food during labor

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 6th, 2013, 01:27 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know hospitals wont allow you all to eat, and a lot of you probably have no desire to eat during labor, but if you could and or wanted to eat what would you eat?
I'm not talking about all the stuff you miss eating and are going to have after baby arrives, but what would be appetizing to you (if anything) while you are IN labor?
I have no idea why this seems so hard for me to figure out, but I'm supposed to have things on hand for my home birth so I can keep up my energy... the only thing at this point that sounds at all apetizing is cheese and crackers...

October 6th, 2013, 01:53 PM
allysmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would probably want something like chips and salsa....that seems like a good go to food for me, but very mild salsa. Or french fries. I know neither of which are healthy, but it sounds good!!!

October 6th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Idk why but ice cream during labor sounds good to me..something really decadent like Reese's peanut butter or Snickers ice cream!
allysmomma likes this.
October 6th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiegirl7 View Post
Idk why but ice cream during labor sounds good to me..something really decadent like Reese's peanut butter or Snickers ice cream!
I've never been much of an ice cream person, but this lactose intolerant crud i've gone through this pregnancy makes it sound really good!! I just hope I don't stay that way or baby doesn't come out like that!!!

October 6th, 2013, 02:18 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
Actually while i was in labor someone got me a turkey sandwhich...god i wanted it so bad i was joking the entire time that i was my focal point, even while pushing id say "doin this for the sandwhich" a few times.
i ended up eating it a few days later but i so could have eaten during labor because i ate dinner at 7:30pm and didnt get to eat again till 11am ish...
slmehaffey and Wanta.number2 like this.
October 6th, 2013, 02:21 PM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had no desire to eat anything lol so nothing sounds good while in labor to me! lol I hadn't eaten since 12pm the 24th and had baby 2:16 am the 25th and STILL didn't eat until they went around 8am that morning with Breakfast. lol

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}

Forever missing my Mom...
October 6th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Super Mommy
Nothing really. My hospital allows you to eat popsicles so I ate several of those.
October 6th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Leah
I'd think something with carbs. That stuff always seems to stick to my belly. French fries are such a go to (just sent SO to get some Arby's in fact). I love me some ice cream too, but it would depend on if I felt I could take the sugar. A combo of everything is. Y feel like crap go to.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
October 6th, 2013, 02:51 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have to plan out snacks too for the birth center. I'd like a variety of things around, but am focusing on protein and something cool/ refreshing. Right now my list is: almonds, peanut butter crackers, luna/ cliff bars, popsicles, gateraide, and simple turkey sandwiches cut in half. Who know what you will actually be in the mood for at the time, so a variety of things would be good to have on hand.

October 6th, 2013, 03:19 PM
mama2ladybugs's Avatar Super Mommy
I didn't have an appetite for anything either time. I did eat ice chips like crazy when I went in to have Vivian. But that was more because I suddenly became really nauseated and they actually did help the nausea, although I don't know why. haha. I laid there eating them like they were going out of style until they came in and told me I was having a c-section and then I cried for half an hr. LOL.

Thank you Babydoll213 for my beautiful siggy
October 6th, 2013, 03:32 PM
You guys keep mentioning turkey sandwiches....I have never craved a deli turkey sandwich more in my life than I have this pregnancy....Do you not worry about the listeriosis or is it okay at that point to eat it? Eating would be the best thing about home birth!!

October 6th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Veteran
My hospital and midwife encouraged me to eat anything that sounded good. I ordered a quesadilla but it was for my husband. I ate a few bites of watermelon and fruit but that was a BIG mistake. I had some awesome watermelon scented projectile vomit water while trying to push a few hours later. So my advise is eat something you don't mind puking.
slmehaffey likes this.

October 6th, 2013, 04:35 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
I would say granola bars, crackers, banana, broth, OJ or water. I am gonna pack those..
October 6th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Cheese and crackers, bananas, granola bars, I think might sound good. Pack a little of everything cause you don't know what you'll be in the mood for. I had a chicken salad sandwich when I was in early labor (before I even knew I was, must have been around 4 cm) but once it got really painful I didn't think about food at all, not until much later that night.
& Henry Joseph- born 10/15/13
8 lbs 10 oz and 22" long

October 6th, 2013, 05:20 PM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
I would probably love chips with my homemade guacamole.

October 6th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I made peanut butter energy bites (recipe in the recipes forum). I have a special cheese and crackers, granola bars, rice cakes, fruit leather, and mixed nuts. I' also have gatorade and I froze some gatorade ice cubes to suck on if I feel like it. I think I'm pretty well set! Who knows what I'll feel like though.
October 6th, 2013, 06:04 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
so what I ended up with in the basket is some ritz crackers (I'll slice up some cheese to go with it later and keep it in the fridge) fruit and grain bars and chocolate chip chewy granola bars... and then since I'm home I'll have whatever is in my fridge and cupboard as back up if I don't feel like eating those things but still want to eat.
and for allysmama, I totally eat whatever I want to eat... I know I should worry about all the diseases that I could get from the foods, but I rarely want a deli meat sandwich anyway so if it crosses my mind to eat one I just do. DH hates it but I eat cookie dough too, and occassionally (though VERY rarely) I will bite a raw hotdog too...

mizza gateraid ice cubes sound great! I might have to steal that idea from you. I do have two bottles of juice in my basket, though I'm not much of a juice drinker my midwife put it on the list of things to put in the basket so I did.
mizza411 likes this.

October 6th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Steal away
October 6th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Veteran
I'm glad some other people are thinking about food. I eat. A lot. And when I don't, I crash hard! So I feel like I am going to have to eat something in labor., And if not during, something substantial immediately after. My husband keeps laughing at me, because I'm convinced I'll deliver right after the hospital kitchen closes, and they say they have sub sandwiches on hand, but that's the only food that I truly dislike in life! So, he promised me that he would run to the 24 hour grocery store down the street and get me whatever I wanted if I want something.
One of the nurses mentioned honey stix, so I got a bunch of those... seems like it would give you the calories/energy you might need, but won't give your stomach much to throw up... I thought it's a good idea.
slmehaffey likes this.
October 6th, 2013, 06:45 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I was allowed to eat, they brought all my meals while I was being induced. Of course by heavy labour I had ZERO interest in eating though and DH ate it instead, haha.

If I had a choice I would choose something easy to digest and nutritious. Toast with PB or something.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search