Darn bilirubin...

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 20th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Julie
WE Were just about to be discharged when they got Joshua's bilirubin levels back-too high, so he has to go under the lights overnight at least. They told me I could stay for a little while since they didn't need the room right away, but it's not like I can take him out and hold him when I feel like it, and my milk has not come in yet, so I feel he will get more to eat if I let them supp with formula, thus getting rid of the bilirubin faster. I'm not happy about them giving him a bottle, but hopefully he's better by tomorrow morning and we will just pick up where we left off breast feeding.

October 20th, 2013, 02:50 PM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aww poor little fella! I hope things improve soon! *hugs*
October 20th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry! Alaric's levels were a little high, but we didn't need the lights. I was stuck in the hospital for a week with my daughter. It was hard not to be able to cuddle her.
October 20th, 2013, 03:21 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
Awww..hugs!! Same thing here but for 2 days and nights. It was very hard seeing my dd so uncomfortable, but the formula made her feel better. Can you give a syringe instead?
October 20th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Boo, sorry to hear that Hope you get your little man home soon.
October 20th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry.
October 20th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Julie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wren View Post
Sorry! Alaric's levels were a little high, but we didn't need the lights. I was stuck in the hospital for a week with my daughter. It was hard not to be able to cuddle her.
A week?? Now I'm more worried. Why did it take so long for your daughter? I already broke down crying halfway through dinner tonight. I just want my baby home.
As far as a syringe, I didn't think about that and they didn't mention it as an option. I'm using this manual pump just to make sure I get my milk in and it's way too small and is causing me quite a bit of pain ugh.

October 20th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Maenfayne's Avatar Veteran
The hospital should have a pump you can use such as the medela symphony. It's meant for multiple users and is completely hygienic to share. It will work sooooo much better than a hand pump so your milk is more likely to come in and come in stronger. Ask your nurse or request a lactation consult. Btw it should be FREE while your baby is admitted.

Or... Will they let you bf as well as supplement with formula? That way you and baby get the practice, baby gets the breast milk benefits, and your body produces more, and of course the formula helps flush the bilirubin. Just a thought, hope it helps.

10.03.13 8lbs 11oz 21 inches
Excuse my typos, there is either a baby on my boob or sleeping in my arms

Thank you *sharon* for my adorable siggy

October 21st, 2013, 01:49 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
man, that stinks! But an end's in sight. Good luck! KUP! Fingers are crossed for you guys
October 21st, 2013, 06:45 AM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irshtripletsmommy View Post
A week?? Now I'm more worried. Why did it take so long for your daughter? I already broke down crying halfway through dinner tonight. I just want my baby home.
As far as a syringe, I didn't think about that and they didn't mention it as an option. I'm using this manual pump just to make sure I get my milk in and it's way too small and is causing me quite a bit of pain ugh.
Mine had it pretty bad apparently and like I said it was only 2 days so don't freak please! I think I ended up only giving like 30 ccs (like an oz) of formula too, so if you're giving more the lo should hopefully get better sooner! It's so scary seeing them under those lights
And Maefayne should be right - they should have an electric pump although it really did nothing for me - I don't think I had the patience since my lo was crying, but I was able to keep the supplies!

*Maenfayne, sorry. Jm is being dumb and wont let me edit.
October 21st, 2013, 07:02 AM
Veteran
My first was under a light for a week BUT we were able to rent one from a medical supply store. I wonder if this would be an option for you?

October 21st, 2013, 07:08 AM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry you have to deal with this! Alexis was in the hospital 2 weeks after she born and it was the worst, hope he feels better soon!!

We also had to keep an eye on Jude's levels too... which is partly a reason why we went to FF. Because after fighting him already to nurse I didn't want his levels to get higher with him not getting what he needed. Hope you are able to continue BF!

October 21st, 2013, 10:40 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irshtripletsmommy View Post
She was born at 36 weeks, had bruising from the vacuum extractor, and I had cholestasis, so that all may have contributed.
October 21st, 2013, 06:29 PM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh no! I'm so sorry Julie Aurora was in the hospital for Jaundice for 56 hours. She was lethargic and it was "bad" according to the doctors. It just depends on how well baby responds to the light therapy. I hope it's just a super quick stint and your precious babe is out quicker than you imagine. It's hell being away from your child or even being with them while they're in the hospital. If you need to vent, I'm here to listen.

As far as the pumping and pain goes, those funnel thingies for your boobs so you can pump (I hope that makes sense. I dunno what else to call them) that your nipples go in, are you saying those are too small which is causing it to hurt? They have different size funnel thingies and this might be TMI but when I used them, I had to use the bigger ones or my nipples went to the size of silver dollars, hurt like heck and just over all made it 10 times harder to WANT to pump. Medea symphony electric pumps are usually provided in the hospital for you to use while there. It helps to turn it on a super low setting to start off with then gradually increase speed. I hope I'm not over stepping any boundaries by giving you any of this information. Just trying to help. Have no shame if you just can't do it and want to formula feed though or end up formula feeding. Your baby is getting nutrients either way and that's what's most important in my opinion.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
October 21st, 2013, 06:45 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Oh no! Hoping for your sake that all goes well and you get him home and nursing again ASAP

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)

Last edited by joonzgurl; October 21st, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
October 22nd, 2013, 07:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hope he gets to come home soon! Hugs, mama. That must be tough.
& Henry Joseph- born 10/15/13
8 lbs 10 oz and 22" long

October 22nd, 2013, 10:31 AM
Julie
Thanks for the support ladies! he came home yesterday thank goodness. I barely got any sleep last night since he's feeding a lot, but on the bright side he had no problem switching right back to bfing It's really dumb, but the nurses told me that if the lactation consultant is not in the office she locks all the breast pumps up and stuff and they aren't allowed to have a key! How ridiculous is that? So she wasn't there that day and I couldn't use their pump or rent one or anything. I have .four Other kids at home so staying there to bf foR the whole time wasn't an option. I figured that he would get better faster anyway if the nurse were to just him out of the lights and quickly give him a bottle.

October 22nd, 2013, 10:55 AM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aw yay! So glad he's home and doing so well now!

Hope you are able to get some rest!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search