Strep B Testing appointment at 35 weeks!

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2013, 08:53 AM
SouthernBelle86's Avatar Rachelle
I am going in tomorrow for my 35 week doctor appointment and they are going to do the strep b test exam.

I am told it's similar to a pap and they just swab the area. Do you think they would do a internal exam around same time to check my cervix if I asked or they wait until another appointment. I know most doctors won't check until like 38 weeks but my fetal medicine doctor already said they won't let me go past 40 weeks so I am really curious. I just hope the OB doctors stay on the same page as they tend to want to do everything their own way and we are being rotated to different doctors each week now so all 7 doctors have their own way of doing things.

I am curious to know others experience when they have had this done.

10 Weeks-9/12/12

5 Weeks-12/12/12
September 9th, 2013, 09:10 AM
east to west coast's Avatar ~Melissa~
I don't think my midwives or the OBs that I see would have checked for dilation at 35 weeks unless I had specific signs of impending labor. The first time I was checked was at about 38 1/2 weeks.

It's your first baby, right? If that's the case, I would recommend waiting to check for dilation. The likelihood that you're dilated isn't good, and it can be really disappointing/frustrating to find out that you're not even close to going into labor. That's been my experience at least. You still have a lot of time between now and 40 weeks for your body to gear up to have that baby.

Fingers crossed that you're GBS negative!

Thank you, MommaDucks, for my lovely siggy
September 9th, 2013, 09:20 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I don't think I ever get internals before 36/37 weeks. I go this friday and will get my strep test done. I will be 36 weeks, so I am hoping that she will do an internal then. I would love to know what stage I am at right now.

Jamie age 37-Single mommy and loving life
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
September 9th, 2013, 09:26 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I get my GBS test tomorrow, I'm not sure if this doctor will check my cervix or not at all. But I know my last pregnancy NO doctor checked me until I went to be induced at 41 weeks!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

September 9th, 2013, 09:35 AM
JeCaLe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Last time I got tested at 35 weeks and they didn't do an exam until 37 weeks. After that it was up to me if I wanted checked.

This time around I am already considered positive as I turned up with it at my initial urine check. I had a cervical check last week when I went in with contractions and am thinking about asking at my appointment on Thursday to see if these things have done anything since. I was at 2 last week, which is so bizarre to me as I have never been more than a fingertip at 40 weeks before.

September 9th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I just had my GBS test at 35 weeks, and my OB did do a cervix check. "Since I was up on the table anyway." She didn't do one the following week, however. I don't know when the next will be, she's pretty hands-off. She hasn't done the tape measure once. Glad about that. I always end up measuring enormous, but it's just the baby's position.

I have an appointment Wednesday, and she may check then. Third child and I wasn't dilated to anything last time! =P I only dilated to a 1 before I was induced with DD2. That was 4 days before my due date. With DD1, I was 2 cm by 35-36 weeks. My cervix is so contrary. I should be like 4 cm by now!

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven. Hoping to get knocked up in 2016. Sometimes.

http://arwenart.com
September 9th, 2013, 09:57 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I will have my GBS test done on wednesday, often the doc checks at that time for me at least in the practice I have seen. But then hands off unless there is a problem or labor.

I am curious, if you are FTM why will they not let you go past 40 weeks though?

Oh, and to me the GBS was easier than a pap, I don't remember then ever using the speculum

September 9th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had the strep b test at my last appointment at 36 weeks, she said she would check my cervix at week 37..this week! :/
September 9th, 2013, 10:26 AM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
Yep no speculum. I just had mine done last week and it was a q-tip. Hurt me, but I'm like, sealed shut lately!
My doctor was going to check but since the test hurt me she was like
"Nevermind, it's not like you're in labor anyways."
September 9th, 2013, 10:59 AM
SouthernBelle86's Avatar Rachelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbears View Post
I will have my GBS test done on wednesday, often the doc checks at that time for me at least in the practice I have seen. But then hands off unless there is a problem or labor.

I am curious, if you are FTM why will they not let you go past 40 weeks though?

Oh, and to me the GBS was easier than a pap, I don't remember then ever using the speculum

The fetal medicine doctor doesn't want me to go past 40 weeks due to my two past miscarriages and I am high risk with a blood clotthing disorder called MTHFR. He said there is a higher risk in complications for me and baby for women like me who go past due date.

I'm not complaining the idea of having the baby a little early as I would rather be safe than sorry. I've suffered enough pain and grief in the past and this pregnancy hasn't been the easiest so I appreciate that this one doctor isn't taking chances with the life of me or my miracle son.

10 Weeks-9/12/12

5 Weeks-12/12/12
September 9th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am guessing they will do my strep B test tomorrow at my appt but I am pretty sure they won't check me. Don't think I want them to cause it can be uncomfortable. Last pregnancy I recall the OB asking me around 36-37 weeks if I wanted to be checked and warned me it can hurt and/or be disappointing if I'm not dilated. I said no thanks and he was born a week later anyway.
& Henry Joseph- born 10/15/13
8 lbs 10 oz and 22" long

September 9th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J09C11L13 View Post

This time around I am already considered positive as I turned up with it at my initial urine check.

I would ask to be retested. Your GBS status can change, and often does.

September 9th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Veteran
I had to administer my own GBS test!!! The nurse gave me the q-tip and a few instructions like "you don't have to put that far in - the swap was like 12" long, don't worry I'm not shoving that whole thing up there." At my midwife's office we also do our own pee sticks and weight checks, I think I should ask for discount! I will be 37 1/2 weeks at this Wednesday's appointment, I think I will be asking for a woohoo check just to see what's going on, it feels like the baby is low enough it should be ready to come out out and say hi.

September 9th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
That's strange, Mountain Momma! Checking yourself? I feel the same way about ringing myself up at the store. I'm not doing it because I'm not getting paid to. I pay the same price for my groceries, but I do the work for them?

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven. Hoping to get knocked up in 2016. Sometimes.

http://arwenart.com
September 9th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Leah
I have my test at 36 weeks. All that it meas to me is that it'll be time to start consistently grooming. She explained I'd be swabbed vaginally and rectally. The midwife didnt mention any cervical checks then, so I'm guessing no on that. He definitely wasn't in position at my last appointment so I'm not sure if it would be different if he were totally head down and low. Little booger can't make his mind up where he wants to hang.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
September 9th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Momma View Post
I had to administer my own GBS test!!! The nurse gave me the q-tip and a few instructions like "you don't have to put that far in - the swap was like 12" long, don't worry I'm not shoving that whole thing up there." At my midwife's office we also do our own pee sticks and weight checks, I think I should ask for discount! I will be 37 1/2 weeks at this Wednesday's appointment, I think I will be asking for a woohoo check just to see what's going on, it feels like the baby is low enough it should be ready to come out out and say hi.
One of the ob's will do my GBS swab, but I also dip my own pee and check my own weight at my midwives' office. I definitely prefer it. It makes absolutely no sense to me that I leave a urine sample at my ob's office and never find out the results. It's my pee, darn it!

September 9th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
Oh geez. I didn't even realize it was time for all ths stuff! I can't remember when they did what with my first, but I have my 35 week appointment tomorrow with the midwife who delivered my son. She absolutely killed me last pregnancy when she checked my cervix. I screamed & that's so not me. I don't want her checking anything!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search