Gifts from in-laws

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Seasaidh

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2013, 03:55 PM
"Shay-see"
I'm lucky in that my in-laws are pretty awesome.

Yesterday we received a package from them that included some of my husband's clothes from when he was little, plus a baby book (the kind you fill out with all sorts of trivia about your pregnancy and first year) and some other cute odds and ends. It also included what must have been someone's idea of a joke - a baby-catching kit consisting of rubber-gripped work gloves, a head lamp, and about six disposable wet-naps.

Today we got another package from them and this:

was inside. That was so super-nice of them. I love the product and that's my favorite pattern and just.. yay!

I've been reading the stories on the following thread

The Best of Delivery Room Dramas - BabyCenter

and have more or less concluded that everyone's in-laws are crazy except mine. Are yours?
Irshtripletsmommy and MrsPea like this.
September 6th, 2013, 04:45 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
Mine are good crazy. Haha
My mil gave me my dh's old quilt from his babyhood..which was nice..
but then she gets me a used boppy and I cringe and die a little inside.
She's really thoughtful, but can be so overbearing sometimes - but they're better than (they both admit they haven't had a child in forever and are not up to date on everything! YAY no unwanted advice!) my parents so it's nice
September 6th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Awww, that's sweet of them! I got DH's old baby clothes last time as well as his baby book and some blankets. I guess she was saving them for our son, but he'll never be coming.

Mine go back and forth between craziness and normalcy. Comparing them to my parents lately have made them a bit more normal in my eyes. lol

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven.

http://arwenart.com
September 6th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I have been reading those stories for the past hour! HOLY ****! Some of those ladies are INSANE!

My in-laws have been bugging us to take the girls for a day for a long while now. We've always told them no. We've never dumped our children on them, but their daughter does. All. The. Time. They keep her kids for days at a time so she and her DH can go be a "couple." And they hate it. Don't get me wrong, they love their grandchildren to death, but two senior citizens trying to care for 2 toddlers several days strait doesn't work too well.

Anyway, last year we asked a month before Winter was born if we could drive Alice to their house, a 2+ hour drive(their daughter gets THEM to pick up her kids, and she's also 2 hours away), let her stay for the day while I delivered DD2, and DH would drive back down to get her. FIL's response verbatim: "We aren't babysitters." ....OK. So I don't know when it occurred to them we weren't trying to dump DD1 to go to a dang ball game or get tattoos, to go off and be a couple, that we really needed a sitter(not my mom), but since DD2 has been born they constantly ask to watch Alice or both for the day. We still say no.

So this time they have begged and pleaded their way into watching the girls at our house while I'm in labor this go. DH already agreed. I think they'd do a good job, but I worry because I told my mom a friend would watch them because I didn't want her feelings hurt. Now my in-laws are allowed over to watch them but not my parents. Big mess! My mom will find out, and she'll pull the, "You know I'd do anything for you, I want it as easy on you as possible. No one was there for me with Dell(my ADHD/Autistic/Anxiety Disorder brother). Yeah, and now your son is in rehab-prison getting regular therapy sessions. That's my drama this go.

They all know they are not allowed in the hospital till after I'm in the PP room. The nurses will be given strict orders about that.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven.

http://arwenart.com
September 6th, 2013, 07:31 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I really love my in-laws, they are the sweetest people. This is my MIL's first grandchild so he is already SO spoiled! She got us the stroller/ car seat travel set, a silver spoon, tons of clothes, and blankets, books, & clothes from DH as a child too. His first Christmas he's going to make out like a bandit! Also they keep giving us money for the two of us "to go have fun while we can."

They are the parents that live closest to us so I know they'll get to see Douglas a lot more then my parents and that's going to be the issue coming down the road. I can already see it.

September 6th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
My inlaws have been driving me insane this pregnancy. Everything they do gets under my skin. I'm hoping it's the hormones but I don't know. My mil is the most paranoid person in the world & judging by the way she talks about my SIL, I can only imagine what she says behind my back. She gets on DH's nerves more than mine though lol. I get along with her well & she'd do anything for us. It's actually her husband who drives me insane. He adores my son which I appreciate bc he's not even his biological grandfather but you certainly wouldn't know it. My son adores him too. & he will do anything for us. Helps me when DH is at work & is easy to get along with. But he is bossy. Extremely bossy. His way or no way & it has been since he was born. We have different views on politics, healthy eating (he weighs like 400 pounds & has had a heart attack & is not even 50), guns, their dog, their cat, video games, buying my son toys & the list goes on & on. Most of the time I just bite my tongue when he brings up these subjects in front of me b/c I'm not big on conflict. It's almost getting to the point though where I think he does things to get a rise out of me. I asked them not to buy my son these toys he collects bc a) we are using them as a reward for sleeping in his own bed & b) bc I want to start Xmas shopping since I won't be working around Christmas so I want to start buying what I can now. Well of course they didn't listen & had my son call me at work to tell me they got him one! I don't trust their dog around him & when we used to ask them to put him away, he'd make remarks to let us know she was out. My son will say he wants water & he'll force soda on him. Basically he cannot stand that I'm in charge of my family & I make the rules, not him. He's a great guy otherwise, but he does really get under my skin!

September 6th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love the stars on it! Super cute!
September 7th, 2013, 04:23 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's so awesome!

My ILs are great. They bought us our infant carseat. My MIL asked yesterday what we want after baby comes and I told her dinners and diapers please.
September 7th, 2013, 06:00 AM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think that's so sweet of your in laws! I love the pattern and style of your carrier. I want one now lol

My in laws are....Well, better than my mom (Which is the whole reason I'm keeping Susan's official birthday quiet on fb and asking friends to keep mute as well) but FIL lives in a cottage by the lake in Ohio (SO gorgeous there!) and MIL has a lot going on in her life. They're both great though, for the most part. If only I could get MIL to bring me those boxes she's been promising me for the move for the last two weeks...Sigh....

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
September 7th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Nice!

Neither of my in laws (they're divorced) have gotten anything for the baby. My MIL probably won't but my FIL and his wife probably will once s/he's born.

Luckily my Mom and stepdad help us out with anything we might need. My MIL considers herself "involved" but she's super cheap.
& Henry Joseph- born 10/15/13
8 lbs 10 oz and 22" long

September 11th, 2013, 11:57 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Love that pattern.

I have a wrap that I want... but I know my inlaws wont be getting it. LOL

September 11th, 2013, 12:19 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awesome! I have an ergo and love it, although I have yet to actually use it. But I think I will REALLY love it I also have a boba wrap (like a moby).

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search