OT government

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree27Likes
  • 2 Post By Spyctre
  • 4 Post By soul_donut
  • 6 Post By Wanta.number2
  • 2 Post By soul_donut
  • 1 Post By mama2ladybugs
  • 4 Post By Druslady96
  • 1 Post By Cccbb61013
  • 4 Post By Wanta.number2
  • 1 Post By Druslady96
  • 1 Post By cooper1414
  • 1 Post By Druslady96

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2013, 01:36 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I hate our government today. That is all.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven.

http://arwenart.com
October 1st, 2013, 01:46 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Totally.. and facebook. People are *****ing for all the wrong reasons.. I have friends that HAVE to go to work, and not get paid, but still have to pay their federal student loans, their mortgages, day care, etc. Anyone going off about politics and how the shutdown is warranted make me feel so bad for everyone going through furloughs and not able to get the services they need selfish!

Congress should not get paid and lose access to any funding like their insurance etc - see how they like it.
Spyctre, Wren, QL1516 and 1 others like this.
October 1st, 2013, 01:56 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_donut View Post
Congress should not get paid and lose access to any funding like their insurance etc - see how they like it.
Seriously! They can't do their job then they don't get paid!

October 1st, 2013, 02:17 PM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
Yep, and on top of that, they are also noting that a lot of government programs such as WIC will run out of funding if this mess is not figured out by the 17th. A lot of families depend on WIC for formula to feed their infants, and now may have to forgo a utility bill, for example, to buy formula.

My heart hurts for the furloughed workers and their families. I can't imagine the stress they must be under, since so many people live paycheck to paycheck.

Congress needs to stop acting like a bunch of **** Kindergartners and get this fixed NOW.

This is just embarrassing.
October 1st, 2013, 02:47 PM
allysmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We had an agent from Immigration come in to pick someone up today and he said he wasn't getting paid...geez, then another friend of mine is on a furlough too, but they wouldn't let her go to work. What a jacked up world/government we have!!!

October 1st, 2013, 02:52 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Totally.. a LOT of gov't programs are totally screwed right now, leaving a lot of people in the lurch. Head Start, WIC, meals on wheels.. Programs that had already been totally cut down to the bone just cancelled. One meal a day for an elderly person, gone. It's so so sad. This is more than politics - it's a moral issue. Pass the bill without the ACA stuff and come up with a better plan - you can't try something 40+ times and think OK THIS TIME IT"S GOING TO WORK. Come up with a PLAN if you hate the ACA so much. Don't put women, infants, the elderly, school children, people who depend on these programs, their federal jobs, or work in relation to these jobs (say, a waitress feeding a family that works near the smithsonian and now will not have any tables, etc) in a place where they are worried how they are going to live and eat for another month.
QL1516 and Heidijens1 like this.
October 1st, 2013, 04:21 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know. I have friends who have to come in to work and work for free today. I didn't realize that was legal.
October 1st, 2013, 05:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just feel so bad for everyone affected by this. It truly is embarrassing and pathetic.
& Henry Joseph- born 10/15/13
8 lbs 10 oz and 22" long

October 1st, 2013, 09:18 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
We decided to apply for WIC today for Winter. Made the appointment a while back. They were going crazy over there. I was brought back, and the lady told me they could only issue two weeks worth, and if they weren't used by the 15th, we couldn't use them. She was telling me that even she was living paycheck to paycheck. The workers there are all pretty aggravated.

As I was leaving, there were men and women coming in with their children and being turned away. All other appointments for this month were cancelled.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven.

http://arwenart.com
October 1st, 2013, 10:03 PM
mama2ladybugs's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyctre View Post
I hate our government today. That is all.
I hate our government practically everyday. And I'm not trying to start s*** with anyone, but I'm completely aggravated that we are so completely screwed as a country and none of it is going to get any better, because the government 1. Can't agree on anything and 2. Keeps spending spending spending on crap that is making our situation worse.
Spyctre likes this.

Thank you Babydoll213 for my beautiful siggy

WTTC #3 Fall 2017
October 1st, 2013, 11:10 PM
Druslady96's Avatar Veteran
Our government has sucked for a long time... the well off will not vote on anything that doesn't further pad their pockets... unless of course it's the BUSINESS of war.... among yes... many other unnecessary expenditures/handouts. They don't feel the effects because they are still getting paid.

It's lame and I won't even get started...

This made me LMAO.... funny and sad at the same time:

Six of One - Obamacare vs. The Affordable Care Act - YouTube

October 2nd, 2013, 03:53 AM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druslady96 View Post

This made me LMAO.... funny and sad at the same time:

Six of One - Obamacare vs. The Affordable Care Act - YouTube
LOL!
Druslady96 likes this.

October 2nd, 2013, 06:26 AM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well found out last night DH is now working on borrowed time. He works for a gov. funded non-profit that does government research & project oversight, all projects related to the air force were stopped yesterday and his and others projects are working off money that was already in the pipeline but will eventually run out depending on how long this goes on for. Of course no one could give a straight answer as too how long that funding will last.

October 2nd, 2013, 06:39 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
the whole thing is really scary. My SIL is on WIC right now since they cut her hours way back at work because she is 12 weeks into a high risk pregnancy and I know this will seriously cut into how they can eat since my brother is currently disabled and cannot work. I don't know how some people are going to make it if things don't improve soon.

