You and your SO

Forum: Interracial Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Interracial Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 5th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Perfectly~Flawed's Avatar ♥ Proud Potterhead! ♥
Send a message via AIM to Perfectly~Flawed Send a message via Yahoo to Perfectly~Flawed
How did you two meet? How long have ya'll been together?

Have ya'll faced any problems being a Interracial Couple?

February 5th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DH and I met at the hospital where we both work. I met him in 2008 after he started there.
We have been together since April 2009

Depending on where we are, we do get a lot of stares. Usually from older people. DH is filipino/italian and he does look hispanic. Plus tattoos and piercings, and same with me. And then you have me waddling around with him with a big ol' belly.

We don't really care. People are entitled to their opinion, but their opinions are based on ignorance and stupidity.
February 5th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!

we met in highschool! we dated then but broke up! We were together about a year then and then we got back together about 5 years ago..we have been married for almost 4 now.

Not really..sometimes we get stares but we dont really care! We have seen alot of interracial couples when we were growing up so its nothing new to us!
February 5th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Perfectly~Flawed's Avatar ♥ Proud Potterhead! ♥
Send a message via AIM to Perfectly~Flawed Send a message via Yahoo to Perfectly~Flawed
Shortly before my father passed in 03 I started working at one of our movie theatres here and Sohn also worked there. I remember when I first saw him tall white boy with cornrolls amazing blue eyes...I had a crush on him right then and there. But of course he was 19 and I was 16. As time passed we became good friends but after I graduated High School I moved to Austin for college. I came back home not even a year later and he found me again on myspace

We havent faced many problems and the ones we have are from my family.. mainly my uncle and his wife whom we only see once a year so I could care less.

We get stares, mostly curious ones. More so when its just me and Lynda since she is so bright with blue eyes and red hair...and me...I have none of that

February 6th, 2010, 02:47 PM
karmaissotrue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to karmaissotrue Send a message via Yahoo to karmaissotrue
How did you two meet? Believe it or not online

How long have ya'll been together? Been together 7 yrs ......married 2

Have ya'll faced any problems being a Interracial Couple? No not really, my DH grew up in a very very urban area... his family was the only white family, so he was picked on a lot by other kids growing up. He basically had to fight to gain respect in his neighborhood (as a kid of course)

His family is very down to earth

As far as outsiders, we've gotten looks before but it's gotten better over time

THANKS SO MUCH KILIKI FOR THE WONDERFUL SIGGY

Last edited by karmaissotrue; February 6th, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
February 7th, 2010, 01:57 PM
~ Ada ~'s Avatar Zen
How did you two meet? We met online, engaged two weeks later, and married 6-weeks later

How long have ya'll been together? 11-years and counting!

Have ya'll faced any problems being a Interracial Couple? Yes, from family to complete strangers, we get comments like why did you marry him, you should take a break away from each other, the list is endless

A family is a place where minds come in contact with one another.
If these minds love one another the home will be as beautiful as a flower garden.
But if these minds get out of harmony with one another it is like a storm that plays havoc with the garden.

~ Buddha

February 18th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How did you two meet? We met on an online message board for shy people lol.

How long have ya'll been together? Almost 6 years

Yeah, his family ( I hate them). He kicked them out of our lives. I feel bad for him b/c he doesn't have them anymore, but they just wouldn't give it a rest. They don't even know about our new baby.

February 18th, 2010, 11:17 AM
katiebear's Avatar Ryder's BIGGEST Fan!!
Send a message via AIM to katiebear Send a message via Yahoo to katiebear

We met on an online dating site called plentyoffish.com... I work as a nanny at the family's house, so not much socialization there. And my schedule is crazy so I have to take online classes, so none there... so I used the Internet. At the time, I was on my way out of a VERY bad relationship. That guy tried to keep me from going places and tried to control who I would talk to... then I stumbled across some emails and found out he had been cheating on me the whole time with guys and girls both, people he met on the personal ads on craigslist... for the whole time we were together. My thinking was that he was doing things FAR from innocent, so if I went and had lunch or dinner with someone new, I shouldn't feel bad. We met at the mall and had lunch, that was all. I didn't even let him kiss me good bye. There wasn't even a hug. Just I had a good time and I'll see you later...

The break up messed with my head a little so that is why it took me so long between meeting him and accepting his offer to be his girlfriend, because he asked me out a few times before I finally said yes. I just felt it was too soon, blah blah blah. We dated almost 2 months before I finally agreed to be his gf. We became a couple on Thanksgiving Day I joke that I had a lot to be thankful for last year!

As far as problems, we really haven't faced any. My family is very blended with black and biracial cousins (yes I have black cousins, they were adopted), so someone coming in who was "the first Asian" was pretty easily acceptable. I have dated very few white guys honestly. Mostly black or biracial. I am just very attracted to darker skin! Ha ha. Then with his family, his dad is white and his mom is Japanese. His brother is married to a girl who is Puerto Rican... so they are very blended as well. For the most part out in public we don't get stares, or don't notice them anyway. But there are so many interracial couples here nowadays that people are probably used to it by now.

Last edited by katiebear; February 18th, 2010 at 11:19 AM.
February 26th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How did you two meet? online
How long have ya'll been together? 8 years this year, married 5.5

Have ya'll faced any problems being a Interracial Couple? No major problems. We live in a pretty opened minded area, we have gotten a few looks here and there but nothing major.
February 26th, 2010, 12:07 PM
We met at our recruiting station 2 1/2 years ago, and have been married a year in April.

As far as being an interracial couple, my mom was really upset about it at first. She said, "I don't want any squinty eyed grandchildren." My husband is 1/2 Korean, 1/4 Puerto Rican, 1/4 everything under the sun. But he really just looks Korean, and we fully anticipate our children to look far more Asian than my pasty white German/Irish butt. My mother now adores my husband, despite his race, and she likes to pretend all of our children will have blonde hair and blue eyes.
February 26th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
How did you two meet? How long have ya'll been together? We've been together for 7 years now.. We actually met online on a car forum.. What's funny is we have the same car, his and hers.. lol

Have ya'll faced any problems being a Interracial Couple?Not really.. Even though I live up in N. Idaho we've never had any problems.. But we do tend to get excited when we see someone other then a Caucasian person, it's a rarity up where I live..

February 27th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Cali_Mommy's Avatar Super Mommy

My DH and I met at a WNBA game. I was working there and he was attending the game. We talked the whole game and when he left he went straight to the box office and bought a ticket to the next game. Three days later he came to the next game and brought me a rose and a card. That was 4.5 years ago and we have been together ever since.

Living in CA we haven't had any problems other than occasional dirty looks, but we just laugh about it. My DH is from AL and at some point we will have to go out there to visit. I'm not really sure what to expect though.

March 8th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3atthisvolume View Post
We met at our recruiting station 2 1/2 years ago, and have been married a year in April.

As far as being an interracial couple, my mom was really upset about it at first. She said, "I don't want any squinty eyed grandchildren." My husband is 1/2 Korean, 1/4 Puerto Rican, 1/4 everything under the sun. But he really just looks Korean, and we fully anticipate our children to look far more Asian than my pasty white German/Irish butt. My mother now adores my husband, despite his race, and she likes to pretend all of our children will have blonde hair and blue eyes.
Really?
My Husband is 1/2 Filipino, 1/2 Italian. I'm Scottish. His whole family is hoping that our daughter will get black hair like DH, and blue eyes like me and have DH's olive skin. She would be gorgeous but I am not so sure what will happen.

Regardless our kids (everyone on this board) are cuter than most!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search