Low vs. Engaged & Breech symptoms?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By drewbears
  • 1 Post By QL1516

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 25th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Leah
The term engaged is tossed around a lot and I understand that means the baby is in position to go. But is there a way to tell yourself at home the difference between engaged and really low? Even anecdotal stuff? This kid is moving something crazy low, a good 5 inches+ below my hipbones, so I started wondering.

For the BTDT breech mamas, are there any indicators? I assumed that from the way he was at our uh ultrasound and the way he seemed to move into this position, he kinda took a little to get feet up. But SO was wondering if because I was feeling so much so low, even pain with the movement, if I wasn't feeling his feet instead. I guess he could be folded up still, but I dunno.

My next appointment isn't til September 9, so I'm curious about what I can try to figure out and see if I'm right.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
August 25th, 2013, 10:23 PM
"Shay-see"
No really helpful information but did you see that belly mapping thread? It was either here or in SeptDDC.

I don't know if it would be helpful or relevant, but I figured I'd at least mention it.

August 26th, 2013, 04:45 AM
Julie
It's possible the baby's hhand is up by his face, so if his head is engaged you could be feeling the hand moving right? Or the head moving could feel like an arm or something.

August 26th, 2013, 06:17 AM
east to west coast's Avatar ~Melissa~
The only way that I'm really able to tell where the head is is by hiccups. My midwives have explained to me that when they palpate my belly, they can tell the difference between the bum and the head because the head will "bobble" a bit. But, it always makes me nervous to try to really get my hands in there like they do to feel around. The same goes for low vs. engaged when the baby is head down--my midwives really dig deep when they're in my pelvis area to feel how low the baby's head is. I know personally when my daughter's head started to descend further down into my pelvis I noticed it because I started to feel a lot of pressure when I walked and stood for long periods of time.

Thank you, MommaDucks, for my lovely siggy
August 26th, 2013, 06:54 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
If you push on your belly can you find a firm rounded part... most likely up by your ribs?

If you press it does it stay firm and move as one? Or does it bobble back and forth kinda?

If its firm and moves as one thats likely the butt and back. If it bobbles back and forth that is likely the head.

For me my #6 breech baby was butt first, and I felt hiccups in my ribs, and I could press and feel her head bobble up high. Maybe not the best way to explain it... but thats the only way I can think of.

Now this one has been liking to be feet down. All the movements I feel are literally ON my cervix or bladder, like stomping. There is no way a head or hands could feel like that. BUT when baby has been head down, the stomping is either up higher above my belly button or just right out front of my belly. My other kids I could put my hand on my belly and feel movements a lot, this one, not so much cuz the kicks have been way down where you can't feel it on the outside so much.
slmehaffey likes this.

August 26th, 2013, 06:55 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doctor showed me how to feel for the baby, and said it's not hurting him any to press into my uterus to find him. I always feel hiccups really low in my pelvis, so she started there. She put fingers on each hip bone, applied pressure and worked her way over towards my pubic bone. She had me feel where her fingers were, and sure enough, you can feel a distinct difference between the rest of my uterus and where the baby's head is. Maybe you should give it a shot? Also, while my baby is really low in my pelvis, she did tell me that he was not engaged yet (of course I wasn't expecting him to be), and he just likes to hang out down there!
August 26th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Leah
Quote:
No really helpful information but did you see that belly mapping thread? It was either here or in SeptDDC
I didn't, but I'll definitely look for it.

Quote:
It's possible the baby's hhand is up by his face, so if his head is engaged you could be feeling the hand moving right? Or the head moving could feel like an arm or something.
Some of the moves are definitely head-like; his feet were by his face a few weeks ago, but it definitely could be either. Hopefully it's hands.

Quote:
I know personally when my daughter's head started to descend further down into my pelvis I noticed it because I started to feel a lot of pressure when I walked and stood for long periods of time.
Oh yeah. Definitely pressure low. Usually I'd feel discomfort towards the end of the day as I got tired, but that's an all day thing now. The movement I was getting in my belly, is now in my pelvis area.

I need an emoticon for a baby ninja attacking a bladder....
mizza411 likes this.

August 26th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Leah
Quote:
If you push on your belly can you find a firm rounded part... most likely up by your ribs?
I'm pretty sure I can feel a bum around my belly button/rib area. It seems that way, and I think I can follow the line of his back. So I'm thinking I am feeling head and either hands or feet low.

Quote:
Also, while my baby is really low in my pelvis, she did tell me that he was not engaged yet (of course I wasn't expecting him to be), and he just likes to hang out down there!
Good to know. I hope this lil booger didn't get any ideas from his grandmother saying she thinks he'llbe here in September. He has been transverse this entire time, so it's quite a change of pace for me. But it sure is easier to breathe.

August 26th, 2013, 07:25 AM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
if you are able to find the head and put your thumb on one side and your fingers on the other side you should be able to get it to bobble a bit, this is how my midwife finds it, last appointment he/she was head up but I'm positive we are head down now.
Also, if the head is engaged the only way to tell is by reaching up inside yourself and finding your cervix and feeling for a head.
With my other kids they stayed high up until I was in labor. In fact with my daughter when I found her head I could actually find the top of her head and push her up if I wanted to, she wasn't even below my pubic bones! This time I can find babies head and it is really low but I can't get close to finding the top of it's head.
the best way to locate the head of your baby is to find it's back (the most firm part of your tummy, not hard to find so long as baby is not facing straight forward) and then walk your fingers firmly up and down the back till you find the end and then try squeezing the butt or head depending on what you find and wiggling back and forth, heads bobble and are about the size of a softball (a bit bigger now) and butts are connected to backs and legs and are a bit thicker and don't bobble like heads.

August 26th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so bad at this. I feel lots of movement all over, but I have no idea what is what body part. I know his head is really low from the ultrasound, but even knowing where the head is I can't figure out anything else.
August 26th, 2013, 10:22 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wren View Post
I am so bad at this. I feel lots of movement all over, but I have no idea what is what body part. I know his head is really low from the ultrasound, but even knowing where the head is I can't figure out anything else.
I think someone mentioned earlier that you can feel the back by finding the firmest part of your stomach - my little guy always has his back on one side of my stomach or the other, and I have never noticed him with his hands/feet towards the front, so he's pretty easy to identify now that I know what I'm looking for.

I can always feel a long, firm body part, which is his back, and then at the end of it is a somewhat less firm, rounded spot, which is his butt. If you press down and it feels pretty empty and squishy, that is mostly likely where feet/hands are at.
August 27th, 2013, 07:00 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
at my scan yesterday they told me baby was butt down now and pointed to where the head and feet were..... I have had the little stomping by my one hip and pushing out right above my belly button to the middle of my ribs kinda... which before I went for my appointment figured was what it was.

Stinker!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search