How many of you have moved across country before?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Spyctre

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2014, 09:12 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
We have decided to go try and move in this next year. If you have moved like this, how did you go about it? We are thinking get DH to go alone to get work and find a place, and during that time he would just send money back till we can all move up there. I just hate the idea of being separated.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven. Hoping to get knocked up in 2016. Sometimes.

http://arwenart.com
April 21st, 2014, 04:08 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
Well we're moving across country. I've moved a few times if you count Tn to VA Usually we look online at apartments - but this is always for the military so he for sure has a job.I think it would depend on the area and cost of living. It might be cheaper to do like a pod/uhaul and just get an apartment if ya'll think you can stand the small space. Otherwise I would do it the way you're thinking - but sometimes 2 rents/mortgages can be tougher then up and moving.
April 21st, 2014, 07:51 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When my parents moved from TX to MA, my dad got a job as a realtor in TX then relocated through the same company. I know other folks as well that have used jobs with national chains to relocate.

Where are you thinking of moving too?

April 22nd, 2014, 11:27 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Louisiana to Oregon. We were really wanting to go to Washington before with Oregon being a close second. Finally decided on the latter. DH sells guns through Walmart, but he's been wanting to get out of that company. They really are d!cks. I guess he could just relocate through them then find a different job. I think I'll tell him to consider that.
soul_donut likes this.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven. Hoping to get knocked up in 2016. Sometimes.

http://arwenart.com
April 22nd, 2014, 11:36 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I have no advice, but I wanted to wish you guys luck. Very exciting!

Jamie age 37-Single mommy and loving life
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
April 29th, 2014, 11:30 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
We got a cushy corporate move, so we are spoiled. But for our housing situation, DH came down on his own and spent a weekend touring houses and neighborhoods with some realtors.

Things we would do differently: we would have rented for a year first to be SURE of where we wanted to live.

My mom did a similar move and hasn't admitted it but I'm sure that she wouldn't have doubled down on a property and the lot next door if she had lived there first. Now she has to worry about selling it if she wants to get the heck out of Mississippi.
April 29th, 2014, 05:03 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have, but it was with the military as well. When we moved from Tx to Ca Dh went first and then Addi and I (with the help of my mom) drove out when a house came available. When we PCS'd to Hawaii we all came together and stayed at a hotel until a house came available.

My friends (former military/currently civilian contractors) just moved from Hawaii to Maryland, the husband secured a job before they moved then they flew to Maryland for a week to house hunt, came back and packed, then flew to Maryland for good.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

May 6th, 2014, 06:31 PM
"Shay-see"
We did it but he found the job first. It's definitely hard - and that was before we even had the baby AND they set everything up for us to make the transition as smooth for us as possible.

I agree very much with renting for a while to make sure you understand the area and what sorts of things you want in a neighborhood. Real estate mistakes are very costly - ask me how I know! ;P

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search