Nursery progress... (several photos)

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree18Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 4th, 2013, 01:11 PM
"Shay-see"
I just need a few finishing touches e.g. diaper hanger, put up the pictures/wall art, move the PnP and travel system out of there (storing them there for now), do another vacuum, add the mattress which came in the mail today (the waterproof cover and sheets are in the wash), and consider if I want a glider in there or a recliner somewhere else in the house (maybe both idk).

Anyway, I feel pretty good - like maybe I won't be completely at sea when we bring home baby A. Considering I wasn't even going to do a nursery when this pregnancy started (mostly because I didn't know if we'd be here long enough to justify it) this came together pretty well. I'm pleased.

Progress photos:

Before the storage furniture arrived (Nursery is formerly a random-stuff storage room. Then we got the travel system, a used full-size crib, the PnP, and a bunch of stuff from 2 baby showers. It was a disaster in there)

Then we got a place for the clothes

And a cuddly new friend for good measure (I call her Bearida).

Looking better already - something's missing though.

Book storage! Book storage is missing.

Much nicer (small room makes it hard to take pictures without a fisheye lens which I lack)

I decided I didn't like the big crib so I got it out of there and bought a mini-crib that matches the changer.

Not too shabby!

The picture against the wall back there is from the Scottish part of our honeymoon - there was a mama and baby sheep standing in the ocean at low tide at sunset on the isle of Islay - that photo is close to my heart and I love it dearly, and to me it's perfect for the nursery. It's currently the only thing (besides a medal I earned for a caber throw at 20w) that I have for the wall, though, so I'm hunting other things to help break up the sterility and add some color in there.

So how is your nursery coming? Or are you doing one? Pics encouraged
JeCaLe, Spyctre and MrsPea like this.

September 4th, 2013, 01:18 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't get to do a nursery this time around.. but after baby is born I plan to make over my office (which is where I'll eventually set up the crib or packn'play for baby and hang my diaper holder and store babies clothes... actually since I haven't gotten to go through the baby clothes yet I have not even thought of a place to put baby clothes and should probably start brainstorming that... eek!
For awhile baby will stay in our room with us, then move to the office until it is old enough to sleep in the same room as a sibling, but I don't know which one yet since we are team green.
I had a blast decorating nurseries for my other two children and really feel like I'm missing out on it for this one, but at the same time, when I put the two kids together I'll redecorate that room and still get the experience, so although very delayed it will be enjoyable.
Seasaidh likes this.

September 4th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yay! Cute!

I'll try and snap a picture of ours soon. I still haven't bought any wall decorations.
Seasaidh likes this.
September 4th, 2013, 02:52 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
That's sweet that you have something baby related but also from your special time together as mom and dad - sweet! nice work Get those photos and everything hung soon though b/c you will have them propped against the wall forever if you wait til after he's here
Seasaidh likes this.
September 4th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
My "nursery" is a swing in the corner of our bedroom. lol It will be a PnP in the corner a few months after she gets here. I love the little statues on the book case!
Seasaidh likes this.

Last edited by Spyctre; September 4th, 2013 at 03:14 PM.
September 4th, 2013, 03:33 PM
"Shay-see"
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_donut View Post
Get those photos and everything hung soon though b/c you will have them propped against the wall forever if you wait til after he's here
My first mistake was not hanging it when we first moved in a year ago - funny how these things get stuck in a rut.

But yes, it's on The List (I'll probably make husband do it this weekend).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyctre View Post
love the little statues on the book case!
Thanks! A crazy collector friend of mine had to unload a bunch of his stuff in a hurry - it was either leave them behind for the trashman or take them home. I also rescued the entire set of legos from the first Harry Potter book. I was going to give them away or sell them among a bunch of other collectible toys and then I ended up pregnant so I held off. Later, the Wild Things became the inspiration for my baby shower theme, so they belong to baby A now. I can't wait to read him the book.

September 4th, 2013, 03:50 PM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Really nice!!

No nursery here, but we are planning to clean our room up and make baby a spot in the corner the weekend! lol
Seasaidh likes this.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}

Forever missing my Mom...
September 4th, 2013, 04:41 PM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Very cool. I like a mini crib too
Seasaidh likes this.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
September 4th, 2013, 04:45 PM
JeCaLe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Looking great!

She will be in our room until we move out hopefully, so no nursery yet.
Seasaidh likes this.

September 4th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Julie
Lovely I like those Wild Thing figures too.
Seasaidh likes this.

