Breast feeding - for BTDT

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2013, 12:08 PM
Veteran
So I know there is a million philosophies, but instead of weeding through all of the books people have given me and stressing out, I want to make this simple and easy. So far, so good breast feeding. But I'm curious about a few things:

1. Do you believe you should wake a baby for a feeding if it's been more than 3 hours? Ada seems to like sleeping longer, so it ends up 4 hours from her last feeding occasionally. I don't think I should wake her up if she's peaceful?
2. Do you use a strict feeding schedule or feed on demand? When did he/she start sleeping through the night?

Thanks for the advice!
October 21st, 2013, 12:15 PM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
I can't BF this time around, but I never woke DS or Gage in the first few days, no need in my opinion if they sleep an extra hour.. also, I always fed on demand. DS slept through the night pretty much from the beginning. He was a few weeks old. Right now, Gage is getting up every 3 or 4 hours, but it really depends on the baby.
October 21st, 2013, 12:17 PM
Jackie1122's Avatar Veteran
What I have always been told is that once baby has regained birth weight and is having plenty of wet and dirty diapers, there is no need to wake them up to eat. This usually happens when they are around 2 weeks old. Before that, it is important for babies to eat every 2 to 3 hours to ensure you build an adequate milk supply and they are getting plenty to eat.

Personally, I feed on demand. Feeding on a schedule might work for some but my son likes to cluster feed randomly so it has never worked for me. He does seem to have himself on a night time schedule though. I can always count on him waking up for feedings at midnight, 3am, and 6am.
October 21st, 2013, 01:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am a FTM, but agree with Jackie, I always woke my lo to feed while he was gaining back his birth weight. He seemed to like to feed every 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours though, so it was never really a problem. My boobs start to get full and sore after about 2 hrs now.

Not sure about the sleeping through the night thing though, we're not there yet!
October 21st, 2013, 01:23 PM
Super Mommy
I've always fed on demand. The only time I'd wake them is if it's been longer than 4 hours or so.
October 21st, 2013, 01:29 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I only feed on demand. I will wake them if they slept all night or 7-8 hours. In the beginning, mine usually do not go more than 5. During the day they normally go 3-4 on their own.
October 21st, 2013, 01:51 PM
east to west coast's Avatar ~Melissa~
I bf'd my daughter for 20 months.

Regarding your questions, I only woke her to feed her until she gained back weight to get to her birth weight.

And, I fed her on demand the entire time I nursed her.

Thank you, MommaDucks, for my lovely siggy
October 21st, 2013, 02:17 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I feed on demand but I will wake a newborn who has been asleep for 4 hours to nurse. My son had difficulty gaining weight and that is probably why I would wake them. If my first had been a baby that chunked up fast maybe I wouldn't think that way.

October 21st, 2013, 02:17 PM
JeCaLe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto everybody else. I feed on demand, and let them sleep as long as they want as long as they are gaining, although I have never had any sleep longer than a 4 hour stretch.

October 21st, 2013, 02:31 PM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm waking to feed at night, after 3 hours until he is back to his birth weight.
During the day I'm trying to feed him every 2 hours (hoping that helps him sleep at night by getting more feeds in during the day).

In general though, we feed on demand.
October 21st, 2013, 03:33 PM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I also feed on demand and I "don't wake the sleeping baby"

When we were not sure about his abnormal blood work I was given strict order to not let him go more than 2 hours between feedings. We are thankfully okay on that front so no worries to do that.

October 21st, 2013, 05:03 PM
Veteran
Glad to hear there's others who won't wake the baby. All the books I've read make it sound pretty strict, and I don't really think it's necessary if she's eating enough to be gaining and seems satisfied. I thought I would get some experienced input though!
October 21st, 2013, 05:33 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I've always fed on demand with my first, I had to wake her at first because we had weight gain problems. Then waking her was never an issue because she never slept longer than 2-3 hours anyways.

She STTN at 16 months when we night weaned. The method for night weaning that I used is not recommended before 12 months.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
October 22nd, 2013, 04:48 AM
Julie
I feed on demand. Depends on if baby is gaining weight well or if baby is very young. If it's just one extra hour then no I won't wake him. My last child started sleeping for longer stretches at night at about 3 months.

October 22nd, 2013, 04:54 AM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I feed on demand, so long as baby is gaining weight like it should be. If your baby seems happy, is gaining weight and likes to sleep 4 hours in a row why mess up a good thing?
as for sleeping through the night I didn't expect much from my kids until they were about 4-6 months old and then I would start pressuring them to space out their feedings. Like they'd wake up and I'd go in and comfort them but not feed them for about 5 minutes then after doing that for a week they started waking up 5 minutes later... worked for me and didn't make me have to listen to them scream for too long either.

October 22nd, 2013, 07:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
1- I really think this depends on the individual baby and situation. I was told to wake him by the nurses to make sure he is gaining enough and won't develop jaundice. I have to admit by night 2 at home he slept 4-5 hours and I didn't wake him. However he is a big baby (8 lbs 10 oz at birth and only lost 2 oz in the hospital and I can SEE him gaining in his face etc, plus his weight check showed he was already within a 1/2 oz of his birth weight) and my babies are fast gainers. My first DS gained his birth weight back I believe within 48 hours and chunked out VERY fast. He was off the chart for weight at his one month appt. So, in my case no I let sleeping babies lie. But if I had babies who took a long time to gain? You bet I would.

2- I always feed on demand. I admit a schedule would be nice but my older DS never took to one and this seems to be doing the same. I let them eat when they're hungry, breast milk is digested very quickly. Also they cluster feed when they are going through a growth spurt.

3- My oldest didn't STTN until he was close to 2 years old, but every child/baby is different. By the end though he was only waking up once per night or so and going right back to sleep after I comforted him a little. He slept in our bed quite a bit so again, it varies by family. I needed my sleep and it was much easier to comfort him/nurse him without getting out of bed.

I nursed my oldest for 25 months.
& Henry Joseph- born 10/15/13
8 lbs 10 oz and 22" long

October 22nd, 2013, 09:40 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We feed on demand, the only way I would wake up a sleeping baby to feed is because they were having weight gain problems. Since none of my kids have had weight gain issues I let them sleep and feed them when they want.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

October 22nd, 2013, 09:58 AM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I feed on demand, no schedule, though we actually are pretty in sync right now at night time. She tends to eat at 11, 2:30, 5:30, and 8:30. The first night she came home, she slept for a whole 6 hours and there was no waking her to eat! She made up for it though by eating every hour for the next 5 hours after that. I personally will not wake a sleeping baby either... Sawyer almost always had a really good 5 hour initial sleep stretch and I let him! He gained very well once my milk came in last time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search