gaining eniugh/feedingnokay?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Lemon
  • 1 Post By jennyrae03
  • 1 Post By mizza411
  • 2 Post By QL1516

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2014, 12:18 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
So I'm at this breastfeeding group and the lactation person kind of made me feel like this whole bfing thing won't last long the way I am going.
phe feeds ever two hours for 5-10 min each side. She got two oz at this meeting. At night she feeds a little longer and pasts about 4 at night though.
the lady said she should be going 6-8 hours at night. Yeah that's happened once. Lol
She said I should do tummy time and put her back on. Does anyone have any tips or encouragement? I want to keep going and I'm worried now that she's not gaining enough.
January 13th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think you are doing fine!
My oldest fed the same way. Super fast and frequent. Nothing wrong with that. It's more work for you, but if baby is gaining and happy, then I wouldn't worry.

Just keep offering the boob whenever she wants it.
soul_donut and QL1516 like this.
January 13th, 2014, 01:20 PM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Every baby is different, and what works for some women/babies does NOT work for all. If what you are doing works for you and your daughter, then who cares? You can't force her to eat any more than what she is. If she's hungry, she will keep eating.

Don't stress.
QL1516 likes this.
January 13th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
H feeds the same way! Unless your doc is worried about weight gain then don't let the lc worry you. She should be supporting you, shame on her!
QL1516 likes this.
January 13th, 2014, 01:33 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
Thanks ladies I was pretty confused. She gained over a lb (like 1 lb since about a month ago) so it didn't seem took little. Plus her teething and sickness and whatnot. I thought 6-8 hours sounded crazy for every baby. Especially mine lol
January 13th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Mine didn't consistently sleep that long till the 5-6 month mark. DD1 woke up every 2 hours for over a year, and DD2 came home sleeping 8 hours in the beginning. This one will usually go 5 hours, sometimes longer, but seriously, I'm only guaranteed 5 hours. Ignore her. You're doing great.

If baby is happy and gaining, you are great.
January 13th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My kids were/are chunkaroos and they eat every hour or two during the day and almost that frequently at night. I have a pretty low supply but my best friend who has an oversupply problem is a lac consultant and thinks I am lucky. I feed often and empty my breasts each time so my kids get the fatty hind milk every feeding (making them very fat). She has a ton of foremilk (basically skim milk) that her babies fill up on. She has skinny little boys.

I think as long as you baby is gaining normally you have nothing to worry about. I think that is true about most breastfeeding issues. I have had a few lac nurses tell me Tessa has a poor latch. Really.?? This kid is a chunker and seems to have no latch problems to me.

Last edited by Laurenj915; January 13th, 2014 at 04:56 PM.
January 13th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Leah
I think that lady can shove it. I agree with everyone here - each baby is different. For what it's worth I had one lactation nurse tell me babies didn't suckle for comfort, only hunger, pacis are bad shut-them-up-tools. She was super helpful every other way and I now say ****** puhleeze to that bit of education, but at the time it confused me and made me question my pov and what I was doing. My nipples thank me for not tossing the pacifiers and I'm sure your girl will thank you for feeding her when she's hungry.
Spyctre and mizza411 like this.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
January 14th, 2014, 07:46 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Only take advice that you ask for! Questions about your kid's weight should go to your doctor. If she's telling you when she's done and does the same thing consistently it sounds like that's what she wants to do and is healthy doing.
January 17th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Jackie1122's Avatar Veteran
I wouldn't worry unless your doctor is concerned. As long as baby is having plenty of wet diapers a day and gaining weight at a good pace, they are getting plenty to eat. The amount of time and frequency that a baby nurses does not matter, every baby is different. My son only nurses for 5 to 10 minutes at a time every 4 hours or so and sleeps all night, and he is over 16lbs and in the 98th percentile for weight! Some babies are just more efficient at nursing and others need to spend more time there to get their fill.

I used to work at a local WIC office and part of my job was to help new mothers in the hospital with breastfeeding. I came in contact with MANY lactation consultants. While they all have some good advice, I have noticed that each and every one of them have different opinions on EVERYTHING.

As for her saying your baby "should" be eating and sleeping a certain way, I disagree. Your baby is just that, a baby. She doesn't know when she is "supposed" to eat or wake up, she just does it when she feels the need to. I think you are doing a great job!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search