Ultimate Parent Fail

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Seasaidh

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2014, 02:47 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
Phoebe fell off the couch.
We had a communication error and I walked away for a second and I thought he would watch her. Next thing I hear crying and he's holding her. We don't know how she landed, but she seems okay. No bumps on her head and she's smiling and talking (well right now she's crying because she hasn't slept all day). I think we're just going to check her every two hours, but does anyone have any advice? I feel so horrible and I think I cried wayyy more than her!
January 17th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Jackie1122's Avatar Veteran
I am so sorry!I know I would be upset to, even though it was an accident of course What kind of flooring did she land on? My brother in law had a large gap between his headboard and mattress and his baby fell through it almost 4 feet and landed on the carpet. They were scared and rushed her to the hospital but she was fine. They were told to watch out for excessive sleepiness or unusual behavior. Not sure if that helps or not but try not to feel bad and remember that babies are very resilient at this age!

Last edited by Jackie1122; January 17th, 2014 at 03:11 PM.
January 17th, 2014, 03:21 PM
"Shay-see"
*hug* everyone makes mistakes - it's part of a learning process and it's totally normal to have something like this happen once.

I hope she's alright, and if I had to place a bet it would be that she is just fine - our species didn't evolve by being unable to withstand a bump or two.

That said if you see anything weird, it's okay to be "paranoid" about things like this. Check her pupils to make sure they are the same size and that they dilate properly when exposed to light, and do what you can to confirm she's her usual self. If she cries excessively or not enough (I know that's not super helpful but that's what they say), it's not a terrible idea to get her looked at.

And it probably wasn't a hard enough fall for this to be an issue, but just in case - clear fluid coming out of the nose is a sign of serious injury - it's waterier than snot and tastes sweet if it's CSF. Not to scare you, but I always mention that because a lot of folks don't know.
Spyctre likes this.
January 17th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Thank-you! That does help
She's sleeping a little now since she didnt sleep at all and I'm checked her but she seems fine - just my normal cranky baby.

It was on plush carpet and less than two feet, but I still just want to cuddle and hold her and cry all night
January 17th, 2014, 03:44 PM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm ashamed to admit this, seeing as Christian is my 3rd baby.... BUT he fell off the sofa while in my care at 2 months old and hit laminate flooring face first!! I was soooooooooooooooo upset, and felt SO HORRIBLE!! Took me days to recover I think. But he was perfectly OK!! THANK GOD! I just checked him lots when he slept, and checked all his body for any bruises, nothing. I still feel ASHAMED!!

Glad shes doing well, it happens!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

January 17th, 2014, 06:48 PM
BelloFiglioLA's Avatar LAH * CLH
My 3yo fell off the couch onto a hardwood floor when he was a few months old and he is perfectly fine today. Don't stress, they are more resilient than we think!

January 17th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Oh, gosh, after having three kiddos, I have lost count of tumbles and falls! More than likely, baby's ok. You just need to watch for a few things. If these happen, time to go to the ER.

1. Did your child lose consciousness? If not, that's good. If so, ER.

2. Any excessive swelling? If there's more than a slight bump, there could be a fracture. The swelling would be extremely obvious and severe.

3. Is the child suddenly vomiting? Definitely go in if so.

4. If your baby cries a bit, that's normal. If your baby is crying uncontrollably without stopping, that's not.

If there is not a lot of tears, no vomiting, baby is conscious, and there isn't a softball growing on the head, baby is probably fine. It's safe to let them sleep. If you are still concerned, make an appointment with the regular pedi the next morning. That was the advice I was always given.

A couple months ago I had laid a chair down, one with a soft back, on the floor by the Christmas tree to use as a little bed for Lily. So she could look at the lights and all while she laid there. My 21 month old(at the time) normally just sat by her and held her hand. I get up to walk 7 feet away for my glass of water, and she managed to knock the entire chair over to its side, rolling her poor baby sister almost a yard away within 2 seconds. We have laminate flooring. Only 2 months old, and the child already had her first tumble! Lesson learned. Never ever turn my back on my toddler with my baby EVER. I feel so silly for trusting the little booger! Called the nurse, Lily fit the safety checklist. Awake, not crying, no bumps at all, no vomiting. I asked about the pupils before, and they told me you can be concussed with normal pupils so they dismissed my question about it.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven.

http://arwenart.com
January 17th, 2014, 08:06 PM
Yeah none of that. She's fine I guess. I'm still hurt though
January 17th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I was so angry the first time one of mine fell. Off a bed. Who makes beds that freaking tall anyway? Really upset me a lot.

January 18th, 2014, 05:18 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It sucks, took me a while to recover from it!! LOL I still have flashbacks I think of the poor little bugger crying.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

January 18th, 2014, 06:00 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasaidh View Post

And it probably wasn't a hard enough fall for this to be an issue, but just in case - clear fluid coming out of the nose is a sign of serious injury - it's waterier than snot and tastes sweet if it's CSF. Not to scare you, but I always mention that because a lot of folks don't know.
Good to know!

January 18th, 2014, 06:51 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
oh dear! I am so sorry you had to go through that. Don't beat yourself up. Is she all happy and herself today?

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
January 18th, 2014, 12:00 PM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It happens. My 1st climbed out of her table chair at 6mths and went crashing to the floor. (I had yurned my back while preparing dinner. Hubby dropped her (over the bed) while he tried to put her inthe ergo. My 2nd rolled off the bed several times before he was 6 mths old. Twice in DHs care and 3 times in my moms care. Hate to admit this.... but ive dropped my cel on my 1st.

there was a woman on here who lost her 9 mth old...she pulled herself up and fell backwards. Normal height, normal fall. But she hiy her head in just the right spot and passed away. apparently it was a 1 in a million type thing. Super sad.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search