What do you do with baby all day?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By jennyrae03
  • 3 Post By mizza411
  • 1 Post By Spyctre
  • 1 Post By sweety_pie
  • 1 Post By Laurenj915
  • 4 Post By mizza411
  • 2 Post By sweety_pie
  • 1 Post By fancypants27

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I try to book as many mommy dates, and sign up for mom groups in the area, we go for walks, visit friends, etc, but when we're at home I have no idea what to do with myself or him! He loves his jumperoo so we get some time out of that while I make dinner. We have dance parties or listen to music, sometimes I carry him around while I tidy up the house. I bake sometimes. I just play with him sometimes. He goes on his playmat sometimes.

What do you do? Since he's more aware now I want to engage him without being his sole source of entertainment, but not sure what to do!
February 18th, 2014, 02:38 PM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here is our day in a nutshell:

He wakes up and has a bottle around 8:30am, then typically falls back to sleep for like 45 minutes. During that time I eat breakfast and pump. Then when he wakes up again, he gets a bath and gets ready for the day. After that (typically around 10-10:30am) I shower, he takes a nap in his bouncy seat while I'm showering and getting ready. At 11:30am we go to lunch at my in-laws. We get home around 12:30, and he usually naps from the time we get home until about 4pm. After that, we just hang out and do whatever seems like fun! Sometimes he plays in his Jumperoo, sometimes he lays on his activity gym thing. Sometimes he sits in his Bumbo seat and plays with toys. Other times he just sits on my lap and we just chat

He usually will stay awake until around 7:30 or 8pm, then he gets sleepy and will take little catnaps until it's time for bed!

I try not to overload him with activity throughout the day - he tends to get overstimulated and gets fussy. He always lets me know when he's had enough though, so that's good.
soul_donut likes this.
February 18th, 2014, 02:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, so much sleeping for little Logan, I'm jealous! I only get 45 min naps at a time, but we're working on it.
February 18th, 2014, 03:02 PM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah I actually was going to bring it up to the pediatrician at his 4 month appointment, because he naps A LOT. I was reading online the other day how babies at 4 months typically take two naps a day (generally like an hour to two hours long). He is getting the recommended 15 hours of sleep a day, so I suppose it's okay? lol I don't know. I just feel like I better at least mention it, to see what the doctor says!
February 18th, 2014, 05:53 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
Watch Law and Order? Lol
I wake up wayy too late (another post about that is elsewhere) So like today she woke at 4. We were up till 6:30 then napped till 2 pm..though I think she sometimes stays up and I just sleep Then we go somewhere just to get out of the house for an hour or two. Then it's bouncing, watch tv while she stands, play with toys.
Really I just wait for Dh to get home He's the super fun one! She wont ever let me just put her down to play by herself so its exhausting a lot of the time.
February 18th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Liliana can be needy and exhausting as well. All of my friends with children are too far away to visit often so I am here alone most of the time.

Our day.

AM
3:00 first boob
5:00 roll over and give second boob
6:20 I'm up to get DD1 ready for the bus
7:00 DD2 wakes up because there's another special needs child next door, and the bus has to back into the driveway to get his wheelchair on easier. So Winter wakes up because: beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep.... Change her diaper and fix breakfast for her, DH, and me. Hang out and do chores and chill till...
9:00-ish Lily wakes up. change diaper, give boob, and talk to her a bit. She gets tired of me, and I put her on the floor to watch tv, practice rolling, play with her toys, talk to us, etc. I do chores.
10:00 Pick Lily up, she wants people time.
10:30 cook lunch
11:00 eat lunch
11:30 give Lily boobs.
11:45 put Winter Rose down for nap.
11:47 more boobs for Lily, swaddle arms, rock to sleep.
PM
12:00 Lily wakes up. More boobs in bed, sneak out of room when she's asleep.
12:10 Sit on butt and recover from kids.
1:00 Lily wakes up. Try boob trick. Fail. Entertain baby.
1:15 Floor time
1:30 catnap
2:00 Winter wakes up. So does Lily. snacks and diapers. Foooooood....
2:55 Alice gets off bus. If Winter is sleeping long today, that ends. beep beep beep beep....
3:00 Alice snack, Lily boob. And we hang out, do chores.
5:00 cook supper.
5:45ish eat supper
6:00 drug Alice, Lily boob
6:30 bath
7:00 bed for older girls. Lily catnaps from here till
11 PM down for the night/ 5-6 hour stretch where I can sleep alone!

So we play and do floor time. She's starting to get her butt in the air. I see crawling in a few weeks!
mizza411 likes this.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven. Hoping to get knocked up in 2016. Sometimes.

http://arwenart.com
February 18th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, what a day! Stupid bus backing up! Would a noise machine help? I'm sure you thought of that already.

