Cold weather recommendations

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2014, 12:18 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
We are going to a cold snowy place for a week's vacation (leaving florida and 75* temps seems crazy right now, lol) and I need help. I know I can't lug the big stroller there b/c 1. it's annoying and 2. icy snow streets wouldn't be good with the stroller anyway. We got a big bag to store the carseat and base in that will be a cross body bag in the airport. We will be bringing our Boba carrier, which DS finally is getting the hang of. Ok - so what do you ladies do when it gets cold? Do you dress the baby in a big snow suit and put him in the carrier over your coat? Under your coat? Regular warm clothes under a coat? Wrap the baby in a blanket? I want to know what to pack b/c I'd like to pack smart.. I'm having a bunch of diapers and wipes sent to the resort via Amazon to avoid having to find them in the grocery store. I know if I don't get some tips I'll end up panic packing and bring like 2 snowsuits and 2 carriers and all the fleece in the house, which I don't have room for in my luggage.

THANKS!

PS: We couldn't get the hang of the bottle! I might buy a sippy cup and see how that goes but it looks like unless my inlaws want to drive the baby down to the bottom of the mountain every two hours for me to breastfeed that I won't be able to ski. I pumped for 30 min and got ONE OZ last night. Arrrggg
February 18th, 2014, 12:48 PM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
When I carry Sophie in a her carrier I usually just put a blanket around her and tuck it in between us so that I don't have to hold the blanket on. We aren't usually outside much though in the carrier. I think if she were going to be outside for more than 10/15 minutes that I would just put her in her snowsuit in the carrier and put the carrier under my coat and kind of wrap it around her.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
February 18th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Finally something, I know about! lol. Here's what I do, living in Canada: I put him in the ergo carrier with the infant insert, on top of the infant insert and under baby is a muslin blanket, nice and big and light but super warm. Then I wrap the blanket around him and put him in the carrier, plus a hat. Then I wear a huge zip up sweater, which goes around the carrier and can zip up and over his head, but I usually just zip it up so it's not open on the sides and it open on the top and then put the clip cover over his head if it's windy or really cold, or leave it open if it's relatively nice. Then I wear my regular coat, open, over top of that (that's for my warmth!). He is always toasty warm when I take him out and it's gotten pretty cold here (-15 c)!

I find if he's next to me that he stays warmer than if I wear him on the outside. With the boba I'm not sure how it would work though. Are their arms and legs hanging out? If so, you probably want to do a snowsuit, in which case you might want to wear Ben on the outside. In this case I would bring mitts and booties too because their extremities would get cold. I just googled the boba and looks like you can tuck them into it. So, I would recommend what I do, wrap the baby in a blanket and tuck all extremities into the carrier, borrow a large zip up sweater from your husband and put that over the carrier, then your jacket. Because there's no flap that goes over their head in the boba, to keep the warm air in, I would recommend zipping it up over his head. Should be plenty warm with a hat. I don't even put gloves on Henry because he's wrapped in the blanket completely.

Last edited by mizza411; February 18th, 2014 at 01:00 PM.
February 18th, 2014, 01:46 PM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^^what she said. Although that's not what I DO, because I rarely wear Logan - when we are outside, he is always in his carseat with the cover over it, and to be quite honest I don't even own a snowsuit for him...bad mommy, I know. It's just that, like I said, I never have him out of his carseat when we are outside, and he's always got a blanket on him and then the cover over top of the seat. Anywho, if I were to wear him outside, I would do the blanket inside the carrier and then a hat on him.

