Car Shopping: Car versus Crossover

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By QL1516

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2014, 08:35 PM
Leah
I hate car shopping.

So I'm looking at an Altima. I've had Nissans and they've always done me well, so not gonna tweak that. But I found they have crossover that starts in the same price range. A friend of mine got it, the Rogue Select, and she's loving the height because she is finding it easier to get her two year old in and out easier. We'd be losing some gas efficiency, but possibly gaining space and the height.

Anyone find the height a big difference in day to day ease? They both seat 5, so it's not gaining a full row of seating, but likely cargo and back seat room.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
May 25th, 2014, 06:07 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
We have a crossover, a Traverse. It can seat 8 with a small cargo area, or it can seat 5 with a large cargo area. We really like it, and it is a lot easier with the extra room since we have three kids. Sometimes we have to crawl in the back to do stuff. We had a big car before, a Buick, and our new one is just a little roomier than that one. Well, minus the extra seats.

If we just had the two girls still, we would have gone with a car. Even now we can still put all the girls on one row, but we're thinking about a few years from now. We keep vehicles till we run them into the ground so it will be 10+ years before we change this one.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven.

http://arwenart.com
May 25th, 2014, 08:19 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Looking forward to reading the responses, and your decision!

We have a MINI Countryman (4 door MINI), and while it's "okay" for a family of 3, it's gonna have to go whenever we have a second kid. I have been waffling about whether to get a car or a crossover. One of my main complaints right now is that I have zero trunk space, so I had been leaning towards a car, possibly a Ford Taurus. But it sounds like the crossovers have a lot of cargo space? I haven't ever really looked at one in person, so obviously I will need to test drive vehicles and all that beforehand. Just thinking ahead for when we have to make this decision down the road!

Good luck in your decision!
May 27th, 2014, 04:53 AM
Leah
I decided on the Altima. Arwen, your response helped me decide, so thanks. I too keep cars awhile and while the Rogue Select would be fine for now, if we had another baby, we'd want that third row of seating for anytime we had SO's older two kids with us. That wasn't in the budget right now, and a baby would be a little bit off at the earliest, so there wasn't much to gain by getting the Rogue. In a year or two we will know if we're going to have another and get the vehicle that makes sense then.

I'm liking the Altima. It's got so much more room than my Versa. We sat SO in the bank with Logan in the middle and he had plenty of legroom and hip room. (He's 6'2".) We got a couple upgrades like the backup camera and remote start - I will use the heck out of that this summer with Logan and the Florida heat. The trunk is a great size, several bodies big. The seats have an easy 60/40 split for more cargo space.

We had a bit of a Bad Luck Brian moment coming home: Buys new car, gets stuck in a hailstorm on the way home. In 91° Florida heat. I think Logi learned some new and colorful words on that trip. Fortunately it was OK and no damage to either car. I think I would've just had a hissy fit if it had left a mark. Of all things.
jamieshalon2 likes this.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump

Last edited by QL1516; May 27th, 2014 at 05:00 AM. Reason: It's too early for proofreading.
May 28th, 2014, 05:41 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Oh no about the hail storm, but the new altima sounds great. I hope that you guys continue to love it.

Jamie age 37-Married to Widget age 33 for 14 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search