Birth Plan?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2013, 08:45 AM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Any of you type up a birth plan for taking to the hospital? One of my SIL got me thinking about it. There is a template for one on my iPad app I might use to get it started. Not totally sure what info to include since I don't know what to expect during delivery? My SIL said she likes important pieces of info written down for the nurses, in case she's in hard labor when she gets to the hospital and really can't speak for herself.

I was thinking of including:
Medications I'm on
Meds I'm allergic to
How I feel about epidurals
I want to try different positions that I feel are most comfortable for laboring
Does hospital have portable monitors that can be used so that I can walk around while laboring?
Delayed cord clamping
Nursing staff and doctors are not to give my MIL healthcare info about myself or baby
I want DH and only DH allowed in room (other than hospital staff)
Cleaning solutions can't be used in room while I'm present due to asthma
If I have to have a csection I would like DH with me (if they allow)
I want skin to skin contact with baby as soon as possible after birth
We are breast feeding, I would ask that nursing staff do not introduce a bottle.
I want a lactation consultant
Visitors are only allowed after myself and DH give the ok (after we've had relaxing bonding time).

For those of you that do birth plans, what do you include?

Last edited by SierraWinter; August 26th, 2013 at 09:54 AM.
August 26th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Julie
You might want to just tell the staff a lot of those things at the time, for instance they may come into the room like a day after birth to ask if you want them to clean the bathroom floor, at which point you can say no. After the baby is born and they take him for a bath and stuff they will usually ask you if you are ebf, but if not at that time you can make sure to tell them no bottle, and they usually have a sign they put on the bassinet stating "I'm breastfed, no bottle" or something to that effect. They will be happier and give you less of a problem about it if you agree to have the baby room in with you, giving him to staff only for shots or blood testing. Otherwise, they've got a crying baby in the nursery, yet aren't allowed to give the baby a bottle or maybe a binky to soothe him. And you'll want to breastfeed baby right away, instead of letting him get all worked up in the nursery and then havinghim wait while the nurses find time to bring him to you. I guess what I'm suggesting is you note that you want the baby to stay with you most of the time. You're plan is good, very concise.
SierraWinter and Seasaidh like this.

August 26th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
Actually, this is a good idea, simply because you just don't know how much pain you'll be in when you arrive, and your doctor may not be there at the time. There are so many what ifs that there's a lot you could forget you want to mention, and I know I wouldn't want to be answering a bunch of medical questions between contractions!
SierraWinter likes this.
August 26th, 2013, 09:52 AM
I didn't know hospitals still did nurseries, yikes. Yes, we want baby in the room with me. I'll definitely include that!
Irshtripletsmommy likes this.
August 26th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah a lot of that stuff the nurses will come right out and ask you, they won't just assume (or I would hope not). Mine asked me whether I wanted to BF, whether I wanted DS to room with me, etc. And I highly doubt they will let visitors in without asking you. But I guess every hospital is different and it's a good idea to write it all down just in case.

Was just thinking about this this morning- I'm not sure I will have a typed up birth plan per-say, since I just want the baby out safely. I am open to pain meds, etc. But I do want to have written/recorded somewhere that we do NOT know the sex of the baby (whether or not it's in my chart, IDK) and I want DH to be the one to announce it when s/he's born. I am delivering at a huge hospital and I'm sure I will have lots of different nurses and possibly different OB's coming and going so I need them all to be aware so none of them blabs, lol.
& Henry Joseph- born 10/15/13
8 lbs 10 oz and 22" long

August 26th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee319 View Post
But I do want to have written/recorded somewhere that we do NOT know the sex of the baby (whether or not it's in my chart, IDK) and I want DH to be the one to announce it when s/he's born. I am delivering at a huge hospital and I'm sure I will have lots of different nurses and possibly different OB's coming and going so I need them all to be aware so none of them blabs, lol.
That's one of the listed suggestions the app mentioned if your on team green. Since we're team pink I would have never thought of this
August 26th, 2013, 10:09 AM
east to west coast's Avatar ~Melissa~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee319 View Post
But I do want to have written/recorded somewhere that we do NOT know the sex of the baby (whether or not it's in my chart, IDK) and I want DH to be the one to announce it when s/he's born. I am delivering at a huge hospital and I'm sure I will have lots of different nurses and possibly different OB's coming and going so I need them all to be aware so none of them blabs, lol.
We planned a home birth last time and ended up having to transfer to the hospital because my labor stalled out. I was so glad I had this written in my birth plan because we were also team green, and it was so amazing to have my DH be able to announce the sex. I'm hoping I saved my birth plan, because I'll just print it out and use it again. From what I remember, we also included that I....

