this.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
August 25th, 2013, 12:10 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
I thought it was like one per hour and you were safe and no real reason to pump and dump? I plan on asking my doctor next appointment because my 21 st will be soon after baby is born and I do plan on celebrating it correctly
August 25th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Proud mommy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveStorm2011 View Post
I thought it was like one per hour and you were safe and no real reason to pump and dump? I plan on asking my doctor next appointment because my 21 st will be soon after baby is born and I do plan on celebrating it correctly
This is what I was told, and read about when I was breastfeeding with DD.

August 25th, 2013, 02:17 PM
happywife's Avatar Super Mommy
I was told one drink every 8 hours when your breastfeeding, but that was also when I was nursing my oldest DD - 15 years ago. I am only a very social drinker, and I love wine. But I am ready to have a nice relaxing night out with my DH, especially after being on bed rest for so long.

BTW, have any of ya'll tried Redd's Apple Ale? I took a sip of DH's and I CAN'T WAIT until I can have my own! I'm not a beer drinker at all, but this stuff is not short of AMAZING!
allysmomma likes this.

Married to my bestfriend Graham and proud mommy to Codi - 15, Kevin - 13, DJ - 11, Mylyn & McKynlee - 3 & Graham Jr. ~born on Earth, living in Heaven ~ May 9, 2012
August 25th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by happywife View Post
BTW, have any of ya'll tried Redd's Apple Ale? I took a sip of DH's and I CAN'T WAIT until I can have my own! I'm not a beer drinker at all, but this stuff is not short of AMAZING!
I may see if I can get it in MO, but sounds delish!!

August 25th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Leah
If you like the Apple Ale, I'm guessing you may also like a Framboise (raspberry) or ciders like Woodchuck or Magners. I haven't had the Apple Ale, but I'm guessing based on the name. There's all sorts of flavored beers out there that are so good. (Beer is kinda like my wine: I like finding different ones to complement meals and such. I'm a tad bit a beer snob.)
allysmomma and SierraWinter like this.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
August 25th, 2013, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't call myself a beer snob, but I'm not your average beer drinker, like bud, bud light, or miller type of beer drinker, I like the ale's and diff flavored stuff too!! Actually prefer the unique stuff over the ordinary!!! lol
QL1516 likes this.

August 25th, 2013, 03:22 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by QL1516 View Post
If you like the Apple Ale, I'm guessing you may also like a Framboise (raspberry) or ciders like Woodchuck or Magners. I haven't had the Apple Ale, but I'm guessing based on the name. There's all sorts of flavored beers out there that are so good. (Beer is kinda like my wine: I like finding different ones to complement meals and such. I'm a tad bit a beer snob.)
I love Lindermans Framboise. In the little ranching community of Elko Nv you can get it on tap, delicious!!

This thread is making me crave a cold beer
allysmomma and QL1516 like this.

Last edited by SierraWinter; August 25th, 2013 at 03:25 PM.
August 25th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Now I want a drink! lol I was told your breast milk filters like blood. After an hour you are good to go. I was also told what you feel baby feels. So if you don't feel drunk, your baby is safe, too. I've never been drunk, and I never bothered to test my milk or even wait. Just fed them like normal. Never seemed sleepier or different than normal.
allysmomma likes this.
August 25th, 2013, 04:43 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Judgy judgy! I think they could be practical for people that don't necessarily know their alcohol tolerance or for someone that is very cautious. Not everybody metabolizes alcohol the same way, so one drink for Sally may be like 3 for Jane. Besides, after 9 months of abstaining, one might be enough anyway! Heck, I feel kinda drunk and all I did was get up off the sofa.
sweety_pie, QL1516 and jennyrae03 like this.
August 25th, 2013, 07:05 PM
east to west coast's Avatar ~Melissa~
This is a great reference:

http://www.beststart.org/resources/a...eskref_eng.pdf

Thank you, MommaDucks, for my lovely siggy
August 25th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would be curious to try those, just to test whether it really is safe for me after an hour. My doctor did say with my daughter that you don't need to pump and dump, you just need to wait until your body processes the alcohol. So, when you no longer have any in your system, your milk won't either. And, drinking while pregnant is worse than drinking while breastfeeding because the fetus is directly exposed to your blood and will have the same BAC as you, but they are only drinking your breast milk which will have a much lower concentration, or something scientific like that.
Spyctre likes this.
August 26th, 2013, 04:59 AM
Julie
No need to pump and dump unless you are away from baby and drinking alot, for instance overnight.You need to pump to keep up supply and also to releive swelling, but if you are drunk or tipsy when you pump ypu will have to dump it. If you plan on having two, for example, and are home with the baby, start drinking the first while still bfing or right after. then have your second and two hours after you started drinking you can feed baby again safely. I think it's pretty easy and doesn't require those test strips. if you are feeling tipsy, you shouldn't breastfeed.

August 26th, 2013, 05:29 AM
CountryMedic911's Avatar Kerana mama to be in 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by happywife View Post
DH and my dad both drink it and I have wanted to try it for the longest! I plan on trying one after Jacob is a few weeks old.

August 26th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just want to say I cannot WAIT to have a nice, craft, fall beer as soon as possible.

I have heard of those test strips but wouldn't buy any. As far as I have read/researched, it takes a couple of hours per drink to get it out of your system. There is NO need to pump and dump, and in fact it wouldn't help anyway if you drank a lot because it just recirculates through your blood and therefore your milk. It metabolizes at the same rate whether or not you pump. So if you wait a couple of hours and/or you don't feel any effects of the drink, you are safe. Only a small percentage gets to the baby, and I do believe it is true that it largely depends on how you feel. If you aren't feeling sleepy/sloppy/whatever, your baby won't either.
& Henry Joseph- born 10/15/13
8 lbs 10 oz and 22" long

August 26th, 2013, 10:53 AM
east to west coast's Avatar ~Melissa~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee319 View Post
I just want to say I cannot WAIT to have a nice, craft, fall beer as soon as possible.

I have heard of those test strips but wouldn't buy any. As far as I have read/researched, it takes a couple of hours per drink to get it out of your system. There is NO need to pump and dump, and in fact it wouldn't help anyway if you drank a lot because it just recirculates through your blood and therefore your milk. It metabolizes at the same rate whether or not you pump. So if you wait a couple of hours and/or you don't feel any effects of the drink, you are safe. Only a small percentage gets to the baby, and I do believe it is true that it largely depends on how you feel. If you aren't feeling sleepy/sloppy/whatever, your baby won't either.
Agree with all of the above! Especially, the fact that I also cannot wait to have a good beer!!!!

Thank you, MommaDucks, for my lovely siggy
August 26th, 2013, 11:06 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would considering buying those if I end up breastfeeding, because I wouldn't mind a cooler or something once in a while and I'm the type that would worry over ONE sip affecting my milk so it would help make it less stressful for me!
SierraWinter likes this.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}

Forever missing my Mom...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search