Monday Chat

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 28th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasaidh View Post
Alasdair is finally starting to give me a break - we've had a few good nights in a row! I'm not out of the woods yet, but I'm sooooo grateful for what I've got - I no longer feel desperate with exhaustion, and that's huge.

We've been co-sleeping and I figured out that he likes a combination of being on me and being... not on me to sleep. At first he couldn't sleep at all stationary - he needed to be walked around, driven around, in his swing, etc. Then for a week or so I tried sleeping with him on my chest and that worked better but he was still having restless nights and keeping me awake. Lately I've been cuddling up to a pillow on my side and nestling him so that his weight is on the pillow and he is right up against my chest. It makes it really easy to dream-feed him, it's super comfy for me (esp. when I put a pillow between my knees) and he sleeps really well like that so far *knock on wood*. I'm just trying to figure out how to stop us from getting so warm while we sleep that way, but otherwise it's pretty perfect. I just hope it keeps working.

He's up 3 lb since birth and still pigging out, so there's no end in sight. I just do breast feeding or pumping depending on what I need at the time and so far it's working. I have some formula as a back-up in case of disasters, but we just keep trucking and haven't needed it at all.

I'm happy to report that I've been truly loving my job as his mommy - he's making it easy for me so far and taking care of him has been very rewarding. I've been having a lot of anxiety, but the blues have been making only guest appearances. I am deeply thankful that he's healthy and that things are going well, and I only hope that they continue on this trend.
Did you cosleep with your other kids? As crunchy as I am I had no plans to cosleep. I can barely sleep in the same bed as DH, I'm a light sleeper. BUT this baby has other ideas and the only way she will sleep the second half of the night is while touching me. I am so worried about nursing her to sleep and letting her sleep at my side. Are there things you do while cosleeping to keep the baby safer? When I google safety and cosleeping all I get is SIDS SIDS SIDS.
mizza411 likes this.

October 28th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lauren, I cosleep since my lo refuses to be put down. Without letting him cio I would never sleep. So, I do a few things:
- Pillow behind my back so I can lean back while on my side (I ordered a custom pillow for this, but a regular pillow works too)
- I tie my hair back
- No blankets higher than waist height
- His head rests on my arm and feeds so if anyone (dh) or anything (pillows/blankets) start encroaching on his space I wake up immediately.

It's position #4 here: 6 Breastfeeding Positions worth a try « Momzelle Breastfeeding Blog

Other side lying positions have the mom's arm up above the babies head, but I feel like I can't control where his head/nose is enough when my arm isn't under his head, so I don't like it, personally.

I am a good sleeper without him, and move around a lot, but when he's in my arms I sleep and wake up in EXACTLY the same position, so I haven't ever felt uncomfortable with it.

I also read a ton on it and feel like not sleeping versus safe co-sleeping made my decision easy. Here's an interesting article: http://www.naturalchild.org/james_mc...cosleeping.pdf

I would never recommend it if you don't feel comfortable with it, you have to make the choice that's right for you. Good luck!
October 28th, 2013, 05:08 PM
"Shay-see"
Lauren;

I echo a lot of what Mizza said. When I have the baby with me, I sleep differently. I don't roll even a little - I even wake up to adjust my head position, and I wake at the slightest sound or movement from the baby. I also have observed his suffocation reflex - it's really strong (I accidentally let my boob cover his nose once while I was dozing off in a chair - i was sooo tired - and he flung himself back so hard he almost fell off my lap. He had been sleep-feeding up until then).

What I do would probably get me yelled at by most doctors, but it works for me and honestly his breathing is no more obstructed the way we sleep than it is when he's in the ergobaby, but at least sleeping in the bed gets me to - you know - sleep. ...which is good for both of us since i'm the one who has to take care of him most of the time.

In a big way, I've had to just shut out the worry and the warnings and follow my instincts. I've *tried* to become okay with putting him in the crib while I sleep since we came home and my mind just won't accept it. I've done it once or twice recently so I think that I'm starting to shift - but for the most part something inside me simply craves his closeness while we sleep, and so I do what my biology tells me.

Like Mizza, I would never tell anyone else to do it; this is a decision that has to come from within you.
mizza411 likes this.
October 28th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks girls! I feel so aware of Tessa when I sleep but DH doesn't think that is possible. I think he just isn't a mom.
mizza411 likes this.

October 28th, 2013, 08:13 PM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We co sleep about half the night. He starts out in his sleep and play and his first time he wakes up during the night for a feeding I pull him into bed and he sleeps next to me with my arm above him. He gets almost half the bed and Dh and I share the other half, lol! And ditto with the blankets. We sleep with only 2 light fleece like blankets and they are never pulled up.

I'm also super aware with him when we sleep. I was the same with our girls. I figure pretty much every mother type species sleeps with their babies right next to them that maybe that's why there is that instinct?

Anyway, I also wouldn't recommend it unless you are super comfortable with it.

October 29th, 2013, 06:19 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We co sleep some nights too, half nights usually like others have said. I'm super aware of him, and don't move at all. He sleeps perfect next to his mama I co slept with my other 2 as well though so its not new.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search