What people never tell you about newborns.

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Spyctre
  • 2 Post By Aimee319
  • 1 Post By Spyctre
  • 2 Post By JeCaLe
  • 1 Post By FishermansWife4
  • 1 Post By Seasaidh
  • 1 Post By slmehaffey
  • 1 Post By east to west coast

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 11th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I am pretty sure this has already been a thread, but I just got through lurking another DDC, and came across a baby poop post. This was a formula post, but I remember freaking out as a FTM because my child wasn't pooping every day while I was breastfeeding. Breast milk is used so efficiently that baby may not poop for several days to a week. The 4-7 day poopy diapers normally didn't start for a few months so you shouldn't worry about it happening right away. When or if it does happen, it is totally normal.

Anything BTDT moms want to share about newborns?

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven. Hoping to get knocked up in 2016. Sometimes.

http://arwenart.com

Last edited by Spyctre; September 11th, 2013 at 06:48 AM. Reason: italics
September 11th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Funny cause I always heard that BF babies usually poop more than formula fed because it goes through them faster (the breastmilk) and takes less time to process than formula with all those additives. I think every baby is just different. DS pooped multiple times a day immediately (exclusively BFed)

Hmmm, newborns. They sleep a LOT in the beginning, or mine did. Like way more than I thought. All he did for the first few weeks was sleep, eat, and poop, and I was like wow this is super easy, what are people talking about? And then he 'woke up', started getting more alert, but would cry for hours where I couldn't figure out what was wrong, etc.
slmehaffey and jamieshalon2 like this.
& Henry Joseph- born 10/15/13
8 lbs 10 oz and 22" long

September 11th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Mine slept a lot, too. =) Made housework so easy for a while!

The infrequent bm's started for mine around 3 months, but it wasn't constipation. DD1 would go once a week, and DD2 would go around every 3 days. In the very beginning, it was eat and explosive poop, eat and explosive poop. Lots of poopies at first.
Aimee319 likes this.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven. Hoping to get knocked up in 2016. Sometimes.

September 11th, 2013, 08:12 AM
JeCaLe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The thing I see most moms worry about is weight gain. Newborns lose weight, sometime a lot. A lot of peds get really nervous if they aren't back up to their birth weight within 2 weeks, but it can be quite normal for a bf baby not to be up until 3-4 weeks. Don't let them push you into supplementing if your baby is gaining. The other thing, as a FTM, it may well take up to 5 days for your milk to come in.
~Momma*2011~ and 1fabulousfem like this.

September 11th, 2013, 10:11 AM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Feed your baby when baby is rooting, putting hands to their mouth, etc. If baby is asleep and sleeping well, don't wake baby up to eat unless it's been like 4 hours or 5 hours. Take their cues over a stupid clock. You could over feed them and make them sick. Nurses and doctors and other parents will tell you have them on a schedule about eating...Yeah...They can bite me on that one.

If you have a fussy baby, hold baby in your arms and rock them. There is NO SUCH THING as spoiling a newborn baby. If baby continues to fuss and you can't get them to calm down, run the sweeper with baby in your arms. The sound will help calm their tummies and sooth them. It reminds them of the womb. Same goes for noise machines. They work similar to the vacuum trick.
Spyctre likes this.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
September 11th, 2013, 01:58 PM
"Shay-see"
This is a good thread and needs more airtime.

Babies aren't very interactive for the first month or two - that's what I wish I had known when I was first starting out! I'm sure there's more but that was a big one.
Spyctre likes this.

September 11th, 2013, 02:20 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
the first 2-3 weeks seems so easy, then they wake up like someone else said, and from that time till about 12 weeks is HARD!!! but after about 12 weeks (what they call the 4th trimester) things get so much better! REST a lot those first few weeks cause after baby wakes up you wont get as much and the extra rest you got during their sleepy stage really helps out a lot.
oh and not really about the baby but more about older siblings they LOVE pushing baby in the swing..so make sure you buckle that baby up good or you might end up with baby falling out when a helpful sibling starts pushing it the minute you walk out of the room.
Spyctre likes this.

September 11th, 2013, 03:48 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Totally second the newborn weight thing. My nurses/peds tried to push me into formula supplementing and it took my milk 3 days to come in. Sawyer lost a whole pound atleast by the time we left the hospital after my c section. But it's NORMAL. Every breastfeeding book you read will tell you that it's normal and just to keep at it- newborns need very little to eat for those first few days-and that colostrum is liquid gold to keep everything good til your milk kicks in!!

I didn't know this one, but you may not have that instant bond/love with your newborn. Sometimes it takes a little while to develop, don't feel like you're a bad mom! I found from 3 months on was just the best because that's when baby could really respond and interact more. Up until then I feel like its about mom and baby survival!

Newborn breastfed poop will look seedy-- also normal. And it really doesn't smell very bad. LOL when I would put it in vanilla scented diaper pail bags it would smell like cookie dough together. It was weird.

September 11th, 2013, 04:56 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used to think my sons breastfed diapers smelled like kettle corn... I hated the stuff and therefore didn't like the smell of his diapers, but it was FAR better than my daughter's formula diapers!

September 11th, 2013, 05:39 PM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
What works for one newborn may not work for another.

The weight thing is a good one and sometimes leads to stress for the mom with that weight loss in the beginning.

September 11th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
FTM here, but these are great, thanks!
September 11th, 2013, 09:45 PM
east to west coast's Avatar ~Melissa~
That breastfed babies will sometimes continue to nurse even after their bellies are full for comfort. And, then just very casually barf up ounces and ounces and ounces of milk. My daughter did this alllll the time when she was itty bitty, and it scared the crap out of me at first.
Aimee319 likes this.

Thank you, MommaDucks, for my lovely siggy
September 11th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen

Babies like to suck! Sometimes they will drink so much their tummies will hurt, and that makes them want to suck more. Whenever they have pain, they want to suck. This is where I found pacifiers to be a life saver. I didn't get the overfeeding problem with DD1, but DD2 was convinced nursing could cure everything. lol From tummy aches to loud noises.

September 12th, 2013, 12:07 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^^

Addi was the same way, she nursed when anything disturbed her routine-whether it was the dog barking or someone walking into the house.

You have never seen gross until your child has projectile pooped and projectile vomited on you...sometimes at the same time.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search