Sounds like I'm not the only one bored... I'll miss these days but they can be incredibly long trying to find the next thing to entertain him. I added a new thing toy later today, he likes when I don't so Ive been learning the lyrics to somgs I like and singing them to him. He likes it and I enjoy it too.
February 18th, 2014, 07:38 PM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our days goes like this lol

4-5am wakes for a bottle, then goes back to sleep.

7am wakes up for the morning (we need to get older kids ready for school) So he'll play on a blanket in the floor with the kids taking turns keeping him happy while I'm packing recess and making breakfast. We play a little bit after the kids leave mainly him in my arms.

8-9am he will have a bottle and drift off for his first cat nap, he will nap 10-20 mins usually just long enough for me to eat my breakfast lol

9:30 wake up (wow long nap ) then he takes turns in his exersaucer, playmat, chair, swing, and my arms until around lunch time.

12:30pm have a bottle and go down for another 10-20 min nap (time for mommy to eat lunch REALLY fast lol) Then he wakes, and we play all over again, or I carry him and do chores, sometimes I'll shower with him in his chair watching me.

3pm he will have another bottle and another 10-20 min nap, then its try and keep baby happy time again, by this point hes overtired and cranky usually, but hates to sleep. So its rough keeping him happy.

6pm another bottle, more cranky play time just trying to get by until bedtime, maybe another 10 min nap lol

9:30-10pm he will have his last bottle, then go down for the night. He usually wakes and fusses until about 11 just needing his paci each time.

That sound super tiring when I write it all out! No wonder mommy is so tired!! LOL

So basically floor time, exersaucer, chair, and swing time here, with lots of mommy cuddles, talks and playtime mixed in!
soul_donut likes this.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

February 18th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
7 am Tessa wakes up and nurses and coos and smiles
7:30 am Sawyer wakes up and starts yelling, banging toys, running into walls, jumping off chairs, singing wheels on the bus at the top of his lungs. Tessa sits in a bouncy seat with one eye cracked open making sure he doesn't get too close.
9:30 we go to story time or a playdate and Tessa hides in the wrap or Ergo peaking out once in a while to make sure no one is going to try to pick her up.

And it goes on like this the rest of the day.

Mostly she is just along for the ride on the toddler train all day but we have a few quiet moment were we get to talk and cuddle. This is why second kids are so laid back right?
soul_donut likes this.

February 18th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
I'm boring. I sit around & hold him & watch tv. He constantly wants to be held so it's really hard for me to do anything else which makes me feel like a horrible mom to my 4 year old. A young, childless girl once told me "he likes playing on the iPad right? He's enjoying himself. Don't beat yourself up." Wise beyond her years. Wish I could listen to her. Anyway, we wake up around 7am. School day-get DS up, get him ready & get him to school. Come home, clean, laundry, work out. Pick DS up. Lunch. Watch tv. Clean again (I have OCD). Maybe watch a movie, play a game, play video games, or whatever with DS. Cook dinner. Eat dinner. Work on DS learning his letters. Play go fish. Bath time. DS bed. Almost always have a baby on my hip. Non school days-up at 7am. Doze back off. DS sneaks over & gets on the iPad & watches mario puppets on youtube. Wake up at 10:30 & feel like a horrible mom because my poor child hasn't even had breakfast. Get him something to eat. Eat, watch tv. Entertain the baby all day (watch tv while doing so). Try to play with DS as much as possible. But we at least cuddle & talk all day. Lunch, dinner, bed, blah. So ready for winter to be over! I feel like I'm on the shining. Feel like a bad mom. Lazy, depressed, you name it. I seriously live in a town with nothing to do so we are cooped up everyday. Boring!

February 18th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Leah
On my days he is usually my nap buddy. I was concerned about whether he was sleeping too much also, so less worry in numbers I guess?

When I'm home with Logan, we wake a few times in the morning for boob and doze in between until about 10. It's awesome because we're up by 8 on my work days, so it's a bit of a sleep in for both of us and since he's not sleeping through, I appreciate it. After we wake up for real, we'll usually chat for a bit, then maybe watch some Baby Einstein. One episode is usually his threshold there. He's a bit over the Baby Beethoven and now liking Galileo. After that we do something more energetic - we usethe Jumperoo or have a dance party. He may nap after that. We try some tummy time. More chats and rolling around. Booby time is whenever he wants it.

When he's with Daddy, I think SO often works to keep him awake if they're home. He's bigger on the schedule stuff and I'm more roll with it. If we're both working he goes to my Mom's usually and they swing, have tummy time and dance and sing. If weather permits they take walks around the pool.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
February 19th, 2014, 07:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ugh, mommy guilt, no one is safe! Baby sleeps too much or too little. They're over stimulated, under stimulated, man, we can't win!

I like hearing about all your days, it interesting to hear what other people are doing. Cccbb, I can't wait for the winter to be over too!
February 19th, 2014, 09:06 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also cannot WAIT for winter to be over. I'm betting baby C will LOVE going for walks, and it will help mommy lose weight!
fancypants27 and MrsPea like this.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

February 19th, 2014, 12:27 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Ditto about reading about everyone's day - puts things in perspective. I sometimes fret about wanting to get more done and not being able to but I think I do a realistic amount.

