Does your LO have Laryngomalacia?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SierraWinter

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 29th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Druslady96's Avatar Veteran
Hi all... I've been MIA since my little guy was born... I guess I need to work on timing still... LoL. Well my son's pediatrician said that he has laryngomalacia. I had never heard of it before but was concerned with how his breathing sounded when feeding or that he snores rather loud for a newborn. Well I ended up needing to nurse him at his appointment so I was able to show the Dr. how he whistles, wheezes, seems to struggle in his breathing when nursing. She gave me a hand out and said that it should clear up on it's own and out of all her patients she has only had to recommend surgery for 1 child. From reading online it could last 12-18 months! Even seeming to get worse as his airways grow. It's an underdevelopment of the larynx which causes it to be "soft" or "floppy" so when laying back or down it constricts some from it's own weight/gravity. It freaks me out... Have any of you dealt with this or are dealing with it? Does it really take a year+?

October 29th, 2013, 09:32 AM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Natania has all the same symptoms you mentioned but she's got pretty bad reflux (at least that's what the pedi is guessing from her symptoms). Some days worse than others, and she can have difficulty eating because she can't always breath at the same time (she takes a breath, I let her take a few swallows, then pull bottle away so that she can take a breath again). She whistles, wheezes, is raspy, gasps for air, gurgles, gargles and she snores when sleeping. If she lays flat milk comes back up the nose and mouth. Or sometimes out of no where her face turns beet red and she can't breath, pretty scary. I was told its from the muscle at the top of her stomach not being developed enough and they eventually outgrow this.

Now I'm curious, the symptoms between infant reflux and laryngomalacia sound the same. I just googled and read that 80-100% of infants with laryngomalacia have reflux. I'm going to have to ask my pedi to explain the difference. I wonder how they can diagnose between the two unless they do a scope?
Druslady96 likes this.
October 29th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Lily is really loud when she is awake and breathing. I even made a point to point it out to the pedi, and they said it was normal.
October 29th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes same here he's had all those symptoms, I asked our doctor and she said it sounded fine sometimes newborns are just loud breathers. I hope it's nothing to worry about for any of our sakes!
October 29th, 2013, 01:21 PM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We've had these symptoms at times here too, especially when hes eating. And I finds he chokes a lot.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

November 4th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraWinter View Post
Natania has all the same symptoms you mentioned but she's got pretty bad reflux (at least that's what the pedi is guessing from her symptoms). Some days worse than others, and she can have difficulty eating because she can't always breath at the same time (she takes a breath, I let her take a few swallows, then pull bottle away so that she can take a breath again). She whistles, wheezes, is raspy, gasps for air, gurgles, gargles and she snores when sleeping. If she lays flat milk comes back up the nose and mouth. Or sometimes out of no where her face turns beet red and she can't breath, pretty scary. I was told its from the muscle at the top of her stomach not being developed enough and they eventually outgrow this.

Now I'm curious, the symptoms between infant reflux and laryngomalacia sound the same. I just googled and read that 80-100% of infants with laryngomalacia have reflux. I'm going to have to ask my pedi to explain the difference. I wonder how they can diagnose between the two unless they do a scope?
Interesting. I had not heard of those symptoms for acid reflux but I did read about reflux being a complication of laryngomalacia (although I had forgotten thank you for the reminder.). But the symptom for reflux was spitting up/throwing up, etc... I'm going to ask the ped a little more about it at his appointment tomorrow. His face almost immediately turns beet red when he starts crying. Or sometimes it's like he wants to/tries to cry and can't so that freaks me out.
We will see what further insight the Dr. has tomorrow.

November 4th, 2013, 07:16 PM
So the pediatrician put a referral in for him to see the Ear, Nose and Throat Dr because of my concern with his breathing as well as the lactation consultant/RN to check how much he is getting when HE actually feeds instead of just going by my pumping amount. It actually ended up being pretty close. But she weighed him before I nursed him and then after each side. It was confirmed that I need to build up my milk supply and continue pumping. Then there ended up being a cancelation with the EN&T dept so I headed straight there. (spent 4.5 hrs at Dr. office today! FUN! <eyes rolling> LoL) That Dr. put a camera scope in his nose/down his throat and confirmed that he has laryngomalacia as well as bad acid reflux as his throat was red and irritated. Prescribed him reflux meds. This feeding stuff if exhausting. So I'm back to nursing, formula bottle feeding and pumping! That is until I can build up my milk and cut out the formula... and either just pump and bottle feed breast milk or hopefully he can nurse without too much breathing problems.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search