So! What do you do with a newborn?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes
  • 3 Post By QL1516
  • 2 Post By Orangebrittainy
  • 1 Post By ILoveStorm2011
  • 3 Post By Laurenj915
  • 1 Post By MrsHoot
  • 3 Post By Maenfayne
  • 1 Post By Spyctre
  • 1 Post By soul_donut

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 4th, 2013, 12:20 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Ok so between the feedings, burping, diaper changes, outfit changes, and occasional naps, there are times where the baby just kind of stares at me and I really wonder - what in the world are you supposed to do with a newborn? Lol. I have been singing and blabbering about whatever I'm watching or doing or thinking about, rocking him, maybe walking about with him, but it seems pretty boring. Is there anything else to do at this point?
November 4th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Haha I thought the same thing. I think what you're doing pretty much covers it. I showed my LO a mirror and he had no clue what he was looking at. Sometimes I give him things to grab and I put him on my chest and let him kick his legs for some exercise. He also enjoys going outside to get fresh air and look around.

The older they get the more activities you can do but yea I definitely thought the same thing when I was alone with my little man. He's probably like mom, chill with the singing I just want boobs and sleep and I'll be happy. Lol
November 4th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Leah
I've thought about the same thing. He's into lights, so we wander the house checking those out. Occasionally we watch some Beverly Hills 90210 (OG!) and Veronica Mars. I'm gonna get on this music thing because I realized I've sang "Dammit Janet" and the theme song for Veronica Mars to him, which are both awesome, but we need to expand on that awesomeness. We do have conversations, though I'm careful not to agree to anything just in case that "ehhgr" actually means "So, no curfews ever, right?" I plan to start reading to him as well, though I'm not sure what exactly. I was in a Stephen King mood, but didn't want to start his King experience with IT.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
November 4th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
Interrupting from Jan DDC. Tummy time, and Talking Talk to baby about everything. Tell him what you are doing while you do it. It feels funny at first, but its really important and will give baby a good language foundation. I am taking your diaper off, Now I am wiping your bottom, Here come's the powder..... Or another example, Do you see Mommy folding clothes. These are black pants. This is a yellow shirt I am going to hang it up. Its an early indicator for literacy success.

Also baby is never to young for stories, read books, lots of them, show baby the pictures. You actually don't have to read the words, you can just make up a story to go with the picture.

Show him different objects or pictures to look at, you can describe them to him. I think they are still at the stage where black and white patterns and other contrasting patterns are the most appealing.

You can spend the time lighting massaging baby, or turn on some music and see how baby reacts to the music.

Of course you don't need to pack every minute with activity. Babies need calm quiet times as well, and if you entertain during all the quiet times baby may not learn to entertain himself.
~*Nicole*~ and soul_donut like this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

November 4th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
William still sleeps or eats most of the day, lol.
When he has an awake period and my big kids aren't smothering him with kisses and fighting to hold him I just talk to him, or walk around outside. We have started doing tummy time when I remember.
In a few weeks I'll get out the baby gym and the baby mirror for floor time.
I used to read books to my first. Now he can listen when I read to the other kids.
November 4th, 2013, 12:57 PM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I bend and stretch Susan very gently. We do tummy time and she sits in her swing and I blow raspberries at her feet. I talk to her and walk with her all over the house. I tell her stories about how her Daddy and I met. She really loves just laying on my chest for skin to skin contact. Not much else just yet though...

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
November 4th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Veteran
So glad you asked - I was wondering the same, questioning that I'm not stimulating her enough. She seems pretty happy with a little less stimulation though. When we have visitors, she gets really wired and fussy later on and has trouble chilling out. I've just been babbling to her, trying to sing (but realize I don't know the words to any songs), and watching how cute she is. My sister just visited with a 9 month old, and boy is that different
November 4th, 2013, 03:13 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
Dude my baby was boring till like a month then BAM she saw/recognized me
Now I spend her awake time trying to get her to look at me or smile
Spyctre likes this.
November 4th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used to sing Sawyer lots of songs and read him books when he was a newborn. We also did a newborn mommy and me class. He liked to float in the pool or the tub so we did that all the time. With Tessa, I just try to remember where I set her down when Sawyer hits his head on the coffee table, needs help going potty, needs more rasins, is pulling te cats tail...

November 4th, 2013, 04:54 PM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was wondering this same thing, it gets pretty lame during the day I feel like he gets bored so easy and I'm not sure what else I can do! lol

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

November 4th, 2013, 05:16 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lauren I was thinking along those same lines! With Addi I did so much, now I am chasing her around and hoping that Atlas doesn't grow up with some syndrome from feeling left out. The good thing about him having a big sister 5 years older? She LOVES to talk to him, read to him, sing to him, you name it! When mama is needing to clean big sister entertains the baby.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

November 4th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We do lots of different things. Tummy time, stories, singing, talking, making faces, etc. He can get overwhelmed by too much, so sometime if he's awake and happy (which is rare!) I just let his look at things around him in his bassinette and that seems to entertain him. That gives me arms free time for 30 mins-ish a day to do what I need to do (dress, brush my teeth, eat).
November 4th, 2013, 06:36 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Enjoy this time, as a btdt mom speaking, because once they are mobile and can say no, it's a whole different world!!
soul_donut likes this.

November 4th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Maenfayne's Avatar Veteran
Enfamil has a free app called "amazing baby" It has activities to do with baby separated by age. It gives you ideas and tells you how to do them. Pretty cool if you're unsure how to interact at first.

10.03.13 8lbs 11oz 21 inches
Excuse my typos, there is either a baby on my boob or sleeping in my arms

Thank you *sharon* for my adorable siggy

November 4th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I play a few games with Lily. They are all expression games and mimicry. I stick my tongue out and wait for her to copy. She's good at that one. I try to get her to copy smiles, but right now that one is HARD! I had a good day the day before yesterday. Got 3-4 smiles. Today I got 1. I also try to get her to mimic other expressions, but no go as of yet.

I put her down in a chair to stare outside when I need to be busy. We do a lot of tummy time on my chest and sometimes my chair. Sometimes she just wants to be held. She's a lap baby in the making. She will cry the instant you put her down sometimes even if she is freshly fed, changed, and just woke up from a nap! So I hold her and watch Netflix during those times. (Dexter is on there now!)

I also help her stretch. =) Too much to do with all the chores I already have! lol
soul_donut likes this.
November 5th, 2013, 04:16 AM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
I talk to Daniel all the time and read and walk around the house and lay him down for tummy time ...when he's awake!
I seem to have a little night owl on my hands! LOL!

November 5th, 2013, 06:44 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Thanks for your suggestions! I read Dear Prudie to him yesterday and he was into it. I'll have to get some of his baby books down and start reading those to him. So far we've been camped out on the sofa and in my bedroom but as things start to regulate we have been going to his nursery to play and stuff. I'm DLing that amazing baby app now.

Glad he's not TOO bored with me yammering on in his face
Maenfayne likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search