1. did not want to be offered pain meds
2. did not wish to have internal fetal monitoring unless medically necessary
3. wanted to tear vs. have an episiotomy unless the episiotomy was medically necessary
4. did not want the baby to have a vitamin K shot, eye goop, or any immunizations after birth

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. The hospital that I delivered at doesn't have a nursery, so there was no need to mention anything about wanting the baby to be with me at all times.

Thank you, MommaDucks, for my lovely siggy
August 26th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Heidijens1's Avatar Super Mommy
! I plan on using pretty much the same one as my last 2 births, My Dr is great and has worked very well with me in following this plan. I also have taken A LOT of time coming up with and changing/ working it out after each birth. If you have any questions as to why I have something in it you can ask.
Birth Preferences – Heidi
Due Date: 09/30/2013
Patient of
Scheduled to deliver at
To my birth attendants,
I am looking forward to sharing our birth experience with you. I am excited about the birth of our 5th baby and based on my previous birth experiences and research I have decided that I want to give birth naturally with little or no interventions. I would like all staff to discuss all procedures with my husband, Jeremy and myself before they are performed. I would like to see my chart and the baby's chart. My support person will be my husband, Jeremy Jensen and I ask that any other person asking to see me be told that they will have to wait until after the birth.
Sincerely,
Heidi Jensen
LABOR
I would like to be free to walk around during labor.
I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor.
I would like to be able to have fluids and light foods by mouth throughout the first stage of labor.
I would like the environment to be kept as quiet as possible.
I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum.
I do not want an IV unless I become dehydrated.
I would like people to respect my privacy by knocking before entering the room.
No artificial rupturing of membranes without first explaining why and getting my permission.
MONITORING
I do not wish to have continuous fetal monitoring unless it is required by the condition of the baby.
LABOR AUGMENTATION/INDUCTION
I would prefer to try cervidil or prostaglandin gel to induce labor before Pitocin is used.
Before augmentation I would like to try the following natural methods to progress labor.
Relaxation, walking,
If augmentation is necessary, I prefer the following methods.
Amniotomy
PAIN RELIEF
I would like to give birth naturally without medication and will use the following methods
I would like to use a shower for pain relief.
Relaxation and deep breathing without any coaching.
I realize that many pain medications exist I'll ask for them if I need them, please do not ask me if I need them.
EPISIOTOMY
I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless absolutely required for the baby's safety.
I would like a local anesthetic to repair a tear or an episiotomy.
DELIVERY
I would like to be allowed to choose the position in which I give birth, including squatting.
I would like a mirror available so I can see the baby's head when it crowns.
I would like the chance to touch the baby's head when it crowns.
Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming the baby is not in distress, I would like to try to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
I would appreciate having the room lights turned low for the actual delivery.
I would like to have the baby placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.
IMMEDIATELY AFTER DELIVERY
I would like to have Jeremy cut the cord.
I would prefer that the umbilical cord stop pulsating before it is cut.
I would like to hold the baby while I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made.
I would like to hold the baby for at least fifteen minutes before (he/she) is photographed, examined, etc.
I plan to keep the baby near me following birth and would appreciate if the evaluation of the baby can be done with the baby on my abdomen, with both of us covered by a warm blanket, unless there is an unusual situation.
If the baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, Jeremy will accompany the baby at all times.
I would prefer to hold the baby rather than have him placed under heat lamps.
I would like to delay the eye medication for the baby until a couple hours after birth.
POSTPARTUM
Unless required for health reasons, I do not wish to be separated from my baby.
I would like to have the baby "room in" and be with me at all times.
Jeremy or I will accompany the baby to the nursery for any exams that may be needed.
CESAREAN
Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a Cesarean.
If my primary care provider determines that a Cesarean delivery is indicated,I would like to obtain a second opinion from another physician if time allows.
If a Cesarean delivery is indicated, I would like to be fully informed and to participate in the decision-making process.
I would like Jeremy present at all times if the baby requires a Cesarean delivery.
I wish to have an epidural for anesthesia so I can view the birth,
I would like the screen lowered just before delivery of the baby.
I would like to touch the baby as soon as possible.
If the baby is not in distress, the baby should be given to Jeremy immediately after birth.
BREASTFEEDING
I plan to breastfeed the baby and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.
Rosiegirl7 likes this.
August 26th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My last hospital had me do a birth plan and discuss it early on. I don't know if they do that here or if it something I have to proactively push. It is whoever is on call, so it is probably most effective to just say at the time and make sure my husband knows what I want.
August 26th, 2013, 10:17 AM
"Shay-see"
Husband has a running list of my choices and I've described what they mean and when they'll be applicable. His job is to advocate for me when I'm drugged or otherwise not engaged. My OB is also up to date on my wishes and she is very supportive and will be there for my section and will *probably* be there if I happen to labor before then. I expect her to help make things go as well as possible for me.