As far as the feeding thing goes...do you have time between now and when you leave to keep trying the bottle? I would give it a try a few times a day, and see if he will get the hang of it. It's just something new and different for him, and I think we all can agree that babies aren't big fans of change - might just take several tries before he will take it. And for the pumping, I would keep trying that too...pump after each feeding for 10-15 minutes, and your body will realize that you need to make more milk. Pretty soon you'll be pumping enough for a bottle. It just takes a few days for your body to figure it out
February 18th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh, and try pumping earlier in the day, I failed at pumping at night. Now I pump one breast while he feeds from the other. Works like a charm.
February 18th, 2014, 02:00 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto on what mizza does and Natania stays pretty warm.
February 18th, 2014, 05:00 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
When I wear I just put a onsie, leggings, socks, a hat and a jacket over us both. Usually works for quick outside walks.
When I went snowboarding I just hurried down when she had to feed. My mom would just call, but there was only maybe max 30 min to get down and feed her.
February 18th, 2014, 06:51 PM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no advice as we just keep him in his carseat with his cover over it when outside in the cold as well. lol He owns a few snowsuits but has honestly barely worn any! (We hibernate in the winter )

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

February 18th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
You'd think us gals in the cold climates would actually own some cold weather clothing for our little ones haha. Truth is, babies are not to wear coats or snow suits in their car seats so it's kind of pointless to own them. Especially when you hate the cold as much as I do. We are rarely out in it. I do own one bunting that I bought for him thinking it would be thin enough to wear in his car seat & it wasn't. But it was nice when we went out on Halloween & I had him out in the snow in it the other day. But since he doesn't have a jacket he wore an imitation 80s jean jacket over top. But he was layered & kept warm. If you are going to be outside a lot, I'd get him a heavy baby coat & some warm pants. Or a bunting or snowsuit. If not water proof, dress in layers. Keep checking him to make sure he's not overheating! I have the tendency to overheat my poor kids.

February 19th, 2014, 03:12 AM
Veteran
My Addie fought the bottle for a LONG time so I feel your pain. None of the recommended tricks worked for us, I was so close to giving up. Here's what did work for me: everyday at one naptime I would nurse her until she was all but asleep and then pull the old switch aroo. For weeks it resulted in tears and a wide awake baby so I had to start the process of getting her back to sleep all over again but SLOWLY she got the hang of it. It still took awhile before DH could give her a bottle but she finally will take one from him too! Don't give up. I agree with the other ladies to try pumping earlier in the day if possible, your supply should be better.

February 19th, 2014, 11:14 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
These have been great suggestions. I pumped today after I fed him and he was napping and I got about 2.5 oz (both breasts). I'll just keep at it! I bought a sippy cup to transition from nursing to cups thinking maybe that'd work, because he doesn't like the Ameda bottles that come with the pump + dr brown nipples, and he only slightly likes the avent better. Plus we'll be with my MIL who can help be persistent with the bottle feeding - she has a way of inserting her will wherever she wants to, ha. Harness her powers for good and not evil on our vacation

I am going to pack a one piece snow suit and some thinner layers as well as his winter clothes + a peacoat with a blanket in his car seat. I didn't know you weren't supposed to use coats in the carseat.. makes sense. I am much more confident with our warmer climate.. though it'll be a chore to carry around a super sweaty hot baby for a lot of the year for the next couple years, between this kid and our next.

ETA: of course, THANK YOU! I appreciate you replying! My to-do list is getting shorter and I'm getting more confident that I'll get to actually ski on this ski vacation. My jello post-baby legs may fail me but at least I can give it a try!
February 20th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
Coats in car seats is something a lot of cold weather mamas don't know so I would never expect warm weather mamas to know it! I see so many babies being lugged around in their bulky snow suits but I'm not one to say anything. Here's a good video to watch & there are tons more out there http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CNGT9eBL_gg

I have all different types of bottles & strangely enough my baby's favorite are these cheapy gerber bottles. $3 for a 3 pack. Something about the nipple he loves. His second favorite is tomee tippee.

February 22nd, 2014, 07:42 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When we were in Texas Atlas lived in warm sleepers. They were cute and he was little so I was okay taking him out in them. I would put him in our carrier and then put a blanket over the carrier and tuck it into the waist straps and shoulder straps for an extra warm layer. When he wanted to see what was going on I would take the top out of the shoulder straps and fold it down to tuck it in closer to my boobs if that makes sense.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search