September 4th, 2013, 05:10 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
Super cute way better than mine (the corner of my room)!
Love the books. I've been struggling to remember to buy some for baby so I can read to him/her. I love reading and want my child to have the same passion
Seasaidh likes this.
September 4th, 2013, 05:35 PM
"Shay-see"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveStorm2011 View Post
Super cute way better than mine (the corner of my room)!
Love the books. I've been struggling to remember to buy some for baby so I can read to him/her. I love reading and want my child to have the same passion
We deflected unwanted questions about baby registries by telling people to get their favorite childhood storybook for baby A (the whole expected-gift thing makes husband and I weirdly uncomfortable so this was a great strategy since good books can be found in pretty much every price category, and it also allowed people to put some personal touch into a lasting gift). Anyway, if we hadn't done it this way, it would have been all used books from Amazon and book resale stores because holy wow does the price of new books add up fast!

We're also going to be making a lot of use of the local library.

My contribution to the shelves is my old hardcover, fully illustrated copy of James and the Giant Peach. My grandmother gave it to me when I was quite young - I must have read it a few dozen times.

September 4th, 2013, 05:42 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasaidh View Post
We deflected unwanted questions about baby registries by telling people to get their favorite childhood storybook for baby A (the whole expected-gift thing makes husband and I weirdly uncomfortable so this was a great strategy since good books can be found in pretty much every price category, and it also allowed people to put some personal touch into a lasting gift). Anyway, if we hadn't done it this way, it would have been all used books from Amazon and book resale stores because holy wow does the price of new books add up fast!

We're also going to be making a lot of use of the local library.

My contribution to the shelves is my old hardcover, fully illustrated copy of James and the Giant Peach. My grandmother gave it to me when I was quite young - I must have read it a few dozen times.

For my first son's birthday we decided a book party would be grand... otherwise I was bound to end up with a lot of toys my nontoy loving son would never play with... turned out to be the greatest idea I've ever come up with and now it is a tradition, every other year on the birthdays we have a book party, and ask everyone invited to please bring a book instead of a toy or clothes as presents. He's turning 5 this year and isn't thrilled to not be getting toys as he now understands the concept, but I think when he's older he'll like it again... (besides mommy and daddy buy him a toy for his birthday and Christmas is 4 days later so lots of toys then too). We do the same for my daughter as well, I'm super excited that I dont' have to read the same book every night for lack of variety, and the kids will have their own collection to take when they have kids of their own.
Seasaidh likes this.

September 4th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey, that looks awesome! Will try to post my photos soon too, we have very similar nurseries. You have great taste
Seasaidh likes this.
September 4th, 2013, 08:00 PM
"Shay-see"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizza411 View Post
Hey, that looks awesome! Will try to post my photos soon too, we have very similar nurseries. You have great taste
Oooh I'm looking forward to seeing what you did!

I keep thinking the floor wants a dark blue (+green?? +gold?? +??) rug with celtic knotwork or allusions thereof. ... but I don't wanna spend the $. I'll figure something out.

September 4th, 2013, 08:08 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
About the used books on amazon - Yep! We already have our wishlist set up...it was getting off my lazy butt and actually purchasing them all. The sucky thing is when shipping is more than the book! That was a good idea though!
Seasaidh likes this.
September 4th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmehaffey View Post
For awhile baby will stay in our room with us, then move to the office until it is old enough to sleep in the same room as a sibling, but I don't know which one yet since we are team green.
How old do you think is old enough to share? I think he'll be in our room for at least 6 months. That is about when we put our daughter in her nursery. However, he is going to be sharing with our 3-year-old daughter, and 6 months seems a little early if he is not sleeping through the night at all yet.
September 5th, 2013, 10:29 AM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love your nursery! It's adorable and your mini crib looks like it fits better than the big one. You mentioned considering buying a celtic knotwork rug <--- I love this idea and think it would look so cute! Good luck and I'm definitely putting in a request now to see said rug when/if you go for it.
Seasaidh likes this.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
September 5th, 2013, 10:40 AM
"Shay-see"
I have a vision of what such a rug *should* look like, but I've never actually seen one like it. ...then again I haven't looked (partially for fear that I'll find one and be too tempted to buy it )
FishermansWife4 likes this.

September 5th, 2013, 10:43 AM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad I didn't give you a few links then lol I don't look either because my family and DH's family are both very Irish and so Celtic Knotwork anything, Celtic Cross anything, heck, Irish anything and we'd jump on it to show off our heritage. Haven't been to the Emerald Isle yet, but definitely, once the kiddos are older, plan on making the trip....and possibly never coming back

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search