Fortunately my hospital tries really hard to keep baby with mom as much as possible, so there won't be as many fights as there were the first time around. That's good, because I remember giving up a lot because I simply didn't have the energy to fight at every turn.

I'm okay with a lot of the standard procedures, but I have a few special requests for them if my surgery is uneventful:

Immediate skin-to-skin contact (if this happens during surgery I will need special assistance, but my OB assures me it can be managed)

Delayed cord clamping (somewhat unique for c/s but my doctor tells me it's entirely possible to arrange it)

No bath (baby can get a towel-down but I dislike the idea of stripping his external microbiome right away - I'll bathe him after we go home)

Vit K and eye goo OK if SOP

No more than one vaccine every 3 days if possible.

No bottles or formula plskthx

One of us is with baby at all times, for all non-emergency procedures. Luckily for me; the hospital accommodates husbands wishing to stay overnight by having a place for them to sleep, so mine can help pick up the slack.

Immediate recovery should be just husband, baby and I. Visitors are OK after we transfer to postpartum (last time my ENTIRE FAMILY was let in to the recovery room and literally everyone held my baby before I did - it was pretty hard, and my family is all very close and loving, so I felt bad about making a big deal out of it, but I really should have).

I think that's everything, but my husband has the list; there might be more.

If anyone spots something I'm missing, let me know!

Last edited by Seasaidh; August 26th, 2013 at 10:26 AM.
August 26th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Julie
Regarding episiotomy, I don't care either way but what if you were about to tear up into the clitoris instead of on the side or down?

August 26th, 2013, 10:54 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't plan on making a birth plan, as I have gone over a lot of the hospitals policies with one of the L&D nurses (she teaches our Lamaze class), and most of the things our hospital does is in line with what I was "planning" anyway.

I did find a couple of things surprising though - I learned that it is a state law in Iowa that hospitals have to give the eye ointment to newborns! I also learned that at the hospital I'm delivering at, they will give Pitocin if necessary and basically you can't refuse it (I'm going to double-check with my actual doctor on this one, because it seems weird to me that I can't refuse a medication).
August 26th, 2013, 10:57 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Well, I originally was going to do a whole thing with all the details, but after reflecting on the whole situation I think I'm going to skip it. I am going to a hospital with a philosophy that reflects mine, to a certain extent. They have a low intervention room for those that want it, so first of all, if you've made it there they have an idea of the birth you're looking for. They don't hold you to it if you really change your mind though. They don't do a nursery unless the baby has an issue - little one goes in your room with you, so if you're a BF mom that's kind of obvious. The only thing I can think of that I might want to sort out ahead of time and put on a piece of paper would be:

My decision on whether or not I want to get an IV (I haven't decided yet)
Whether or not I want pitocin after birth (it's routine there to get the uterus to contract and get the bleeding under control, even with mothers that choose not to use it during labor)
A kind little card asking if not super duper busy folks could snap a shot or two in the room with our camera.

One thing to consider with such specific and detailed birth plans is guilt - some advice that stuck with me from a LD nurse AND a good friend was this: if you do such a detailed and written birth plan, you run the risk of being majorly disappointed and feel a lot of guilt if you don't end up following it. Sometimes, you need to stick to your guns. Other times, you have to be flexible. It's all dependent on the situation. On top of the trauma of labor, you don't want to also be saddled with guilt and be disappointed in yourself. The end result of labor needs to be a healthy baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyrae03 View Post
I don't plan on making a birth plan, as I have gone over a lot of the hospitals policies with one of the L&D nurses (she teaches our Lamaze class), and most of the things our hospital does is in line with what I was "planning" anyway.