Not counting this current growth spurt situation that is keeping him eating a lot more…

4 am - feeding
6 am - feeding, both in bed
8 am feeding, either in bed or on the sofa

I may make breakfast before or after the 8 am feeding and either eat it while he's in his bouncer or when he's on the boob while I watch TV

Little nap

Playtime / swing time / hang out and listen to mommy's guitar lessons and play with toys

Lunch for baby around 11-12, whenever he is hungry. Lunch for mommy whenever I can squeeze it in!

Playtime / hanging out with toys while I try to do chores

Midafternoon - feeding and hopefully a little nap.. same with late afternoon.

I will go to storytime at 9:15 am a day or two during the week, and most afternoons if it's nice I'll walk around 3-5 to jumpstart a nap if we haven't gotten enough yet. 5-6pm he wants to eat, and then 7pm he wants to eat and then go to sleep! If I do errands it's usually mid-morning but I try to get home by around 4 because it's easier on him. (and me to avoid rush hour )
February 20th, 2014, 11:18 AM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Typical day -

We don't do very much. And its been way too cold to take her out for walks. Occasionally we will go for walks in the mall. But she's not a big fan of the stroller.

She likes to lie on the floor or bed and play with toys. Her favorite is the crinkly book from Tanya (thank you again)

I carry her around a lot of the day while doing dishes, cleaning, and my embroidery/sewing work. Sometimes she won't tolerate me standing in one spot for more than 5 seconds... so I will vaccum, sweep - do something that keeps me moving.

She really loves to talk to me - so I will lie her on her back on the bed and fold laundry, pay bills etc.. and just talk to her and tell her what I'm doing. She can stay like this for hours.

Recently started putting her in the bumbo - but shes still kinda small for it and tilts. so its like 2-3 minutes at a time.

She won't tolerate the bouncer for very long, but sometimes i can get 15 minutes in there.

She loves sitting in the water - so if there is nothing to do, we will take a bath.
sweety_pie likes this.

February 22nd, 2014, 09:10 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love hearing everyone's day!

I try to get at least one chore done a day and to get out of the house at least 2-3 times a week. Fridays I allow myself to be lazy and watch more tv. lol.

Typically we wake up around 9am, my hubby leaves me a thermos of coffee by the bed so I have my coffee, check FB on my phone and chat/ play on the bed with Doug. Then it's bath time. I'll get him dressed and let him hang out in the bouncer while I get ready.

Then we head downstairs to his play area. He plays on his activity mat while I grab a bowl of cereal. By then he's about ready for his first nap around 10:30-11. I'll do dishes or relax on sofa. He typically naps 20-30 minutes. I change him, feed him, go back to play area for another hour or so. Then I spend another 1/2 hour trying to soothe him into his 2nd nap around 1. I make and eat lunch during this nap. After this I either go grocery shopping, or try to come up with something for us to do besides the play mat. Around 3:30 or 4 he's ready for a longer nap, but only if that is on me, so I watch tv and let him nap trap me. DH gets home between 6-7pm and I'll make dinner and we'll eat/ relax. Maybe Doug will cat nap. At 9 I start getting Doug ready for bed, DH will read to him while I shower, then we're all getting ready for bed.

I'm trying to get more playgroups and story times outside the house into the mix, but with all this snow and freezing temps it gets hard. I also meet my MIL at the mall every other week. DH can typically join us for lunch there too! Can't wait for spring!!!

February 22nd, 2014, 10:50 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I hear you guys on the winter. We have had snow on the ground since before Dawsyn was born. I feel like I am getting a bit of seasonal depression!

I usually get up around 7am with my toddler. She drinks her milk and watches cartoons while I do some computer stuff and drink coffee. I have breakfast, I feed the toddler. I usually pump once a day in the AM.
Dawsyn will usually sleep until about 8:30 or so.

If we are going to a playgroup or a friends place or dance class that day, we leave around 9:30. Dawsyn naps on the way there since we live 30 miles from town. She will go in the carrier or I will hold her while I do activities with my toddler at the various activities we attend. I try to go out 2-3 times per week with the kids.

We usually end up getitng home just before lunch, often Dawsyn naps again (30 mins) on the way home. I get my toddler down for a nap after we eat, feed Dawsyn, and try to get a few minutes to just chill without the constant demands of 2 kids on me. Sometimes I can get Dawsyn down again a little bit later.

Afternoons are usually pretty laid back- we have a snack, watch cartoons, play around. Make supper and wait for daddy to get home at 6pm or so.

On the days we are home... we don't do a lot. Dawsyn goes between the floor, her jumperoo, the bouncy seat, and nap time. I have a lot of mommy guilt for both girls- I don't engage dawsyn enough, my toddler watches too much TV, etc.

I'm feeling pretty bored these days to be honest. Spring can't come soon enough. Good thing it won't be spring around here until April.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search