Induction - cervidil or cytotec?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2013, 03:44 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Anyone have any experience, info, or opinions on the topic? I don't believe at this time I'm far enough along for straight pitocin.
October 21st, 2013, 04:25 PM
Veteran
NO CYTOTEC!!! The manufacturer of the drug specifically says NOT to use it for induction becuase of risk of death to mother & fetus. Read this: The Freedom to Birth

The only FDA approved cervical ripener is Cirvidil.
Team Green turned Team Blue, October 25th 2013
October 21st, 2013, 04:29 PM
This journal article says that the cytotec, when used at the correct dosage, is more effective than cervidil: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/712295_1 but that both do the job effectively. The difference in price is a big deal, imo.
October 21st, 2013, 04:39 PM
Veteran
Can't read medscape. It's a very personal decision obviously, but I wouldn't use a drug in a way the manufacturer specifically says not to. Especially because of the severity of the side effects. That's me. Like any medical decision you'll have to decide what is best for you and your child
slmehaffey likes this.
Team Green turned Team Blue, October 25th 2013
October 21st, 2013, 04:43 PM
Totally! I appreciated the article and read it all, believe me. I am really on the fence about what road to take and hoping that I just go into labor and can avoid it entirely
mizza411 likes this.
October 21st, 2013, 04:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's totally your call, but after watching The Business of Being Born I wouldn't recommend it personally: The Dangers of Cytotec - Pregnancy, Parenthood & Playtime

I have no personal experience with this though. Best of luck making your decision!
east to west coast likes this.
October 21st, 2013, 04:52 PM
I think it's likely that I'm trying to find anything to replace the thousand dollar cervidil because **** is that expensive or what?! But I don't want to do anything that would be harmful to baby or to me - my midwife has successfully used cytotec for many years but our hospital defaults to cervidil - you have to request other things when you get induced. But they'll do whatever you want, so I don't feel pressured one way or another.
October 21st, 2013, 04:58 PM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it was cervidil that was used on me for both my inductions. It worked really fast for me both times, and I totally avoided needing anything else during my second induction. No experience with the other one though. Good luck I hope you go on your own!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

October 21st, 2013, 05:00 PM
Veteran
I'm sure you've already tried this, but go for a few mile hike/stroll. Then hopefully you can avoid induction. Also, I'm sure you're uncomfortable, but unless there is noticeable harm to the baby, it doesn't hurt to wait longer. I have a friend who was supposed to be induced the morning of 42 weeks - she went into labor at midnight the night before on her own and had the baby an hour before her scheduled induction Good luck. Crossing my fingers you don't have to bother with induction!
east to west coast likes this.
October 21st, 2013, 05:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I really hope you go on your own!! Sending you tons of labour vibes tonight. xx
October 21st, 2013, 05:36 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I don't have experience with cytotech personally I had cervadil. You are paying out of pocket I take it?

I agree that if baby is happy in there and your care provider is ok with it maybe you could wait a couple more days?

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
October 21st, 2013, 05:42 PM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I had a very bad experience with cervidil. I say that crap is the devil. It started me having contractions right away that hurt and went on to piggy back, one would be going away as another was coming and then the stupid thing inside was hurting like burning and pinching feeling. I begged them to take it out. Finally after 12 very long hours they took it out. It didn't progress me at all.

I explained this to my doc this time around with Hunter and said I was not okay with it given what had happened before. He said he understood and given that he would break my water if I was dilated just a little. Obviously we didn't get to the induction date but I was feeling much better after him saying that.

Can you ask if they can just break your water? If they can sweep you that makes me think that they could get in there to break your water.

October 21st, 2013, 05:45 PM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
*Lurking from June 2013 Playroom*

I had a cytotec slurry and it worked great for me. My OB specifically told me "you'll read a lot of scary stuff about cytotec, but when it's given at a low dose orally instead of vaginally it's very, very safe." I checked into the hospital the night before my due date, and got the slurry every two hours orally. By the third dose I had regular contractions, and by morning I was at 4cm without any other sort of intervention.

The dosage and route matter a lot with drugs like cytotec. Hope that helps!
soul_donut likes this.

October 21st, 2013, 05:48 PM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They used Cytotec on me and it did it's job and LO and me are fine. I didn't have much time to research it but we didn't have any scary side effects it anything. The hospital we were at is very reputable and I trusted them. Obvi it's better for your own body to start the process but in my experience Cytotec wasn't bad at all.
October 21st, 2013, 05:48 PM
JeCaLe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbears View Post
I had a very bad experience with cervidil. I say that crap is the devil. It started me having contractions right away that hurt and went on to piggy back, one would be going away as another was coming and then the stupid thing inside was hurting like burning and pinching feeling. I begged them to take it out. Finally after 12 very long hours they took it out. It didn't progress me at all.
I had the same experience with cervidil with them piggy backing and not doing much, as well as a clash between cervidil with the epidural. As soon as the cervidil came out my blood pressure returned to normal and I was find the rest of the time.

This time around, I was already a 4 so we went straight to pitocin and it was so much better.

October 21st, 2013, 06:37 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No experience here but I also had a friend that showed up to her induction already in labor. I'm praying for you girl!

October 21st, 2013, 07:26 PM
For those with cytotec - was it ingested orally, through IV, or placed near the cervix?
October 21st, 2013, 07:36 PM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a pill into the cervix. Depending on where you are in labor I think the method varies. I was on my way into labor so I got the minimum dose and I had a choice on the pitocin or not after cytotec kicked in.

Everything happened so fast so I didn't even know what it was and I should have been like you and researching these induction methods but to be honest my labor was long but really not too bad. Baby's heart rate and everything was fine the entire time. I wouldn't worry too much about it, hospitals wouldn't use it if it's known to cause severe effects.

Wish you the best of luck! When's your induction scheduled again?
October 21st, 2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks Rosie!

It's supposed to be tomorrow at 8pm. I have to call around 6 to see whether they are still open to do it. I sure hope they aren't full or something - I'd be a little heartbroken. We'll see!
October 21st, 2013, 09:52 PM
Leah
My doctors never mentioned Cystotec, only Cervidil and only if I showed up dilated to a 1-2cm. If I was dilated past 2 and effaced, they'd skip that part of the induction completely and go straight to Pitocin.

A friend of mine had Cervidil at 41+ weeks and it started her labor. She didn't have any issues. That'sthe only aanecdotal evidence I've got with either.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search