QOTW - Interracial Children and Fitting In.

Forum: Interracial Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Interracial Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 1st, 2010, 08:00 PM
Perfectly~Flawed's Avatar ♥ Proud Potterhead! ♥
Send a message via AIM to Perfectly~Flawed Send a message via Yahoo to Perfectly~Flawed
Do you think interracial children have more problems fitting in than children of one race do?

February 2nd, 2010, 05:45 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I have eight children who are "biracial"/black and white, and another on the way. They range in age from 15 to 1 (and edd May). None of my children have any problems fitting in, making friends, or feeling comfortable in any setting.

I think it is less of a race issue and more of a confidence issue. I try to make sure my children are confident in who they are and love themselves.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
February 2nd, 2010, 05:56 AM
karmaissotrue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to karmaissotrue Send a message via Yahoo to karmaissotrue
I think with some children they might & some they might not....It depends on a lot of factors...upbringing, location, and just the person themself.

I'm purposely sending Chace to schools were there are other biracial children.... There's a town right over from mine that has a high biracial population. Chace as of right now doesn't look mixed @ all so most people assume he's White, & I'm the Nanny (Yes I've gotten quite a few looks & comments)...I'm praying that this is something that my family won't have to go through forever

THANKS SO MUCH KILIKI FOR THE WONDERFUL SIGGY
February 2nd, 2010, 10:21 AM
Perfectly~Flawed's Avatar ♥ Proud Potterhead! ♥
Send a message via AIM to Perfectly~Flawed Send a message via Yahoo to Perfectly~Flawed
I have always had issues with "fitting in" and I am black.

I was raised in a mostly black area and went to majority black schools (Elementary and Jr High). I was always teased for "Not being black enough" I was taken off the bus many times until the school went ahead and paid for taxi rides because the bus was where most of the bullying took place, once my hair was even cut.

So...I worry about this with Lynda. This town is just...its hard to explain Lubbock

We have some ideas of schools though - mostly privates but we have time to look into them.

February 2nd, 2010, 10:49 AM
LuvMyToriBug's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aww, Nicole, I am so sorry about the issues that you faced as a child/teenager!! Maybe it is just the location **shrugs**! Anyway, I am going to go ahead and respond with my original thoughts.........I was going to say that in society, today, it seems to be much more accepted than years ago. So, I would say that fitting in with others would not seemingly be a big problem. I hope that Lynda will be just fine and not be subjected to unacceptable behavior!!

February 2nd, 2010, 11:49 AM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Of course, I have no personal experience in this but I taught HS for 5 years in the RTP area in NC. There were a lot of mixed race children and for the most part, I did not see any major problems with them fitting in. They all had friends and it didn't appear that there was any ridicule. I do remember hearing one comment in passing (I worked in athletics and the kids talked without really paying attention to me at times) about someone not being black enough so I am sure it does happen, which is horrible I think a lot depends on upbringing and attitudes at home because IMO it trickles down

February 2nd, 2010, 12:49 PM
mis2chicas's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Both of my girls are bi-racial, hispanic/caucasion. So far we have not had any problems but they are not the exception here. It is obvious when people see us together that they are bi-racial(I am blonde, pale, blue eyed while they are both tan, brown hair, brown eyes) and in Nebraska we did get looks. I did get one comment here that a lady thought I was a redneck (because I'm blonde and all) until she saw my girls and realized they were bi-racial.

February 3rd, 2010, 08:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to SweetiePeas&Me
I think it depends on a lot of factors. It can happen to anyone, regardless of race. In my school growing up, it all had to do with socio-economic status. If you didn't have the money... you weren't 'in'. And of course, if you don't have an outgoing personality, you are more of a target as well. There was a biracial girl (black and white) in my class and she was a cheerleader and very accepted. That was over 10 years ago and in Alabama. I think things have come a long way in most areas racially... but I'm sure there are areas where its still a big deal. Kids that look down on others are really just insecure about themselves. They like to pick on others in hopes that others won't see their own flaws.
February 3rd, 2010, 10:51 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I really think it depends on the races represented (or the only race that appears, in some cases) and the environment of the school. It also depends in part on the confidence of the child. It doesn't matter what race(s) you are if you're the coolest kid in school... top of the class, sports, music, club memberships, etc. I remember one time knowing a girl who was half Mexican and half Japanese... wow... the most beautiful girl I've ever seen! If you're in a school environment that has a racial past (racist parents/grandparents), or in a school that has primarily only one race, yeah, it might be an issue.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search