To wash or not to wash, that is the question!

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Seasaidh

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 5th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Veteran
So, me and my husband decided last night that we were going to pack our hospital bags. We started with the baby bag because it is obviously more fun, but we didn't get very far. I started to grab stuff and realized it all still had tags and needed to be washed! I just feel really reluctant to pull off all of those tags, JUST IN CASE he comes out a she or a super sized baby or something. I used to work at the local WIC office and heard so many stories about gender mistakes, or babies that never wore newborn clothes. My son was 8lbs 5oz and still wore newborn stuff, but I am still a little hesitant. What is everyone else doing? If I keep the tags, would I still be able to return stuff if it is washed and the tags are off? I can't believe I didn't even think of this sooner!
September 5th, 2013, 09:37 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was having the same worries, and ended up just washing everything and tossing the tags. I don't have THAT many newborn outfits, so I'm not going to be out too much if he doesn't fit into them. I will probably keep them if they don't fit, in case we end up having another boy someday - never know if a second one will fit into newborn clothes!
September 5th, 2013, 09:40 AM
"Shay-see"
If you have a lot of the really tiny stuff, consider picking your favorite five or something and de-tagging and washing that group. If he doesn't fit in them, you can take the rest back and you'll have a small collection of NB clothes for future babies or that you can hand off to some other new mom. If he does, you'll have something to get you through a day or two so you can do the rest of the laundry (or ideally get someone else to do it lol).
slmehaffey likes this.

September 5th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I washed everything. I didn't buy too much in nb size.
I did keep the receipt for the size nb disposables I bought.
September 5th, 2013, 12:25 PM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I don't have too much NB either. I just washed them all.

Jamie age 37-Single mommy and loving life
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
September 5th, 2013, 12:41 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
Ditto here. Washed it all. I think I only had 4 newborn stuff and three came together...when I washed them they got huge! Bigger than my 0-3 month stuff!
September 5th, 2013, 01:29 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got all my nb stuff used for the same reason, that way I didn't spend a fortune only to have a baby who couldn't wear them. I would do Seasaidh said and picking 4-5 outfits you really like and just washing those before you go to the hospital. Then if baby fits into them after birth have your Dh detag and wash the rest when you get home.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

September 5th, 2013, 01:36 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
If my boy turns out to be a girl, she is going to be wearing a LOT OF BOY CLOTHES because I have washed and de tagged everything that has come into this house.
September 5th, 2013, 02:32 PM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't buy any newborn, but all the clothes I got I took the tags off, I will be doing all my washing and packing next week or so!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

September 5th, 2013, 02:51 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have very few NB clothes and focused more on 0-3 months instead. Given our very obvious gender pic I'm not worried about he being a she, lol. So everything is detagged and washed here.

September 5th, 2013, 06:35 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I washed and folded everything already, really didn't want to come home to have to do laundry. If our she turns out to be a he, he'll be wearing some pink stuff (he'll never remember except for the pictures ). I wont make him wear the hair bows, but baby would be wearing pink onesies for a while
September 5th, 2013, 07:47 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have this problem, but I like the suggestions others have made, picking a few outfits and washing the rest later.
I'm having a home birth, and am on team green... I have two outfits for first outing to church, one boy one girl, I'm not washing either until I know what I'm having, but I did buy a pack of new white onesies and will wash those and have them ready for baby, otherwise baby is getting a lot of hand me downs from sister or brother and I have not even bothered to go through their boxes because honestly I'm not too thrilled to go rummaging through their old clothes to pick out the gender neutral ones only to have to turn around and do it again in whatever gender I'm actually having... so baby is wearing white onesies until I get to the boxes..lol

September 11th, 2013, 12:15 PM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I learned my lesson after my first and wash everything as long as I know I am keeping it for sure, and if I decide to not keep it I can give it to someone who can use it or even find someone who would trade.

With our first we had TONS of clothes hanging in the closet with tags just waiting for him to fit into. Then he would be fitting it, I would wash it once and it was too small. Some of my favorite outfits he wore only one time cuz I waited too long and it shrunk when it was washed.

September 11th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Super Mommy
I'll wash everything. If he can't wear them, I'll end up taking to a consignment shop most likely. Newborn clothes are pretty cheap so I won't lose too much anyway.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search