I did find a couple of things surprising though - I learned that it is a state law in Iowa that hospitals have to give the eye ointment to newborns! I also learned that at the hospital I'm delivering at, they will give Pitocin if necessary and basically you can't refuse it (I'm going to double-check with my actual doctor on this one, because it seems weird to me that I can't refuse a medication).
Jenny... Uh... get out of my BRAIN! Quit reading my thoughts! hahaha - we wrote the same **** post, almost.
jennyrae03 likes this.
August 26th, 2013, 11:06 AM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think birth plans are great, and recommend that people do write them, not sure what I'm going to do since I am planning a home birth, but I'll have something written up incase of a transfer, and something else written for my best friend who will be serving as my doula (she has no experience as a doula).
I do recommend that you either bullet point it and make it a 'yes' 'no' or 'will consider' instead of a full paragraph or even sentences of what you do and don't want... such as
Pain Management (this is an example, not what I'd actually write for myself)
Epidural - NO
suggestions of different positions - YES
IV pain relief - Will Consider

you can also make it in a chart form so that there are different sections for different things, like "labor management", "Pushing", "Infant Care preferences" or something like that. From what I understand about most nurses and doctors the easier it is to see at a glance what you want the more they will pay attention to it, where-as if you write it out in a letter or a list of sentences for your preferences then they will most likely skim through it and may not actually read all the details.

August 26th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh man...I'm way behind, I need to start making a list and bring it to the hospital with me.
August 26th, 2013, 11:12 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No birth plan here, never done one before.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

August 26th, 2013, 11:17 AM
JeCaLe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will not be going into the hospital with a birth plan.

My two primary concerns are that baby rooms in and I EBF. I already know that at the hospital I deliver at, baby rooms in the whole time except for around midnight when they do hearing tests and blood tests and baby will be gone about 15 mins unless I ask for a little longer. They fully support EBF and have a great lactation consultant during M-F as well as somebody different on the weekends.

On a side note, the first two questions they asked at both hospitals I was at were whether or not it was a boy or a girl and it was written on the big white board in the room and whether or not I planned to breast feed.

August 26th, 2013, 01:40 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My birth plan is delayed cord clamping (which the hospital already does) and NO episiotomy - which I always end up having to fight for my rights when the time comes anyway so there really is no need for a birth plan for me, but I think they can be helpful. Maybe print several copies so you can give it to the doctor and all the nurses, etc.
With my last one, I went over my verbal birth plan with my labor coach (my bff) so she could advocate for me if I was unable to. When it came time to the doctor suggesting an episiotomy, I gave her the look and she and I both started fighting him on it and told him no way! I would rather tear, but I digress.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
August 26th, 2013, 03:14 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
1. Get baby out.
Hmm..that's all I have...
I just want them to help me set up skype if my mom or dad can't or help me contact my Dh in any way I can. I know my hospital does kangaroo care and I dont think they do nurseries, but I want to be able to see baby at almost all times or have someone around baby at all times.
Other than no formula and I'm allergic to some antibiotics, I think I'm pretty much up for whatever since I have no idea what I'm going to experience. I'm still hoping for my slide and slide baby
August 26th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasaidh View Post

Immediate recovery should be just husband, baby and I. Visitors are OK after we transfer to postpartum (last time my ENTIRE FAMILY was let in to the recovery room and literally everyone held my baby before I did - it was pretty hard, and my family is all very close and loving, so I felt bad about making a big deal out of it, but I really should have).
This right here was my main annoyance with family for my last 2 births. After the first time I decided I wanted no one in there till I was clean, out of pain, and didn't need an ice pack on my junk. I stressed to them I wanted to see people in PP with DD2, and they still didn't listen. So this time no one will know when I go into labor except for a friend that will take care of the girls. No one else! They will get a call after I get to the PP room. After my bath, after clean clothes, after a meal. When baby is clean and dressed, not covered with blood.

My birth plan is pretty simple. I'm very laid back, don't mind the procedures.

I am hoping to experience going into labor on my own. So if all goes as plan...

1. Labor at home till I bust out crying for no reason.
2. Go to hospital, talk about pain relief.
3. Have baby.

I was considering stuff like delayed cord clamping. I'll ask the doctor when the time comes.

If I need a cesarean, I want to be knocked out. I'd like to wake up full of morphine.

No formula.

The rest is pretty trivial. Gonna have the IV because I want pain relief. Gonna be cathed because I want pain relief so I will also be in bed. OB doesn't break waters so I am looking forward to splashing people. Again, I'm not too particular. I just want DH during the birth, not a lot of people in and out. I go back and forth about students being in there. Been getting a lot during my appointments, but I don't think I want one present during the birth.
Seasaidh likes this.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven.

http://arwenart.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search