Jamie age 37-Married to Widget age 33 for 14 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
October 2nd, 2013, 07:59 AM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
The Affordable Care Act vs. Obamacare thing was really funny, but extremely frustrating at the same time. This is a major piece of legislation that affects EVERYONE. And we wonder why things have gotten this bad... we vote these people into office!! So many people don't educate themselves or just don't care. I get people are busy and involved in their own lives, but the people running our government affect everything from the food you eat to whether or not you get to go to work the next day. Pay attention America!!!

*steps off soapbox, lol.
October 2nd, 2013, 08:16 AM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That video is definitely frustrating. I think the government should've also done a better job educating the people about this new healthcare policy, no one knows anything! I think they were trying to sneak it by the youngins (the ones paying the high premiums) without them being fully educated.

Anyways I'll spare my views on the subject but I think we can all agree that our government is an embarrassment.

Side note- anyone know if this shutdown affects State stuff I.e. Maternity leave? I still haven't got my first notice and my leave started 9/4. Grrrr
October 2nd, 2013, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiegirl7 View Post
That video is definitely frustrating. I think the government should've also done a better job educating the people about this new healthcare policy, no one knows anything! I think they were trying to sneak it by the youngins (the ones paying the high premiums) without them being fully educated.

Anyways I'll spare my views on the subject but I think we can all agree that our government is an embarrassment.

Side note- anyone know if this shutdown affects State stuff I.e. Maternity leave? I still haven't got my first notice and my leave started 9/4. Grrrr
There was a bunch of info out there... but many didn't take the time to look into it... as is with most stuff... Of course the rates were not released right away but it's not necessarily the young people... unless they are making a semi-decent income.

In reference to your side note... What notice are you waiting on? From your job or from EDD? For my job I had to initiate it with Prudential (our provider) but it was fairly easy, they sent me forms that I had to complete and fax back to them. One of which needed to be completed by my Dr.'s office and returned to Prudential (faxed) and they notified me of approval and auto payments were set up. For EDD... You won't get a notice, you have to apply online:

State Disability Insurance (SDI) Online

You register, then log in and complete your application. They will then give you a claim/application number (I don't remember the actual term) but you then have to request your Dr.'s office to complete the Physician's statement (which they can also do online, you just need to give them that claim number you were issued with your application) and once they do that you will receive confirmation and they will send you the notice to confirm your income for the eligibility period. If you disagree with it you can dispute it... if you agree, they will then send you a SDI Debit card where they will automatically deposit your money. It's a Bank of America card and once you have it issued you visit the Bank of America EDD card site. You can choose to keep the funds on that card and use it as you would any debit card or you can set it up to have the funds automatically routed to your checking or savings account. My application for CA Disability took all of 2 days for approvals, etc...but it took maybe 5 to get my first payment. Which depending on what day of the week your leave started may be just a small payment. Mine ended up for only 1 day... LoL.

Anyway, hope that helps... and IDK how it will be affected by the shutdown? It may be automated... unless there is some issue with your claim. Either way, I would get it submitted ASAP.
Rosiegirl7 likes this.

October 2nd, 2013, 01:06 PM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok thanks for the info! I received the confirmation of what I will receive, I did not dispute it, so I guess the next step is waiting for my SDI Card? How long does that take because I got that notice a week and a half ago? And they retroactively pay from the beginning of my leave correct?
October 2nd, 2013, 02:38 PM
Super Mommy
I am so fed up with the government as well. Regardless of which side of the fence you find yourself, the only way to successfully run the country and keep us moving forward is to listen and work with the other side. You can't constantly be one sided on every single issue, it just is not realistic. It's pathetic they've shut it down. Really? Even if those responsible for the shut down had to do without, they still wouldn't fully understand because they are not living paycheck to paycheck like most Americans...
Druslady96 likes this.
October 2nd, 2013, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiegirl7 View Post
Ok thanks for the info! I received the confirmation of what I will receive, I did not dispute it, so I guess the next step is waiting for my SDI Card? How long does that take because I got that notice a week and a half ago? And they retroactively pay from the beginning of my leave correct?
What does your status say on the EDD site? Did your Dr. already complete the necessary info and submit? I received a confirmation email from my Dr. that they did it the same day I asked them to. Yes, they retro pay... but I got my card within a couple days after receiving the confirmation letter. Check your messages on the EDD site and see if there is anything pending maybe? I'm surprised your haven't gotten your SDI card yet. Just checked the EDD site and I believe I started the process on sept 24th, it was authorized on the 25th and received my card on the 30th or maybe yesterday. There is a 7 day hold period... so 7 days after my first day off was when they started the pay. But I think in the FAQs it says to call if you haven't received it in 10 days.

"I called SDI and was told a benefit payment was issued to me, but I have not received it. What should I do?
If the benefit payment is the form of a check, please allow 10 days from the date the check was issued for postal delivery or return of a check.

If it has been over 10 days since the check was issued, contact SDI. SDI will investigate to determine if your check has already been cashed and, if it has, will request that you receive a copy of the check and endorsing signature. If the signature is yours, no further action will be required. If the endorsement is not yours, contact SDI for further instructions.

If the benefit payment is being issued to your EDD Debit CardSM account, you should expect to receive it in no more than five business days. If it has been over five days since the benefit payment was issued, contact SDI."
Rosiegirl7 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search