Tips on how to gain weight on GD diet?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wren

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I am having a lot of trouble gaining or even maintaining my weight with my very low carb diet. I haven't gained in about 2 months and the doctor is a bit concerned even though the baby appears to be growing fine. Any ideas on high calorie, low carb snacks? Unfortunately really fatty stuff makes my cholestasis worse, so I can't chug bacon grease.
September 10th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Are you already low weight? I wouldn't think it would hurt for you to not gain while baby still did. I'm overweight so my doctors love that I usually don't gain during pregnancy. I am really swollen this go so I have gained 20+ lbs in less than 4 weeks.

High calorie, low carb... eggs? Peanut butter maybe. Lot of those have a lot of fat. Natural peanut butter? Avocado would be good. Healthy fats in that one, right? Chicken, maybe a little cheese.
September 10th, 2013, 02:56 PM
I started in the "normal" weight range, so not under or overweight, and probably lost a few pounds in the first trimester. I've gained about 12 pounds total, but it is just that I have lost a couple pounds and not gained it back in the last two months that has the doctors concerned. I was gaining quickly before I started the GD diet.
September 10th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Seems like they are worrying for nothing to me, but I guess they know better. I hope you can find some foods to fatten you up! GD diet seems like it would do the opposite. Low or no carbs and/or sugar, low fat for the other thing. I have a friend that had that problem with food. During pregnancy she had high BP and GD. She was just screwed all the way around no matter what she ate!
September 10th, 2013, 07:23 PM
I have an ultrasound next week, so if he is still gaining and growing, I'm not going to worry.
Spyctre likes this.
September 11th, 2013, 01:52 AM
Julie
Darwen had some good suggestions. You can only do so much to gain since you have to avoid a lot, hope the baby is gaining well at the next appointment.

September 11th, 2013, 01:02 PM
"Shay-see"
Can you eat eggs? How about nuts? Nuts are low carb, delish, and pretty solid on the calories.

This is a tough one because a low carb diet is *how* i lose weight when that's what I want to do.

Can you eat beans? They're carby, but they're harder to break down so they have a low GI. Obvs you'd want to ask your doc first, but I love beans as nutritiously dense food.
September 11th, 2013, 02:49 PM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I would say since baby is growing fine, I wouldn't really worry. Obviously you shouldn't be feeling like you are starving though. But I wouldn't worry about the numbers on the scale.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search