Longggg trip and a cranky baby!

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2014, 09:23 AM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
Okay so the big move is coming up. 1500 miles and Phe does not like car rides.So, we got a portable DVD player and a bunch of kids movies. Somehow I will make it so she can watch it...I'll maneuver that...
I plan on having a bunch of toys I can throw at her (in a nice way...obviously ).
And we are going to stop a million times.
Any other tips? Driving so long was so much better when she was 3 weeks
May 20th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Just stop every 2-3 hours for 15-30 minutes. We have a couple older ones so the way we try to do it is go 3-4 and stopping at some place with a play area like Burger King or a nice rest area. We bring bubbles, etc. Lily wants to nurse every 3-4 hours, and if we aren't stopped, I'm a bad parent and nurse her in the backseat for a few minutes. I know...for shame, Arwen. For shame.

We wouldn't try to drive strait through for that long. We stop overnight if it's a 12+ hour drive.

James Arwen est. April 2, 2005
Alice Marie - January 9, 2008
Winter Rose - February 14, 2012
Liliana Vale - September 25, 2013

8 in Heaven Trying for #4!
May 20th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
We are going to the beach next month. GPS always says around 10.5 hrs but somehow it always takes us about 14 hrs. Last year we went on DS1's 4th birthday. What an awful way for a 4 year old to spend his bday. I still feel so guilty about filling his bday with travel because let's face it, travel sucks! I'm determined to make up for it this year including ice cream for breakfast. We stopped about 9 hours into the trip to stay at a hotel but it still sucked. This year we are driving through the night & letting the kids sleep!

May 20th, 2014, 03:42 PM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would start your trip at the time she typically goes to bed. That will eliminate a fair amount of feeding/stopping for the first stretch anyway. After that, frequent breaks! I can't imagine how uncomfortable it must be for kids in carseats. We are going on a couple 6-7 hour trips this summer and I'm already pitying my kid lol.

May 20th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Well we have to clear our apartment at like 9 am so there's no way I'm waiting till bedtime on the first day. When we reach Dallas or Memphis we will switch it up. And if she went 3-4 hours per trip I'd be so happy!! She can't stand longer than 2 hours tops. This will be no fun.
May 20th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Leah
I've managed to nurse in the back by hanging my tatas over Logan while he's in his seat. Uncomfortable, but works. I can only guess what anyone next to us thinks. Should probably tint my car.

I've got no other tips I'm afraid. No fun, but just like pregnancy, there's a definite end. Good luck!

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
May 25th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't done a long car trip, but did just come back from a trip where we were on a plane for 6 hours (delays ugh) on the way home and 5 hours on the way there, new toys are wonderful. Preferably things she's never seen before and lots of them. Doesn't even have to be something you buy. Kitchen utensils and tupperware are great. TV on the back of the seats were fine, but I didn't get a ton of mileage out of that. See what she likes and play those things. He sat perfectly still for 5 minutes for this one show and I tried to play it again and it was a no go. Variety is key. And since you won't be on a plane you can take breaks, that will be good!
May 28th, 2014, 05:29 PM
We just got done with plane rides too and that was sooo easy...car ride back home? Meh.Hopefully this will be okay

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search