Solids?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 8th, 2014, 08:59 AM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
How are solids going? Anyone still not started? How often do they eat/how much??

We sort of...slowed on the solids. We were doing 2 meals, but it was ehh....then the move happened and we kept eating out at places that really didn't offer baby friendly food (Buffalo Wild Wings isn't exactly "healthy") so we kind of only did dinner...sometimes. Now we're back to 2 meals and going to add breakfast soon - she's eating about a pouch a day with some finger foods added in for fun. We do some snacks, like fruit or puffs occasionally.
Right now she LOVES celery and will gum that all day long.
June 8th, 2014, 10:04 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Logan is doing great! He LOVES eating lol. I feed him two "formal" meals a day, lunch and supper. He typically has 2-3 frozen cubes of puréed fruits or veggies that I made, and then he also eats puffs, yogurt bites, little crunchers or baby mum-mums. He also is starting to eat real food too. He loves helping me eat my Greek yogurt in the morning. He has had pasta, rice, biscuits and pancakes. So far he has enjoyed all of it!
June 8th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Leah
Logi is a chow hound. He's getting really good at chewing - we're up to 5 teeth, 3 bottom, 2 top. He typically has two meals a day - brunch/breakfast and dinner. He loves yogurt and the oatmeal his daddy makes. We also let him feed himself bananas and blueberries. He's had rice, chicken, a bunch of veggies, and we're working through fruits. He really wants to do it himself; he started refusing the spoon and smacking his tray which I took to be a sign of him wanting puffs or something he could feed himself on his tray. So we worked out a system of eating til he starts refusing, then he gets a couple puffs, then he eats more, then puffs and so on. Doing that he will eat the whole container of yogurt or food.

Anyone giving any juice yet? Logan has started not wanting a bottle, which is a bit of a problem when I'm working. I'm thinking about introducing a sippy cup and SO suggested juice. Just something new to grab his attention when he's with a sitter. I think our doctor said it was OK, but I honestly can't recall. I told SO I'd want to read up before we did it.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump

Last edited by QL1516; June 8th, 2014 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Logan, not Loam. What is a Loam and why does my phone want to use it? Why is it capitalized?
June 8th, 2014, 12:47 PM
I havent given juice yet...we need to start on more water since it's SOOOO HOT in AZ! I get dehydrated just walking outside.
June 8th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Blah, story of my life, Henry hates most food. He makes faces and gags and it's generally not a fun experience for anyone, so I've been just doing it every couple of days and not really forcing it. I'll offer food at least once a day, but no formal meals, and I'm lucky if I get a spoonful in that isn't spit back out or a half of a baby mum mum. Thinking I'll probably make an appointment with the nutritionist at my dr's soon. Every other baby seems to LOVE food, and my little guy is like WTH is this, I want boob, mom, give me boob.
June 8th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I've tried and tried with Lily. She's still EBF! This is taking forever! lol I halfway don't mind right now because it's holding off AF.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven.

http://arwenart.com
June 8th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Leah
^ Lucky. AF showed here before I gave him one bite. I don't think his intake has slowed much either - plus I pump often at work - and it's practically clockwork now.

June 8th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Arwen, so glad I'm not the only one!
Spyctre likes this.
June 8th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Tried food again a little while ago. Mashed potatoes. She tolerated the first tiny smidge, and then bobbed and weaved her head every time I tried to give more. Lips clamps shut... I got one more bit into her, and she gagged to the point of dry heaving. =P

Guess she's a boobie baby for a little while longer!
mizza411 likes this.

June 8th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Proud mommy!
We are doing 2-3 meals a day here. She will usually get 2 to 3 cubes of pureed baby food per meal. So far she has loved everything. Haven't really ventured into the finger foods yet. She doesn't have any teeth yet, so I get a little nervous about it. I have given her a few teething biscuits, but those usually end up on the floor. No juice yet either, but our oldest DD doesn't really get juice either. We usually only have milk and water in the house.

June 8th, 2014, 08:15 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Natania is a total piglet, she eats 6-9 ounces 2-3 times a day. We started making a lot of her own food otherwise we'd be out $300 a month
June 9th, 2014, 02:38 AM
Leah, have you tried just plain water? My Logan thinks it's fantastic! I actually have to take his sippy cup away if I ever give him one with water in it because he will chug it and drink it way too fast! I think just the change in flavor/texture is enough to entice them without having to give them juice!
June 9th, 2014, 05:25 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Sophie loves plain water. She drinks mine ALL the time. She doesn't like juice too much and I am perfectly fine with that.
as for food, she kind of snacks all day just like her brothers do. She does get the one main meal a day and for that she just eats whatever we are eating. Last night she had chicken and mashed potatoes for din din. For lunch she had a yo baby apple flavored yogurt. She liked it for the most part, but she is really into table foods now. I haven't bought baby food in ages. She would flat out refuse puree's.

Jamie age 37-Married to Widget age 33 for 14 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
June 9th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Leah
We haven't tried water yet, but I like that idea more so than juice. I think we'll try that later on today. Usually he's only with a sitter for 4, 5 hours maximum, though if he's with SO afterward he could be away from the boob about 8, 9 hours. Being that it's Florida I just worry about keeping fluids in him, especially when he's active.

June 9th, 2014, 11:17 AM
I agree with water before juice - personal preference of course, but to me it just seems like a lot of unnecessary sugar for a baby that's not saying I will never give my kid juice, but I like the idea of him learning to like water and not always relying on a juice box!
QL1516 likes this.
June 9th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the no juice, but if it's between no fluids or juice then I think it makes sense to give. Hopefully Logan will take the water.

Arwen, this is exactly what we experience. This morning I was lucky I put one slice of frozen strawberry in his boon eating thing and he ate half of it. I got excited and put a teaspoon of banana in it and then it was all over.
June 9th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Lily won't take water yet.. She won't take a bottle period. lol I need to go get a sippy and see if that works.

June 9th, 2014, 09:32 PM
I crushed a blackberry and put it in her sippy to flavor the water...she drank more than the usual but she knew it wasn't milk! So maybe you can do that too? Just put like a fruit in it and let it be "infused water"?
QL1516 likes this.
June 9th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Good idea!

June 10th, 2014, 07:40 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Doug took to a sippy cup right away, he loved the ice water. I've actually started putting BM supplemental formula in them, figure I could sneak a little nutrition in the 1/2 oz he actually drinks from it. I've also heard toddlers sometimes refuse milk in a sippy, so maybe we could bypass that problem too??

Right now I split a 4oz jar into two meals, and mix a tablespoon of rice cereal into into the purees. We're working on veggies, and it's going pretty good. The only things he hasn't been that keen on are green veggies & avocados. But he hasn't refused them either.

I've given him some scrabbled egg and puffs but with major gaging, so it's slow going on the finger foods.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search